• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning JB4 Installation

The Veloster N uses a electronic wastegate with no solenoid, so I am not sure what solenoid you replaced.
The VN has an Electrically Operated Wast Gate Actuator and an Internal wastegate. raydogg123189 also owns an 1.6T Elantra N-Line Gamma. So, there a bit of a difference in the control and wastegate operation. Please, take the time to read his entire commentary. It will help you better determination, as to what he's referring too specifically. :)

@Mikemr305 & @Rem234; I don't see a problem here either way. He sports a JB4 and his comments are responsive to the JB4, as per his last post.
After a few test runs I hit 28psi so I threw jb4 overboost protection back on and itl hit roughly 24 on a hard pull now.
:) Appreciate the comments @raydogg123189 and information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikemr305
Do i just the put the wire harness ( the long wire) to the red part and that it? Cause i dont think i properly did that and now i have a check engine light and the code is 0030

I think they expect you to solder the wire to the metal part and then plug it in?
I just folded the wire contacts over the metal part and sandwiched it when i plugged it in. I have no idea if its working or not either

I think they expect you to solder the wire to the metal part and then plug it in?
I just folded the wire contacts over the metal part and sandwiched it when i plugged it in. I have no idea if its working or not either
Cause I just installed my jb4 and im getting a check engine light and the code was 0030, ive upgraded my spark plugs but I'm thinking i might of not installed it correctly and it might be the o2 sensor i bought. cause i just slid the black wire into the red part of the sensor

Try unplugging the adaptor and plugging in the original o2 sensor connection and clear the code
Screenshot_20200629-204229_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

the fuel wire shouldn't give you a code, i think the connector itself might be the problem

hey guys my gt nline is pulling like a freight train after i did some minor mods
i have the jb4 on map 2 on 91 and 4 on 93

i upgraded the bcs (wastegate solenoid), kit included upgraded hose size and turbo inlet connector, i didn't install the inlet though because i was kinda lazy that day lol

upgraded the bov solenoid to a mac
upgraded the tubing for the mac to 5/32 and replaced the clamps with appropriate spring clamps

further modified my k&n cai kit, it now has the oem resonator, and i heat wrapped the pipe with fiberglass heat wrap that's normally used on exhaust and then wrapped it with reflective insulation tape (this reduced the iat by 20-30 degrees) it maxes at 116f now

i upgraded to hks m45xl spark plugs when i did the jb4 install

and i have the fuel wire hooked up (i bought their adapter for quick removal, and soldered the fuel wire to that instead of the positap method)

i'm getting between 16 and 26psi and that's the max i have the jb4 set for
i have 1st gear under-boosted by 5psi, 2nd 3psi and 3rd by 1psi

my next mods will be a cat back and the downpipe with high flow cat and then intercooler cold pipe with bov upgrade

hey guys
I got my afe takada axle back exaust (with muffler) installed at an exhaust shop 2 weeks ago. i mentioned the muffler because afe makes it with and without.
I also installed my gfb hybrid bov this week. I wanted to get 1 that was adjustable but btr only had the fixed 50/50 1 in stock.

so far I'm happy with the results. I've been running jb4 on map 2 and the car feels so much livelier with this 2 new mods\

the last and final mod on my checklist will be done on my next trip home to Florida in the spring because my favorite dealer is down there(they don't care about any mods, as long as it is not an internal engine mod)

the last mod will be the downpipe with high flow cat

Last edited:
have you guys, that have done bovs on your own car.. noticed your turbo spool faster than with the stock recirc valve?
i mean even you guys with the vn lol.. just looking for some feedback because i feel like my nline is spooling faster now

Super dumb question. for the MAP and TMAP sensors does it matter which plug you plug into each one? for example one plug has brown wires and the other has multi colors. There is a video on YouTube in which the plugs are opposite to yours in the pictures. also my JB4 did not come with a Fuel adapter so do i NEED that or can i run the MAP and TMAP alone? sorry if these are basic questions im new to tuning and don't wanna blow my engine up or fry the the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Super dumb question. for the MAP and TMAP sensors does it matter which plug you plug into each one? for example one plug has brown wires and the other has multi colors. There is a video on YouTube in which the plugs are opposite to yours in the pictures. also my JB4 did not come with a Fuel adapter so do i NEED that or can i run the MAP and TMAP alone? sorry if these are basic questions im new to tuning and don't wanna blow my engine up or fry the the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rainbow wires go on the charge pipe and brown wires on the manifold. That's what Burger said to do. I'm not sure if it makes a difference I've never had them any other way.

No you do not need the fuel wire. It'll work fine without it but you won't be able to adjust AFR which isn't totally necessary and from my experience insanely inconsistent anyway.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Rainbow wires go on the charge pipe and brown wires on the manifold. That's what Burger said to do. I'm not sure if it makes a difference I've never had them any other way.

