• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Konig Hypergrams

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
Just wanted to share my summer wheels setup that I’ll be running hopefully in the near future and get some input on tire widths and brands etc. After many hours of searching and comparing I think I’ve got my heart set on a set of the Konig Hypergrams. Due to the fact they look great imo are flow formed so they’re stronger than normal cast wheels and are extremely light (17.7lbs a piece according the the website) And most important affordable ! I'm thinking of running a 18x8.5 et45 with possibly a 245/40/18 or 235 width tire. And one of the only things holding me back is I can’t decide on size and a tire.. I want something that’s gonna have good Treadwear, great grip and ride pretty decent. I’ve ran extreme contact DWS06 in the past with pretty decent results. But they’re a little on the pricey side. Which I don’t mind spending a lil extra for a good set but what’re your guys input ? Also going to post a rough photoshop I did of the wheel on the VN and some other related pics.

Attachments

Reactions: 1FastStagea

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
18x9 +40-45 with a 255/35 tire all around. Hankook RS4 is a great all-round high performance summer tire that should last a couple seasons and perform very well on and off track.

Nankang NS2R is another good (and cost effective) choice depending on pricing where you live. Here they're dirt cheap for either the 120 or 180 treadwear variant.

PS4S Michelins are another good choice if you want something that has decent performance but ladts a bit longer.

If you want a more serious track tire on a budget look into the Nankang AR-1, again depending on pricing where you live but here they're also dirt cheap.

For a bit less performance than the michelins you could also look at the firestone firehawk indy 500s. They're super cheap and last a long time but don't perform quite as well as any of the others I've listed.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
18x9 +40-45 with a 255/35 tire all around. Hankook RS4 is a great all-round high performance summer tire that should last a couple seasons and perform very well on and off track.

Nankang NS2R is another good (and cost effective) choice depending on pricing where you live. Here they're dirt cheap for either the 120 or 180 treadwear variant.

PS4S Michelins are another good choice if you want something that has decent performance but ladts a bit longer.

If you want a more serious track tire on a budget look into the Nankang AR-1, again depending on pricing where you live but here they're also dirt cheap.

For a bit less performance than the michelins you could also look at the firestone firehawk indy 500s. They're super cheap and last a long time but don't perform quite as well as any of the others I've listed.
Thanks for the input however they don’t offer the rims in that size. The next step up would be 18x9.5 with a maximum of 35 offset. Would that fit without too much modification ? I plan on doing lowering springs when they become available. Or should I just stick with the 8.5 ?

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the input however they don’t offer the rims in that size. The next step up would be 18x9.5 with a maximum of 35 offset. Would that fit without too much modification ? I plan on doing lowering springs when they become available. Or should I just stick with the 8.5 ?
Ahh, well if you're dead set on those wheels then I would stick with the 8.5s and a 245 unless you feel like doing exactly what I'm doing with mine and run 265s :p

On the bright side, 265s are significantly cheaper than 255s for some reason, and realistically all you really need to fit them is some lowering springs, front camber bolts and maaaaaybe a fender roller to roll the lips flat all around. The 8.5s will be a lot less work, but I would suggest going for a lower offset as 8.5 +45 will be quite sunken still. I'd suggest a 30-35 offset if it's available.

Reactions: Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

LSurge

Aug 7, 2018
California
That’s the same setup I am planning on using. I’m just worried 8.5 won’t fit and I don’t want to roll/pull my fenders.

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
Are you seriously worried that a wheel that's only half an inch wider than stock is going to have fitment issues? You must be new to the aftermarket wheel world...

With stock alignment and not modifying the fenders at all you can easily shove 8.5 +45 under the wheel wells with a 245 tire. I'd be willing to put money on it.

Last edited:

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
I am new to all this,

So don’t worry about it is what your saying.
Correct! In fact if you ever do a performance/race-oriented alignment you'll probably wanna go with wider wheels/lower offset because they'll be sunken like crazy with any more camber than OEM.

