• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Lifter Tap

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018

Video of tap. Sorry for the poor quality my plan was to just record every startup until I randomly catch it. And this time it did it if you listen closely to the first 3secs of the video. I will also try to record it with hood open so you can hear it more clearly.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
All Hyundai 4 cylinders have a high pressure fuel pump that is actuated by the camshaft. You will hear the tapping constantly. If you'll play the video again and notice it gets louder as the OP moves towards the front of the motor or drivers side. I've owned enough Hyundai's to recognize this sound.

It's normal and it is the high pressure fuel pump noise. It's louder when the engine is at it's coldest.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
All Hyundai 4 cylinders have a high pressure fuel pump that is actuated by the camshaft. You will hear the tapping constantly. If you'll play the video again and notice it gets louder as the OP moves towards the front of the motor or drivers side. I've owned enough Hyundai's to recognize this sound.

It's normal and it is the high pressure fuel pump noise. It's louder when the engine is at it's coldest.
The weird thing about this is it’s only some days you can hear it. It’s done it upon warm starts and cold starts. And there’s really no pattern to it. It’s just random.But I am also very familiar with the noisy pumps since I work for Hyundai. This sounds a little different than the usual pump noise. I may try removing the engine cover and padding around the pump and place the camera somewhere close to see if you’re right.

Aug 18, 2019
SoCal
The weird thing about this is it’s only some days you can hear it. It’s done it upon warm starts and cold starts. And there’s really no pattern to it. It’s just random.But I am also very familiar with the noisy pumps since I work for Hyundai. This sounds a little different than the usual pump noise. I may try removing the engine cover and padding around the pump and place the camera somewhere close to see if you’re right.
I have the same noise, but I'm not worried, my 2017 Chevy colorado did something similar and most people on the forums decided it was the high-pressure fuel pump or the cam phasers. I monitored the oil and filter for 18k miles and saw no signs of metal shavings or undue wear. It seems that a lot of new cars with direct injection do this and it's just a quirk.

Edit: also I see now that this is a little bit of an old thread, does your car still do it at random? my truck did it to for seemingly no reason.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
I have the same noise, but I'm not worried, my 2017 Chevy colorado did something similar and most people on the forums decided it was the high-pressure fuel pump or the cam phasers. I monitored the oil and filter for 18k miles and saw no signs of metal shavings or undue wear. It seems that a lot of new cars with direct injection do this and it's just a quirk.

Edit: also I see now that this is a little bit of an old thread, does your car still do it at random? my truck did it to for seemingly no reason.
I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that it’s the pump running dry or something fuel pressure related because when it does it randomly the car has the hard starts. Our Hyundai engineer said something about leaking injector seals but I’m just gonna let it go because it’s not causing any serious problems and since they’re aware of the problem I’m sure if enough people report it they’ll make a tsb

Reactions: R Veloster N