• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Intro to my Performance Blue Veloster N PP

Hey guys. Here is my new toy!

First, the purchase story. I had been talking to a few dealers in Arkansas of which a few said they had a car on the way. I was close to putting a deposit down on one that was going to be a few hours away but they wanted to mark it up around 2k and tried to justify it with bogus dealer add-ons which turned me off of that deal. A few days of searching later, one popped up at Shawnee Mission Hyundai about 20 miles south of Kansas City. I called and it had just come off the truck. We agreed on $31,000 + $500 doc fees - $500 cash back from All State. I took a one-way flight the next day, signed the papers, ate some BBQ, and drove the car 6 1/2 hours back home.

I love the car so far! My last car was a 2011 GTI so that's my basis for comparison. I haven't really driven it hard yet so no acceleration or handling comments for now. As a daily driver, it meets all my expectations. The seats are comfy and supportive. No squirming or sore butt the entire drive home. The stereo is good - not quite as good as the Dynaudio system in the GTI, but good. It's my first car with Apple CarPlay which is awesome. All the buttons and controls are intuitive and nice to touch. The steering feels great as does the steering wheel itself. The ride in normal mode is as good as the GTI ever was. The clutch feels way better. Very positive engagement low in the pedal travel. Oh, and rev-matching is a freaking godsend in rush-hour traffic! I never thought about it being useful there but now I never want another manual without it!

Cons: Don't drive an r-spec before an N like I did. The N shifter is not as nice as the B&M unit in the r-spec. The spacing is kinda wide and it's noticeably clunkier than the VW or r-spec. Don't get me wrong. It's not bad. I'm just used to better shifters in Hondas, VW's and Mazdas. The interior could look a little more interesting but I knew that going in. The seatbelt rests on my neck a little and the little arm doesn't stay where you put it. There's no lighting in the footwell although I saw that Hyundai sells a kit for that. You can't put the clock, nav info, or song info in the gauge cluster screen which I could in the GTI. There's no hill-hold assist which is not a big deal, just surprising. All in all, small gripes that in no way spoil the car.

I didn't mention how much I enjoy looking at it. I never really loved the way the GTI looked. I looked at it like a good friend. I look at the Veloster like a new mistress ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LHgU5b3nYSm4Znvu7

simmo777

Hey guys. Here is my new toy!

First, the purchase story. I had been talking to a few dealers in Arkansas of which a few said they had a car on the way. I was close to putting a deposit down on one that was going to be a few hours away but they wanted to mark it up around 2k and tried to justify it with bogus dealer add-ons which turned me off of that deal. A few days of searching later, one popped up at Shawnee Mission Hyundai about 20 miles south of Kansas City. I called and it had just come off the truck. We agreed on $31,000 + $500 doc fees - $500 cash back from All State. I took a one-way flight the next day, signed the papers, ate some BBQ, and drove the car 6 1/2 hours back home.

I love the car so far! My last car was a 2011 GTI so that's my basis for comparison. I haven't really driven it hard yet so no acceleration or handling comments for now. As a daily driver, it meets all my expectations. The seats are comfy and supportive. No squirming or sore butt the entire drive home. The stereo is good - not quite as good as the Dynaudio system in the GTI, but good. It's my first car with Apple CarPlay which is awesome. All the buttons and controls are intuitive and nice to touch. The steering feels great as does the steering wheel itself. The ride in normal mode is as good as the GTI ever was. The clutch feels way better. Very positive engagement low in the pedal travel. Oh, and rev-matching is a freaking godsend in rush-hour traffic! I never thought about it being useful there but now I never want another manual without it!

Cons: Don't drive an r-spec before an N like I did. The N shifter is not as nice as the B&M unit in the r-spec. The spacing is kinda wide and it's noticeably clunkier than the VW or r-spec. Don't get me wrong. It's not bad. I'm just used to better shifters in Hondas, VW's and Mazdas. The interior could look a little more interesting but I knew that going in. The seatbelt rests on my neck a little and the little arm doesn't stay where you put it. There's no lighting in the footwell although I saw that Hyundai sells a kit for that. You can't put the clock, nav info, or song info in the gauge cluster screen which I could in the GTI. There's no hill-hold assist which is not a big deal, just surprising. All in all, small gripes that in no way spoil the car.

I didn't mention how much I enjoy looking at it. I never really loved the way the GTI looked. I looked at it like a good friend. I look at the Veloster like a new mistress ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LHgU5b3nYSm4Znvu7

Thanks for the write up, good to hear an honest comparison. I am sure you are close to finishing that break in period and will report back shortly!

Are you sure it doesn't have hill assist? My base model i30N hill assist but it took a while to get used too (Clutch release before brake - only on inclines)

Last edited:

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

I'll have to check the manual. If it does, it doesn't work like the VW.
It absolutely has hill start assist. And I think you’re right about the shifter it’s not as notchy as the R but it still feels nice. I think the difference is due to some kind of gear counting hoopla. Because of it indicating on the dash what gear you’re in. However I may be wrong. I haven’t seen anyone open up the center console yet

Is the r-spec shifter an improvement over the standard turbo shifter just due to the b&m or are there other differences? I wonder if the rev matching on the N requires some additional parts that clunk it up a bit. Coming from a s2k and rsx i am expecting the shifter to be a little vague but hopefully its not trucklike.

Several N's landed in oklahoma, missouri, arkansas and kansas somewhat recently, a few around me have been blue. But yeah I found better deals trucking them in from as far as 1500 miles from more reasonable dealers.

Glad your happy with your purchase and love the car. She's a beauty!

Last edited:
Is the r-spec shifter an improvement over the standard turbo shifter just due to the b&m or are there other differences? I wonder if the rev matching on the N requires some additional parts that clunk it up a bit. Coming from a s2k and rsx i am expecting the shifter to be a little vague but hopefully its not trucklike.

Several N's landed in oklahoma, missouri, arkansas and kansas somewhat recently, a few around me have been blue. But yeah I found better deals trucking them in from as far as 1500 miles from more reasonable dealers.

I couldn't tell you why it feels different. I'm getting used to it already to where I don't think about it as much. Either it's breaking in or I'm adjusting how I handle it or both. I've notice 2-3 is a lot smoother limp-wristed. There's a very slight pop as it passes neutral in vertical shifts that's absent in others that I've experienced. It's never caused me to miss a shift and maybe it will get smoother over time.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

I

I believe it’s just the B&M shifter that makes the difference. I can’t imagine them switching it over to solid bushing or anything crazy. And it’s not terrible as mentioned it’s just clicky. It’s hard to explain.. but it’s something you get used to I’ve put about 1k miles on mine and it still feels the same. Either way the cars awesome and I can guarantee you’ll love it