• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Drag to reposition cover

Fastback Leo's Engine Red i30 Fastback N Performance

92lleo

Nthusiast
May 22, 2020
Munich - Germany
kuenzler.io
Hi Guys!

Finally got my N at home! It's a fastback performance with navi, comfort and sunroof, MY19, was my dealers the company car since 11/2019.

Sold my first and last car, a 1989 "brillant rot" BMW E30, around 8 years ago (I was young and needed the money...), so I was sure the next car has to be red again. As this is my daily driver, comfort package and sunroof also had to be in the car, I choose not to get the strut in the back for space reasons. Sadly, the dealer didn't program "keyfob window down" in 2019, they tired when handing it to me, but it doesn't work as of 2020.
I do not plan do do much modding (yet :p). The things currently on the todo are:
  • Getting rid of the license plate holders (rear done, front todo)
  • N badges for side skirts and front seats (front done, sides todo)
  • New rims (maybe)
  • Remove "fastback" badge
  • LED license plate lights
  • LED lights inside (the yellow lights are just awful. We also have the 2018 ioniq at home, same parts but nice white leds.)
  • Divider for arm rest box (done)
  • headunit based comfort mods
    • Wireless Android Auto
    • fake handbrake always on for headunit (unlock certain android auto / carplay input features)
    • logging of available engine data and car vs gps speed
  • Dashcam (done, better cable management still todo)
I'll make a separate post for every todo item and link them once done.

You'll see my driving around in Munich mostly, sometimes in NÖrdlingen :)

Finally, a pictures of my old and some of my new one:
2012-09-21 14.29.45.jpgIMAG0383_2 (1).jpgIMAG0380_2.jpg20200715_110026 (1).jpg

Greetings from Munich, Germany!
Leo

Last edited:
Wireless Android Auto and other headunit based comfort mods
Welcome!
Very curious how this would be achieved? There seem to be plenty of Apple CarPlay wireless dongles available, but for Android I was only able to find the xda based half-baked method...

Very curious how this would be achieved? There seem to be plenty of Apple CarPlay wireless dongles available, but for Android I was only able to find the xda based half-baked method...
Based on the half baked xda method actually :p I tried it in the ioniq before getting the N and it worked, just had some issues with the 2nd phone i used. I plan to have a phone with mobile data in the car anyway for headunit wifi access, this can be used for the wifi-usb bridge from xda. I also want to try to build a dongle like those for carplay, looking at the xda-versions code it should be possible. However, like always, freetime is the limiting factor here. If i succeed, I'll post a detailed guide

Reactions: Bu11eT
Had my first commute with the N today and I'm happy with the fuel usage when driving below the fun oil temp:p Slow but flowing traffic, cold start and 15 minutes of driving at 7.3l. It's also great how fast the car starts to heat the cabin after a cold start.
On the not-so-happy side: I think my N has the harder shift in 5th/6th gear issue, I have to read into that again and observe.
200717.jpeg

On the not-so-happy side: I think my N has the harder shift in 5th/6th gear issue, I have to read into that again and observe.

Here's the how-to. This should solve it:

Is it possible to notice the 6th gear issue before buying the car while sitting inside it stationary and shifting?

Is it possible to notice the 6th gear issue before buying the car while sitting inside it stationary and shifting?

not really. especially since nearly every car should have some choppy gears when its new. Usually those issues disappear after the first thousands kilometers, but the 5./6. gear seems to keep being choppy on most cars.

But in general you'll only really notice it when the car is rolling.

Reactions: KawaiiiO
Had my first commute with the N today and I'm happy with the fuel usage when driving below the fun oil temp:p Slow but flowing traffic, cold start and 15 minutes of driving at 7.3l. It's also great how fast the car starts to heat the cabin after a cold start.
View attachment 14338
The gear oil hasn't warmed up on a short run like that, get it warmer and then try the 5-6again.

The gear oil hasn't warmed up on a short run like that, get it warmer and then try the 5-6again.
You're right, my bad, I wasn't clear enough in my post. The choppy 5/6th gear is also present when going longer distances/times (>1hr) and the car has >7k km. I'll just drop by the dealer the next time i drive by.

