• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Is anyone running the dose plate? If so I have a lot of questions !

There will be a small performance boost, with either cold air or short ram intake. You’ll find plenty of intake and venting with either.

You’re welcome.👍🇺🇸

Yes, however I can’t tell to what extent or if it will fulfill your personal expectations.

No, it’s always best to ask questions. The only stupid question, is the one not asked. You’re welcome!👍🇺🇸

Reactions: JamestheRock
Hey All,

Been reading through this chat and see it was getting a bit interesting. let me lend my opinion from an Australian Tuner/ Mechanic POV. Now while turbo flutter/ Compressor surge as it's correct name has been around for a while, it's always been a huge thing in Australia, well at least in the Sydney car scene for that matter. Making your car 'Dose' with that all famous zu tu tu tu is almost as Sydney as the Harbour Bridge itself. Typically the Holden VL Turbo is an absolute Dose Vader with that RB30 and is sacrilegious to run a BOV on one.

Now with regards to this thread and Damage to your turbo there is an interesting link I do suggest reading for any members that aren't to accustom to turbos and it will explain the Dose and weather it will cause damage or not to your turbo.

Now: My opinion and purely my opinion, (I don't want someone carrying on with this and that because of what I've said, I'm purely trying to offer some vision to the questions raised from the thread).

I have seen Big power cars here in AUS, running Min 50PSI with no BOV insight and boy does it flutter, in AUS we have spoken about this phenomenon for decades weather it's bad for the turbo or not, Guys the likes of Mighty Car Mods and Brett from GFB have spoken about it and it's been the topic of conversation at least once a week in Performance workshops in Sydney for decades.

Is it bad for the turbo now? Now my thoughts on this is that I would run a BOV for certain if I had anything over running 30PSI. because well I don't like spending 30k plus on a build for it to risk anything breaking. in the case of the I30n I believe it runs 20PSI from factory in a modern turbo with Ball bearings. so would I dose the I30N? maybe. would I be worried about the turbo blowing up? Probably not, you may potentially get a bit of a power glitch or a 'cough' at gear changes who knows. personally I'm running a Turbosmart Kompact on my nugget and loving it.

I've got plenty of mates running cars with 20-30PSI on E85 and they are all Dose machines with these builds being completed and have been running fine for years.

Ultimately the Choice is on you, but i think that it is a bit of an ole wives tale. in the grand scheme of things 20PSI is pretty standard boost pressure in a lot of 'performance' cars being built today and really a negligible amount. Does it cause premature wear on the turbo? yeah for sure I can be certain how much though probably a miniscule amount.

Anyways i'm going on and on. I really hope this helps provide some clarity from the chap that asked the question. I remember I asked a question on this forum and got blasted because apparently the question was asked already. even though i couldn't find the exact question I asked just a lot of back and forth, but hey worked out in the end. bought the Gladen sound system from Germany installed it and loving it.

Anyways Bonics Out.... Peace 🇦🇺

Reactions: JoeKnight
Hey All,

Been reading through this chat and see it was getting a bit interesting. let me lend my opinion from an Australian Tuner/ Mechanic POV. Now while turbo flutter/ Compressor surge as it's correct name has been around for a while, it's always been a huge thing in Australia, well at least in the Sydney car scene for that matter. Making your car 'Dose' with that all famous zu tu tu tu is almost as Sydney as the Harbour Bridge itself. Typically the Holden VL Turbo is an absolute Dose Vader with that RB30 and is sacrilegious to run a BOV on one.

Now with regards to this thread and Damage to your turbo there is an interesting link I do suggest reading for any members that aren't to accustom to turbos and it will explain the Dose and weather it will cause damage or not to your turbo.

Now: My opinion and purely my opinion, (I don't want someone carrying on with this and that because of what I've said, I'm purely trying to offer some vision to the questions raised from the thread).

I have seen Big power cars here in AUS, running Min 50PSI with no BOV insight and boy does it flutter, in AUS we have spoken about this phenomenon for decades weather it's bad for the turbo or not, Guys the likes of Mighty Car Mods and Brett from GFB have spoken about it and it's been the topic of conversation at least once a week in Performance workshops in Sydney for decades.

Is it bad for the turbo now? Now my thoughts on this is that I would run a BOV for certain if I had anything over running 30PSI. because well I don't like spending 30k plus on a build for it to risk anything breaking. in the case of the I30n I believe it runs 20PSI from factory in a modern turbo with Ball bearings. so would I dose the I30N? maybe. would I be worried about the turbo blowing up? Probably not, you may potentially get a bit of a power glitch or a 'cough' at gear changes who knows. personally I'm running a Turbosmart Kompact on my nugget and loving it.

I've got plenty of mates running cars with 20-30PSI on E85 and they are all Dose machines with these builds being completed and have been running fine for years.

Ultimately the Choice is on you, but i think that it is a bit of an ole wives tale. in the grand scheme of things 20PSI is pretty standard boost pressure in a lot of 'performance' cars being built today and really a negligible amount. Does it cause premature wear on the turbo? yeah for sure I can be certain how much though probably a miniscule amount.

Anyways i'm going on and on. I really hope this helps provide some clarity from the chap that asked the question. I remember I asked a question on this forum and got blasted because apparently the question was asked already. even though i couldn't find the exact question I asked just a lot of back and forth, but hey worked out in the end. bought the Gladen sound system from Germany installed it and loving it.

Anyways Bonics Out.... Peace 🇦🇺
What I'm looking for is that ol'd 90's twin turbo flutter. I'm in Aus so hit me up

Reactions: bonics96

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-turbo-flutter

There's plenty more information regarding damage to turbochargers from uncontroleed compressor surge available at your finger tips. Best read up and understand what it will cause and it’s common effects on longevity and performance. All for a little noise!?👍🇺🇸

Last edited:
Reactions: JamestheRock