• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning JB4 and Non-PP Veloster N

I just downloaded V15 and data logged it myself.. I'm not seeing increased boost spikes, but after datalogging I did observe that I am seeing higher peak boost by .5 to 1 lbs.. It seems that ECU_PSI is reported higher.. Don't know if that's due to weather changes since I last datalogged (it's about 20degF warmer now) or reporting differences in this version. I left it peaking near 22psi on boost and not seeing any timing pull in 20-85 mph runs in 90degF weather.

I was seeing something similar, and thought it might be some firmware tweaks coupled with warmer weather. I can say that FW 15 works well - I ran it for a good bit!

I just updated to FW 17 yesterday which appears to run the same, but now the map switching works via the windshield wiper stalk (intermittent speed selector is used when wipers aren't activated). On FW 15 it would work, but there was not an option to disable map switching while the wipers were activated at intermittent speeds; so that was a clear no go until FW 17.

Weather is supposed to be nice this week so I'll have to do some more data logging and report back; I'll try the most recent map 6 I saved of yours and report back.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
I just downloaded V15 and data logged it myself.. I'm not seeing increased boost spikes, but after datalogging I did observe that I am seeing higher peak boost by .5 to 1 lbs.. It seems that ECU_PSI is reported higher.. Don't know if that's due to weather changes since I last datalogged (it's about 20degF warmer now) or reporting differences in this version. I left it peaking near 22psi on boost and not seeing any timing pull in 20-85 mph runs in 90degF weather.

Just tried the v17 beta.. Now boost reads lower given same ambient weather I've been logging on v15... Boost peaks are under 20 lbs now, which is more like the sort of numbers I used to see on v11 before documented "corrections" were added to boost numbers in v13.... Odd.. No idea why Burger keeps playing with the reporting on ecu_psi numbers like they do..

To much boost is not good for the stock pistons, rods or crank. You really don't need to be pushing 22 lbs boost with this engine or turbo. It does no good to push it any higher and will only shorten the life of the turbo.

Getting A/F ratios and trims correct is more valuable and will produce more consistent and usable hp.:)

To much boost is not good for the stock pistons, rods or crank. You really don't need to be pushing 22 lbs boost with this engine or turbo. It does no good to push it any higher and will only shorten the life of the turbo.

Getting A/F ratios and trims correct is more valuable and will produce more consistent and usable hp.:)

AF/Trims, are key as well as timing advance/knock/IATs. Boost is just a number.. How the JB4 calculates it seems to change from version to version.. I was pointing out that the same map6 targets have resulted in different "total" boost in each version of software.

For instance, using the same targets in map6 (for instance 7.5 PSI at 5500) on a base have resulted in the reported boost values in each version.

V11 - 20 PSI
V13 - 21 PSI
V15 - 22 PSI
V17 - 20 PSI

No change in map6 tune, but very different reporting of total boost. What i see fluctuating is ECU_PSI which is JB4's interpretation of what the ECU is calculating for boost. (ECU_PSI + TARGET = BOOST)..

Last edited:
I would just like the most updated map I ran the map6 given and I don’t know if the app updated but it didn’t feel as fast as map2 and wasn’t getting as high boost pressures
Map6 is custom that would net the most performance. Did you have someone make you one. It not I would recommend map3.

Map6 is custom that would net the most performance. Did you have someone make you one. It not I would recommend map3.
No I tried to use the one in this thread but it wasn’t good in my opinion. I think I will send up my logs with my mods and have them make a custom map6 for me

No I tried to use the one in this thread but it wasn’t good in my opinion. I think I will send up my logs with my mods and have them make a custom map6 for me
I made a map6 for myself and it's running better than map3 plus I have a map for 100 octane

I would just like the most updated map I ran the map6 given and I don’t know if the app updated but it didn’t feel as fast as map2 and wasn’t getting as high boost pressures

Do you have a base (non-performance pack) Veloster N running 93 octane fuel? If not, I would not use the map6 tune in this thread. Also every car is going to be different, especially if mods are added. Even things like time of year, climate, altitude, and fuel quality will affect what is optimal for your car.

Butt feel doesn't really tell you a whole lot... At minimum, you need to be logging and looking at the raw logs to observe intake air temps, timing advance, boost pressures, air/fuel ratio, fuel trims, and the like to make sure the changes you make optimal. Timed runs and track time will tell you what's actually faster.

Last edited: