• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Less sound after tips and valve spring change

Artza

Aug 11, 2021
España
Hi there

Recently i changed the tips and i put new ones, 76mm in and 114 outside. At same time i changed the valve spring for a new one, no because the original was failing, only to improve it.

I have gpf delete in my car. Before doing the tips and spring change, the sound of the car was loud as f***, with a lot of pops and bangs at low revs. You could hear it with the windows close

Now, the sound of inside has completely dissapear. Its sound less than with the original gpf. At same time the pops and bangs are less noise.

The valve works ok, the tips are not original, it can be the electronic sound generator ?

Have you somehow mounted the spring wrong, so that it's closed when it is supposed to be open and vica versa? If that's even possible...

The exhaust tips can impact the sound a little bit (not that much, but it is noticable).
Make sure the valve functions as intended, the spring may have been installed wrong (yes, it is possible).
The sound generator could also have died, though it does not impact the amount of pops and bangs.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Hi,
The valve spring works, if i change between all modes the noise changes and the pops and bangs appears, i checked with a camera and in n mode when accelerate its open, in normal mode its close completely.

I noticed that, when i drive in slow km/h i could heard the pops and bangs more than when i drive faster, i suppose its because the noise of the air is louder than the exhaust.

That doesnt happen before with the oem tips, so it can be possible that the tips can create less noise sensation inside the car ?

The sound generator its in front, how its possible that it takes the sound of the exhaust ?

The exhaust tips do not change the amount of pops and bangs you get. That is dependent on the engine mode and engine temps as well as how hard you drive it.

The sound generator its in front, how its possible that it takes the sound of the exhaust ?
The sound generator impacts the sound within the whole driving cabin. Usually you cannot pinpoint that the generated sound comes from the front of the car. To make sure it's not the sound generator, unplug it and see if something changed soundwise.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Again, visually check the exhaust flapper operation In different modes. In N-Mode, the flap will be wide open. If the flap isn’t wide open, it’s not functioning correctly.

Again, visually check the exhaust flapper operation In different modes. In N-Mode, the flap will be wide open. If the flap isn’t wide open, it’s not functioning correctly.

Only with some revs though, right? At least mine isn't all the way open at idle...

Checked, in normal mode its close completely, in n mode and custom (sport + exhaust) its open completely

The tip ends bit outside of the back, 2 or 3 cm

Driving in a tunnel i get to 5500rpm and the bangs appeares

The problem is that i feel less noise than before, i have gpf delete and inside car with the windows open the noises is lower than with the gpf on.

To explain easily, before, at 2000rpm driving, its sound quite hard, so noisy, with windows open, and now, yo only can heard if you go up to 4000rpm, the sound of the pops and bangs are more quiet too....

I don,t know, i have the revision in 4000km, but our car dealers mechanics are so poor, probably they will have no idea 🤣

Only with some revs though, right? At least mine isn't all the way open at idle...

Any comment on this? Getting worried that I made a mistake by installing my upgraded spring a while back now

Any comment on this? Getting worried that I made a mistake by installing my upgraded spring a while back now
I put back the original spring again, its working ok, i supposed, in n its opens and in normal its close

At tuesday i will go to the car dealer to see what can it be, i hope they can give me a explanation about the lack of sound

No you haven’t made a mistake. I believe
I put back the original spring again, its working ok, i supposed, in n its opens and in normal its close

At tuesday i will go to the car dealer to see what can it be, i hope they can give me a explanation about the lack of sound

Remember the valve is bi modal 👍

No you haven’t made a mistake. I believe

Remember the valve is bi modal 👍
Yes, withouth gas, its bit open, when i put normal mode and give gas, its closed and in n mode its open totally, its why im saying that the problem must be another.... The esg ? Or the tips ? Anyway at tuesday i will know more (or not 🤣)

Finally i went to the car dealer. They put the obd and all stats where OK. So the next step is change the tips to the oem ones.

I hope that with this it could be solved, because the sound is much less hard