• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N Judder

Hi bit of a strange one this
When pulling away (not every time) I get a slight (slip judder knock) not sure how to describe it.Once the car is moving you don’t get it ,the car as done 1400 miles and drives perfect.
It feels like there is slight play in something and when the play tightens up it shoots you forward
Hope that makes sense and one else experienced this .

loafer-N77

What driving mode you in?
Mine does it sometimes in N mode, I just blame myself for poor clutch control and move on :D
It does seem to be a lumpy/jumpy car at times.....done 8500miles and I don't think its a major issue. I've had other cars the same, I think its just the way the throttle is mapped.

I've fitted a pedal box which smoothed out the throttle considerably.

Manted

Mine never liked N mode when cold it would hesitate and judder and was very lumpy.Once warm it would be smooth as silk,hated that Kangaroo feeling.

Crocoman

I concur. This car is a bit jittery when cold. You need to release the clutch gradually at low speeds or else it jerks a bit. My car has always been like that.

Normal mode BUT it’s always when cold and like you 4t it was my driving style.So it maybe just the car when cold ,going for first service at the end of month will mention it and report back

R Veloster N

Considering the first thing I do is hit the N-Mode button. I don't warm up in any other mode generally, so it's a little jerky when cold. I imagine if I chose normal, I wouldn't notice it. I'll give it a try and see.

iiNNEX

Considering the first thing I do is hit the N-Mode button. I don't warm up in any other mode generally, so it's a little jerky when cold. I imagine if I chose normal, I wouldn't notice it. I'll give it a try and see.
I can report the same here. Pretty normal imo.

GazmaN

Mine warms up quick here in the tropics but is still a pig to drive for the first minute or so and always has been. Always in normal until up to temp. First thing I do after starting is hit rev match button (so much so it is now pure muscle memory, doesn't even register I have done it) - I've found that helps make it all a bit smoother for the first minute or two as well.

Any longevity implications in warming up in N mode vs normal? I always go into N custom with the engine in Sport+ right away. Haven't thought too much about whether or not it's ok for the car, or if normal mode is better. I noticed that obviously in normal mode the engine relies on the turbo more vs sport+ engine mode uses all the engine then gives it boost. I figure as long as I'm putting around until it's warm it would be a pretty negligible difference over the life of the car. What do you guys think?

Any longevity implications in warming up in N mode vs normal? I always go into N custom with the engine in Sport+ right away. Haven't thought too much about whether or not it's ok for the car, or if normal mode is better. I noticed that obviously in normal mode the engine relies on the turbo more vs sport+ engine mode uses all the engine then gives it boost. I figure as long as I'm putting around until it's warm it would be a pretty negligible difference over the life of the car. What do you guys think?
It's a valid question. I always use Custom straight off the bat and i have engine, rev match and exhaust all in sport+ tho. I think as long as you baby the throttle nothing can go wrong. Well not baby but just be gentle untill it gets to atleast around 70°C. That's the rule i go by. 0W-30 Oils are already very good at low temps so at around that temp nothing can go wrong. If you go by the orange indicators on the rev gauge then you could full throttle it even sooner. It doesnt overboost untill it has certain engine temp either way. Around 90°C it allows overboost i think, so it's keeping the engine in check at all times i suppose.

It's a valid question. I always use Custom straight off the bat and i have engine, rev match and exhaust all in sport+ tho. I think as long as you baby the throttle nothing can go wrong. Well not baby but just be gentle untill it gets to atleast around 70°C. That's the rule i go by. 0W-30 Oils are already very good at low temps so at around that temp nothing can go wrong. If you go by the orange indicators on the rev gauge then you could full throttle it even sooner. It doesnt overboost untill it has certain engine temp either way. Around 90°C it allows overboost i think, so it's keeping the engine in check at all times i suppose.
Sometimes I forget how far engine management has come!

R Veloster N

I can vivid remember when there wasn't such a thing. Engine management was a screwdriver and your foot. Neither were there any computers and only 3 TV channels! Non-electric calculators & cash registers with 12 cents per gallon & real high test fuel.:eek:

You young whipper snapper!! I ain't no spring chicken but I can still crow, like a rooster.:p

Last edited:
Hi bit of a strange one this
When pulling away (not every time) I get a slight (slip judder knock) not sure how to describe it.Once the car is moving you don’t get it ,the car as done 1400 miles and drives perfect.
It feels like there is slight play in something and when the play tightens up it shoots you forward
Hope that makes sense and one else experienced this .
Does this happen when turning on full lock leaving a driveway or similar? It might be the LSD when the oil is cold causing a bit of drag on the inside wheel.
My Megane RS 265 cup used to do this and you could hear the diff making clunking and grumbling noises when cold, once warmed up it was fine. It happened on my 308 GTi 270 also LSD equipped but it wasn't as noticable on the Pug as the torsen diff seemed to have less locking effect than the Megane.
The Nissan GTR is famous for clunking LSD's from cold and general drivetrain noise until its warmed up all the oils.