• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Lane Keep Assist Problems / Discussion

Kearney87

Jan 25, 2019
Ireland
Hi lads,
I've been noticing a problem recently with my car. Ive looked online and cant find anything about it. Basically when ive been driving on the motorway with the lane keep assist on for long journeys, id turn it off coming to the off ramp and then when i join onto a smaller road the car decides its going to start drastically trying to steering itself different ways and ive to keep counteracting it to avoid crashing into someone. It settles after a few seconds. Its the 3rd time it's done it to me in the last 2 weeks. Important to note this is happening when the lane keep assist is OFF. Its just strange because the previous times it did it randomly in different circumstances too. Any ideas? Reminds me of my Skyline when the hicas acted up on it!

Reactions: Stash-N

If it looks like this, book in for a check at your dealer. In the video above, there was a problem with some control unit and the steering wheel angle sensor I think.

Give it a try to recalibrate the sensor. This would be a first step.

If it looks like this, book in for a check at your dealer. In the video above, there was a problem with some control unit and the steering wheel angle sensor I think.

Give it a try to recalibrate the sensor. This would be a first step.

Thanks, im going to give them a ring tomorow and ask.

Keep us updated, would be nice to know what the problem was and how it will be solved. So the steering angle sensor is only a tip, would be glad if I'm right, also this would be a 5 minutes work progress to recalibrate this thing.

The same issue with mine since a few days.

I realized it two times , but it was gone after a few seconds.
I think i have to call my dealer for a check date.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on turning off lane assist permanently? I know its always on unless you turn it off each journey but that's such a pain! Is there a fuse or something I could remove? Thanks!

On my car there's a button you can press on the side of the driver door that has the lane assist symbol on it. Per default it's turned off for me.

There should be no fuse, because its software-sided.
asd.jpg
This is the Lane-Assist Button.

On my MY18 model, you can set and unset via push. The setting will be stored, so if you start your car next time, it's either activated or deactivated (depending on your last setting)

OK, as with any Hyundai lane keeping assist (LKA). The camera looks for the line on the road. If you come to a ramp exit or turn off, it will lose the line and attempt to find it. When it does this, it will wander in the lane. Lane keeping assist is simply an assist, not an an autonomous driving override.
To turn off the lane assist permanently, use the menu button on the steering wheel. Navigate to the user menu, driver assist, then LKA, off.

Reactions: I30NFastback2020
Just a quick little rant here: I absolutely hate the fact that the LKAS can (and will) turn off without a warning if it loses the lanes for whatever reason.

I know the fault's partially on me here, but if you want to have a quick look at something, or clean your glasses (<5 secs) while driving on the autobahn - straight road, barely any traffic ~100km/h - and that thing just deactivates itself without a warning... (No worries, nothing happened, though I was a bit stressed/shocked after i corrected back into the lane)

Like c'mon Hyundai you managed to put in a warning if you keep your hands off the steering wheel for too long, how is there no warning if the car turns LKAS off or loses the lane markers.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Just a quick little rant here: I absolutely hate the fact that the LKAS can (and will) turn off without a warning if it loses the lanes for whatever reason.

I know the fault's partially on me here, but if you want to have a quick look at something, or clean your glasses (<5 secs) while driving on the autobahn - straight road, barely any traffic ~100km/h - and that thing just deactivates itself without a warning... (No worries, nothing happened, though I was a bit stressed/shocked after i corrected back into the lane)

Like c'mon Hyundai you managed to put in a warning if you keep your hands off the steering wheel for too long, how is there no warning if the car turns LKAS off or loses the lane markers.
If it’s not working doesn’t it show the lanes as white instead of green on the dash? I guess the argument for no alert will be that you should be totally in control of the vehicle, so if it turns off it shouldn’t cause any problems.

No, the thing is the system works flawlessly and displays the green lines and without a reason it goes back to gray lines.
That’s just where it can’t detect the lanes? Does it not pick the lanes back up again?

It does pick the lanes back up again, but if the system loses track and disengages it should sound a warning.

Like I drive with the system enabled for a bit and everything works on a straight stretch of road. Then it loses track of something and disables (kinda like when you change lanes, before it reengages) but without giving you a proper warning.

Yes, it goes from green to grey/white but there should be something to alert the driver of the fact that the system has disabled itself for whatever reason.