Done with the first small mods!
First one is more a convenience addition: A divider for the arm rest box:
Get it here: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07CTG185Q/ (13€)
Unfortunately, other than in the amazon images, theres a big "KONA" badge on the rubber. But as it fits the purpose perfectly, i don't mind. As for my picture: Usually it fits perfectly, I just put it back in and didn't fully align it.
IMAG0444.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Also done today: Removed the rear license plate holder and replaced it with velcro. After extensive cleaning and removing of grease residues, the parts are sticking very strongly to the car/license plate. Once fitted the License plate onto the car, it looks very clean and sticks perfectly. I'd say it's easier to rip of a standard license plate holder than getting that thing off again :D After fitting I'm still not sure if I should have gone with shorter plates, just took the standard size ones cause the car has standard-sized holders
Get it here: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07THX755H/ (18€ for front and rear)
before:
old.jpgIMAG0446.jpg
after:
IMAG0449.jpgIMAG0450.jpg
I don't really know how i should proceed with the front, as the holder does not cover the whole license plate and is not as flat as the rear car part. I fear, that the wind pressure on the lower part of the license plate could be higher than the "stickyness" of the glue and velcro. I'll maybe just try and fit it, then, after letting the glue rest, apply pressure on the lower part and see, how it behaves.
IMAG0451.jpg

Last edited:
Also small, but eye-candy: The N badges on the front seats.
I got 4 of them and planned to put them in the back, too. Now I think I'll keep the two left as spare ones. The one on the drivers seat looks a bit off, I aligned it perfectly with the imprint logo tough. Maybe the spare has to come into play here:)
Get it here: https://www.hype-td.de/p/hyundai-i30n-n-performance-sitzbadges (15 € for 2 + small postage)
IMAG0406.jpgIMAG0415.jpgIMAG0416 (1).jpg

Old Norse kona meaning "woman" or "wife." In Hawaiian; leeward or dry side of the island.

The mats you can get in plain, without the word Kona. The are available, I just can't remember wear at the moment. When I find them, I'll post the link. :)

Reactions: 92lleo
I don't really know how i should proceed with the front, as the holder does not cover the whole license plate and is not as flat as the rear car part. I fear, that the wind pressure on the lower part of the license plate could be higher than the "stickyness" of the glue and velcro. I'll maybe just try and fit it, then, after letting the glue rest, apply pressure on the lower part and see, how it behaves.
View attachment 14375

shouldn't be an issue with the fronts. have mine now for nearly 20k km on there, they just won't move at all ;)

shouldn't be an issue with the fronts. have mine now for nearly 20k km on there, they just won't move at all ;)
Glad to hear! Just checked your car, you mounted to front plate centered vertically, I guess that's the best way to not have it flying off :D I'd like to keep it aligned by the upper edges of the plate and the holder (as it is now). We'll see if that also works. Maybe, I'll add a small support piece below the holder, so the plate just can't be pressed in on the bottom side.

Reactions: Bu11eT
Yesterday I fitted the dashcam from my old car into the i30n and it just took 2 hours until it recorded the first guy that tried to hurt my car..:D Glad he used his indicators, otherwise my reaction might have been slower. why use mirrors...

i30n_1_high.gif

Anyway, installing: It's easier to hide the cable in the i30n than in an opel corsa. The cable is barely visibe, except when it comes to the center console (didn't have the time and motivation to actually hide the cables). I'll do that later, when i have to hide the cable to the glove box for my hotspot and wireless android auto phone. Then also properly, with power source directly from the fuse box instead of an consumer 12v socket
IMAG0413.jpgIMAG0411.jpgIMAG0410.jpgIMAG0408 (1).jpg

Also done today: Removed the rear license plate holder and replaced it with velcro. After extensive cleaning and removing of grease residues, the parts are sticking very strongly to the car/license plate. Once fitted the License plate onto the car, it looks very clean and sticks perfectly. I'd say it's easier to rip of a standard license plate holder than getting that thing off again :D After fitting I'm still not sure if I should have gone with shorter plates, just took the standard size ones cause the car has standard-sized holders
Get it here: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07THX755H/ (18€ for front and rear)
before:
View attachment 14371View attachment 14372
after:
View attachment 14373View attachment 14374
View attachment 14375

Like @Bu11eT said, they won't move at all. However I stuck my front plate on directly. If you feel like they're a bit loose, press on them and move them around slightly, they'll get a bit tighter that way.

Reactions: 92lleo and Bu11eT
Welcome!
Actually, Android Auto wireless dongle is available (just search Wireless Android Auto on AliExpress). I haven't tried it "yet" but most certainly will once postal services are back to normal-ish so I can order one. Still got 4 packages stuck in China, 1 stuck in Russia and 1 stuck in US :(

Actually, Android Auto wireless dongle is available (just search Wireless Android Auto on AliExpress). I haven't tried it "yet" but most certainly will once postal services are back to normal-ish so I can order one. Still got 4 packages stuck in China, 1 stuck in Russia and 1 stuck in US :(
afaik the android auto wireless dongles requires an apk to be installed and is only meant for aftermarked headunits (other than the Carplay ones, that actually bridge usb to wifi). Do you have a link to share?