Reactions: LSurge

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
Ahh, well if you're dead set on those wheels then I would stick with the 8.5s and a 245 unless you feel like doing exactly what I'm doing with mine and run 265s :p

On the bright side, 265s are significantly cheaper than 255s for some reason, and realistically all you really need to fit them is some lowering springs, front camber bolts and maaaaaybe a fender roller to roll the lips flat all around. The 8.5s will be a lot less work, but I would suggest going for a lower offset as 8.5 +45 will be quite sunken still. I'd suggest a 30-35 offset if it's available.
They do offer a 35 offset option. Which is heavier for some reason that I don’t quite undertsand ? But My main concern was it wouldn’t clear if I ran a wider tire down the road at that offset. But you seem to be very knowledgeable on this topic. And I’m not looking to get that aggressive just yet lol. But Now I need to decide on either running a 245/35 or 40 tire.. and brand lol thanks for the help though

Reactions: 1FastStagea

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
They do offer a 35 offset option. Which is heavier for some reason that I don’t quite undertsand ? But My main concern was it wouldn’t clear if I ran a wider tire down the road at that offset. But you seem to be very knowledgeable on this topic. And I’m not looking to get that aggressive just yet lol. But Now I need to decide on either running a 245/35 or 40 tire.. and brand lol thanks for the help though
Scroll to the bottom of this page for the details (and play around with it if you fancy). 35 profile will be 1.4% smaller, 40 profile will be 2.5% larger.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-18X8.5ET45&fcl=35mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
Scroll to the bottom of this page for the details (and play around with it if you fancy). 35 profile will be 1.4% smaller, 40 profile will be 2.5% larger.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-18X8.5ET45&fcl=35mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm
You posted that link in one of the other threads and I was using it before. I don’t think 2.5% larger will cause too many issues and it seems like it’ll only throw the speedo off 1mph if that. And I like the idea of having a lil more meat between my new wheels and these craters in my area. But I also like the looks of a smaller tire and the slightly better turn in response o_O

LSurge

Aug 7, 2018
California
I read somewhere on another thread that you should try to keep the scrub radius as close to OEM as possible, using the 245/40 tires, the calculator said it would add about 9mm of positive scrub radius. Is this amount negligible or would I need to add more camber to offset it?

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
I read somewhere on another thread that you should try to keep the scrub radius as close to OEM as possible, using the 245/40 tires, the calculator said it would add about 9mm of positive scrub radius. Is this amount negligible or would I need to add more camber to offset it?
People worry about scrub radius too much. Don't :). My Stagea's scrub radius is off by probably 20mm and it handles just fine. Better than fine if you ask me since it keeps up with turbo MX5's on the circuit at 3900lbs :D

Regarding adding camber, I think everyone should do it regardless (unless you're setting your car up for drag racing). It helps cars with our suspension types immensely.

Last edited:

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
https://www.racingaspirations.com/scrub-radius/

Good write up on Scrub Radius benefits and cons. And as mentioned above don’t worry too much about it. Hyundai bragged about having a zero scrub but it’s not going to hurt the car by switching it up a bit

motogp34

Mar 31, 2019
Canada
Going from the stock 19`s to a 18 a big deal ? Their is no difference in foot print between a 18-19 ??
Just because cheaper tire replacement and more options on rim & tires...

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
I would actually suggest going down to 18s, 19s ride way too rough since they have very little sidewall compared to the 18s. Not to mention the weight difference, ease of finding tires and price benefits.

Reactions: motogp34

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
If you're planning to go 9.5 +45 you'll need to add camber front and rear to properly fit the wheels/tires. It's doable, but will need some work. I'm going to be running even more aggressive wheels but I'll be running close to 3 degrees of camber in the front and 2.5ish in the rear. You'll likely also need to roll the lips on your front fenders flat (the rears are already flat, thanks Hyundai).

For tires the Indy 500s are pretty good for dual duty but if you want something with a bit better performance at the cost of longevity and price have a look at the Hankook RS-4s and the Nankang NS-2R.

motogp34

Mar 31, 2019
Canada
If you're planning to go 9.5 +45 you'll need to add camber front and rear to properly fit the wheels/tires. It's doable, but will need some work. I'm going to be running even more aggressive wheels but I'll be running close to 3 degrees of camber in the front and 2.5ish in the rear. You'll likely also need to roll the lips on your front fenders flat (the rears are already flat, thanks Hyundai).

For tires the Indy 500s are pretty good for dual duty but if you want something with a bit better performance at the cost of longevity and price have a look at the Hankook RS-4s and the Nankang NS-2R.
Is the proper off set +45 and will that mean that it will sit at the finders ?

These are the rim sizes ??
18x8 / 5x114.3
18x8.5 / 5x114.3

1FastStagea

Dec 9, 2018
Canada
Is the proper off set +45 and will that mean that it will sit at the finders ?

These are the rim sizes ??
18x8 / 5x114.3
18x8.5 / 5x114.3
"Proper offset" is relative to the width of the wheel. If you want something that will fit under the fenders with no additional modifications/work, you'll want to stick within 10 offset of stock (+45 for an 8", +50 for 8.5" and +55 for a 9").

If you plan to add negative camber which I would highly suggest doing regardless for improved handling, you can run a more aggressive, lower offset wheel.

Reactions: Genis fabregat