• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

LED headlights

John Jackson

Jan 2, 2018
I would like new owners views on the cars headlights and their performance. Are they significantly better than say Xenon/HID lights? I drive in the dark alot, and good headlights are a priority. Does main beam give a good range?
Thanks.

I would say they're not quite as good as xenons in my Z. But I would also say that they weren't as good as the Jap-spec lights I had in my Subaru years ago, and they in turn weren't a patch on the driving lamps I had on a Micra SR in the mid 90s.

At least with the LED ones you don't need washers.

I think overall they offer good range and visibility. Driving in the dark this morning down some country roads and never felt like I needed more. High beam assist works well too.

Trying to remember my M135i with xenons. I would say it’s pretty similar.

The automatic main beams is pretty effective. I can't fault the visibility at all, I drive to work in the dark every morning.

Reactions: paul-h
One thing I hadn't twigged about the DRLs until I was behind a very shiny car in a queue tonight was that they go out when the handbrake is on.

Reactions: paul-h
One thing I hadn't twigged about the DRLs until I was behind a very shiny car in a queue tonight was that they go out when the handbrake is on.

The pickup I use on the farm and also at work do this! Isuzu’s

P.s I’m glad you are not one of these idiots that sit in a queue or at traffic lights with their foot on the brake blinding the person behind! That is one of my biggest bugbears on the roads! Well done for not being that person!

Reactions: Alcpone80
P.s I’m glad you are not one of these idiots that sit in a queue or at traffic lights with their foot on the brake blinding the person behind! That is one of my biggest bugbears on the roads! Well done for not being that person!

Indeed! If I get one of those in front (which is all the time) at night I'll very visibly put my hand over my eyes, palm out, so that in the unlikely event they actually use their mirror they'll see me sitting like that!

Indeed! If I get one of those in front (which is all the time) at night I'll very visibly put my hand over my eyes, palm out, so that in the unlikely event they actually use their mirror they'll see me sitting like that!

I just switch on the full beam, was really effective with 2 spotlights and an LED light bar on the front of my ST! hahaha!

Late to the party, but I've also noticed this! I had a look in the manual and it has a few criteria where they'd switch off but it doesn't mention anything about the handbrake!

Reactions: speedking
manual said:
The low beam light distribution is asymmetric. If you go abroad to a country with opposite traffic direction, this asymmetric part will dazzle oncoming car driver. To prevent dazzle, ECE regulation demand several technical solutions (ex. automatic change system, adhesive sheet, down aiming). These headlamps are designed not to dazzle opposite drivers. So, you need not change your headlamps in a country with opposite traffic direction."

What does that mean? Do the headlamps need attention or not?

The beam pattern diagram clearly shows a kick up that would dazzle oncoming drivers when abroad.

I can't see masking or stick on lenses being effective because there are 2 low beam lamps in each headlamp unit.

How are the headlamps to be adjusted for foreign trips?

Last edited:
These headlamps are designed not to dazzle opposite drivers. So, you need not change your headlamps in a country with opposite traffic direction

No adjustment needed. I believe the headlights are generally low, as couple people complained about it, it is unclear how Hyundai technically solved the issue, but the manual clearly states that the lamps were designed not to dazzle oncoming drivers regardless of traffic direction, in compliance with EU regulations...

Clearly? The first 2 sentences should say "For many other vehicles ..." "However, the i30N headlamps are designed ..."
The beam pattern diagram clearly shows a kick up that would dazzle oncoming drivers. How is this designed out?

Clearly? The first 2 sentences should say "For many other vehicles ..." "However, the i30N headlamps are designed ..."
The beam pattern diagram clearly shows a kick up that would dazzle oncoming drivers. How is this designed out?

Dunno what else to tell you...

In the first sentence it says that yes - the pattern is asymmetric, just as you noticed.

And then it says that the lights are designed in such a way not to dazzle other drivers even if you travel to a country with the proper... urrm ;) different traffic direction - as is required by EU regulations...

As I wrote, I don't know how technically is it designed out, but I suppose perhaps both beams are pointing low enough not to dazzle... El Manuel gives examples
ex. automatic change system,
adhesive sheet, down aiming
does not specify how Hyundai solved it, just says it's solved...

I am only rewriting/rephrasing the manual, if you still feel concerned - there is some regulation possible, described on the page following this information in the manual (in my manual it's 7-58)...

They're not bad, I had my front dipped raised up a bit by the dealer as I find they don't throw very far (if that makes sense!), which helped a bit. They're a nice 'clean' light, not orangey or anything like that. Other lights seem ok to me, but others have changed them to LEDs

Agree with @_Emma, from the factory, the dipped beam is set too low. I raised mine and at low speed the lights are very good. On a par with previous HIDs. But the main beam is then a bit too high, but the reach on main beam is not great at speed. Light bars are a solution, but not a straightforward fit.

Reactions: _Emma
My dipped beams were set correctly and have good reach, in comparison the main beams don't add much range but do light up more of the road and edges. No where near power of some of the HID lights I've seen on other cars but definitely above average