• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Intermittent hard starting

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Since I got my N I’ve had this intermittent starting issue. Where I drive the car to work then it’ll sit for 7-10 hours and when I go to leave it’ll crank for about 5-6secs then just barely turn over. One time it Cranked for the allowed amount of time then stopped and cranked again and then it turned over. The car runs beautifully and it’s never missed a beat other than this. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Literally picked mine up yesterday, it did this first time, but possibly due to battery being almost flat from non-use? It's started instantly every other time since. Get someone to check your battery conductance?

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Literally picked mine up yesterday, it did this first time, but possibly due to battery being almost flat from non-use? It's started instantly every other time since. Get someone to check your battery conductance?
I’ll have one of my techs throw the tester on it. Blue link shows the battery at 89% which I know is prob BS anyway but I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing this. I thought it was just a fluke the first time but now that it’s happened half a dozen times I figured I’d post about it.

Bigbruiseral

Very common on i30n lots on here have moan about it as it's so intermittent nothing has ever been done or found via a dealer. Mine will do it maybe once maybe twice a month. My battery has been charged to 100 so it not that, it's just a feature now

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Very common on i30n lots on here have moan about it as it's so intermittent nothing has ever been done or found via a dealer. Mine will do it maybe once maybe twice a month. My battery has been charged to 100 so it not that, it's just a feature now
This puts my mind at ease thank you ! I was concerned that I had some kind of wiring issue that would lead to the car being torn apart and having the engineers here for weeks on end poking and prodding at my baby. I’m still going to do a parasitic draw test when I get the time just for sh*ts and giggles.

Cygnus X-1

Factory electrical system on the VT was inherently weak, but didn’t seem to hear of behavior like this. Wonder if the VN’s e-system is just as weak...

1FastStagea

Mine does this quite a bit as well. I know the i30Ns had the ECM and HPFP recall because of this if I'm not mistaken, in addition to lack of power intermittently. Wonder if they're using the same bad ECMs/HPFPs that the early i30Ns originally came with...

I'd like to think they learned from their mistakes but I know better from experience unfortunately.

1FastStagea

How many times have each of you experienced this and would you say the frequency has increased over time?
It happened literally the first time I ever drove the car after picking it up from the dealer, then intermittently (albeit not frequently, probably once a month) for the next month or two, now just recently it has started doing it a bit more frequently. I'd say it happens to me about once or twice a week on average.

R Veloster N

Not experienced it at all.

I keep the N on a Tecmate, Optimate Monitor O-125, and TecMate, TM-255 OptiMATE 7 Ampmatic, 9-step 12V 10A Battery Saving charger-tester-maintainer. Open the BlueLink App if you have it, and observe the vehicle status. It will show the battery voltage. Don't let it drop below 75%. Especially, if you're not running the car daily.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Not experienced it at all.

I keep the N on a Tecmate, Optimate Monitor O-125, and TecMate, TM-255 OptiMATE 7 Ampmatic, 9-step 12V 10A Battery Saving charger-tester-maintainer. Open the BlueLink App if you have it, and observe the vehicle status. It will show the battery voltage. Don't let it drop below 75%. Especially, if you're not running the car daily.
Blue link shows the battery at 86%. It sits pretty consistently between 85-90% and checked terminals last night getting fuel everything is tight. I plan on having the shop scan the battery just for sh*ts and giggles.

Attachments

1FastStagea

This issue doesn't have anything to do with battery charge level, it's to do with either the ECM or fueling, or both. It's not that the engine has trouble cranking over, its that it's taking too long to crank over and start, as if it's low on/out of gas.

I know it can happen to cars when they sit for a long time and the pressure in the fuel lines bleeds back into the tank, and it takes a little bit to get the pressure back up to the rail and start. This issue doesn't seem to match that description though since it's happened to me within a day or so of me driving my car last.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

This issue doesn't have anything to do with battery charge level, it's to do with either the ECM or fueling, or both. It's not that the engine has trouble cranking over, its that it's taking too long to crank over and start, as if it's low on/out of gas.

I know it can happen to cars when they sit for a long time and the pressure in the fuel lines bleeds back into the tank, and it takes a little bit to get the pressure back up to the rail and start. This issue doesn't seem to match that description though since it's happened to me within a day or so of me driving my car last.
As you mentioned before I believe. It’s possibly a crank position sensor or fueling related. I’m going to try priming my fuel pump prior to starting to see if it makes a difference.

Crocoman

Interesting. My car had a long think about whether to start yesterday......twice. It’s due in on the 16th for the suspension fault, so will ask Hyundai to have a look at it then. The car has been bone stock for the past month or so.