Thank you for the info that clears it up for me. appreciate the help!

As someone who made the mistake of following one of the youtube videos and installed the connectors backwards at first, it's not good... It had much more turbo spool noise than it should have and it ran lean at WOT. I noticed something was off and fixed it same day, barely drove it like that.

hey guys my gt nline is pulling like a freight train after i did some minor mods
i have the jb4 on map 2 on 91 and 4 on 93

i upgraded the bcs (wastegate solenoid), kit included upgraded hose size and turbo inlet connector, i didn't install the inlet though because i was kinda lazy that day lol

upgraded the bov solenoid to a mac
upgraded the tubing for the mac to 5/32 and replaced the clamps with appropriate spring clamps

further modified my k&n cai kit, it now has the oem resonator, and i heat wrapped the pipe with fiberglass heat wrap that's normally used on exhaust and then wrapped it with reflective insulation tape (this reduced the iat by 20-30 degrees) it maxes at 116f now

i upgraded to hks m45xl spark plugs when i did the jb4 install

and i have the fuel wire hooked up (i bought their adapter for quick removal, and soldered the fuel wire to that instead of the positap method)

i'm getting between 16 and 26psi and that's the max i have the jb4 set for
i have 1st gear under-boosted by 5psi, 2nd 3psi and 3rd by 1psi

my next mods will be a cat back and the downpipe with high flow cat and then intercooler cold pipe with bov upgrade
Freight train as in good or slow lol sorry...

Ok so here I am installing the Jb4 when I ran into a confusing matter. The website contradicts itself 3 times on which wire you Posi tap into when using the PNP Fuel Wire Adapter... Red or Black? First on the description page of the fuel adapter it states to tap into Black #2. Ok no problem, but then right underneath that it says "plug into Red". Followed by the JB4 install video (Synergy Media's) on BurgerTunings Hyundai\jb4 page itself showing to tap into the single Red wire?

Hmmm ok so which one is it? Red or Black? I'm sorry but it's times like this where I go flipping nuts, I don't understand how hard this can be. Literally 3 different times jumping back And forth between red or black, it's aggravating to say the least. Doesn't this adapter allow for fuel control? Those who used these adapters wouldnt even know if it is hooked up correctly unless you tried adjusting fuel.

Which is what I told burgertunings chat who proceeded to tell me "we haven't had any complaints" with the adapters yet. I tried explaining how there wouldn't be any complaints bc most aren't using this fuel adjustment option to begin with. So until they actually have tried fuel adjustments they won't know if they hooked into the correct wire anyway(red or black). I was told to email them bc it was sales in the chat and not tech support. I'm sorry but I just am so aggravated on how easy this could be avoided with 1 simple direction. Not 3 different instances on the site where it changes from red to black.

And if it is indeed Black #2 that should be tapped into, well then the installation video needs to be taken down bc it shows to tap into the Red wire. Bottom line I'm sitting in my garage raging over how ridiculous this is and now have to wait to see what is the correct way.

Hopefully someone can confirm what's the correct way. Someone who knows this for a fact.Screenshot_20201105-182130_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so here I am installing the Jb4 when I ran into a confusing matter. The website contradicts itself 3 times on which wire you Posi tap into when using the PNP Fuel Wire Adapter... Red or Black? First on the description page of the fuel adapter it states to tap into Black #2. Ok no problem, but then right underneath that it says "plug into Red". Followed by the JB4 install video (Synergy Media's) on BurgerTunings Hyundai\jb4 page itself showing to tap into the single Red wire?

Hmmm ok so which one is it? Red or Black? I'm sorry but it's times like this where I go flipping nuts, I don't understand how hard this can be. Literally 3 different times jumping back And forth between red or black, it's aggravating to say the least. Doesn't this adapter allow for fuel control? Those who used these adapters wouldnt even know if it is hooked up correctly unless you tried adjusting fuel.

Which is what I told burgertunings chat who proceeded to tell me "we haven't had any complaints" with the adapters yet. I tried explaining how there wouldn't be any complaints bc most aren't using this fuel adjustment option to begin with. So until they actually have tried fuel adjustments they won't know if they hooked into the correct wire anyway(red or black). I was told to email them bc it was sales in the chat and not tech support. I'm sorry but I just am so aggravated on how easy this could be avoided with 1 simple direction. Not 3 different instances on the site where it changes from red to black.

And if it is indeed Black #2 that should be tapped into, well then the installation video needs to be taken down bc it shows to tap into the Red wire. Bottom line I'm sitting in my garage raging over how ridiculous this is and now have to wait to see what is the correct way.

Hopefully someone can confirm what's the correct way. Someone who knows this for a fact.View attachment 15536
Check out post #1 in this thread that I've moved you to and then read on a bit. If that is not enough for you I'd say help will soon be on the way 🙂.