• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Interesting development and explanation for turbo upgrade from Germany

Would a full whiteline suspension upgrade with bushes and 25mm springs deal with it ?
I'm no suspension expert, but I'm sure it would help - still, 400hp in this little FWD will sure as hell test it in the lower gears. The company's little red rocket certainly looks like it has had some serious suspension applied, stance looks great.

I'm no suspension expert, but I'm sure it would help - still, 400hp in this little FWD will sure as hell test it in the lower gears. The company's little red rocket certainly looks like it has had some serious suspension applied, stance looks great.
We have all been throwing numbers around and figures we would like to see .. Call me nieve but 350 - 400hp on this little car with the amount of torque it's punching out is a lot hey ?
Like as far as non built engines that's a whopping amount of power isn't it ?

GazmaN

We have all been throwing numbers around and figures we would like to see .. Call me nieve but 350 - 400hp on this little car with the amount of torque it's punching out is a lot hey ?
Like as far as non built engines that's a whopping amount of power isn't it ?
More than enough for me! I think these guys that are getting around 305 at the wheels with a safe map and minimal mods most likely have the best compromise for a daily driver.

I reckon 320 would be the absolute peak of fun without turning the car into a brute on the street, but there will always people that want more, and power to them (quite literally ;)). It really depends what you personally want from the car and what you want to do with it. Wanna track monster? 400hp, alot of suspension work, plenty of testing and adjustment and some really good tyres will give you one.

More than enough for me! I think these guys that are getting around 305 at the wheels with a safe map and minimal mods most likely have the best compromise for a daily driver.

I reckon 320 would be the absolute peak of fun without turning the car into a brute on the street, but there will always people that want more, and power to them (quite literally ;)). It really depends what you personally want from the car and what you want to do with it. Wanna track monster? 400hp, alot of suspension work, plenty of testing and adjustment and some really good tyres will give you one.
Hahaha I'm one of those guys, I had a 2002 wrx sti lo ed it to bits but never had the opportunity to tune it or anything before it became too much of a liability (200,000kms plus).
I've owned 4wds since then and now finally I have a sports car again and thankfully has a really good platform. I do want to do track days and honestly want to finally have a bit of a weapon track car. If she turns into a pig, surley I could mitigate that in daily driving by putting it into eco mode.
I'm the only driver of it so I'll be the one that has to manage it. Just want to be able to race my mates 2016 BMW M3, Golf R and AMG 45.. Doing so in a hyundai would put the biggest smile on my face.

TarmoT

I have seen video from that car:
German remap.jpg
1-st, 2-nd and even 3-rd gear - problems with traction. Whiteline ARB-s will make it even worse because in real life you dont have mirror-smooth surface on road and if you will make both ARB-s more stiff, your tyres are loosing a contact even on smaller bumps on road. If Whiteline is going to produce whole bushing for our cars, it might change the game littlebit. Good suspenison is a compromise between grip and stiffness.
Wise men told once - power is equal to zero if there is no grip :)

Looking at the wheel/tire setup on that red 400PS i30N, pretty clear it’s getting minimal traction when accelerating in low gears.

As @TarmoT inferred, stiffening the suspension laterally does nothing to reduce wheelspin and is likely a detriment. More tire height would help things at least when launching or accelerating in a straight line.

It all depends on the purpose of the car.

I have seen video from that car:
View attachment 6904
1-st, 2-nd and even 3-rd gear - problems with traction. Whiteline ARB-s will make it even worse because in real life you dont have mirror-smooth surface on road and if you will make both ARB-s more stiff, your tyres are loosing a contact even on smaller bumps on road. If Whiteline is going to produce whole bushing for our cars, it might change the game littlebit. Good suspenison is a compromise between grip and stiffness.
Wise men told once - power is equal to zero if there is no grip :)
Thanks for the feedback Tarmot,
Is that with foot flat to the ground ? (I'm guessing obviously haha) perhaps 18 inch wheels and some dam good tyres will make the difference.

I spoke with the guys from WHITELINE the other day just on ideas for creating more and better products for the I30N (and all hatches like it )

They do bushes for the transmission I believe, but because I'm new to this, What do you mean by whole bushes?

I'll get onto them and see what they can do :)

Looking at the wheel/tire setup on that red 400PS i30N, pretty clear it’s getting minimal traction when accelerating in low gears.

As @TarmoT inferred, stiffening the suspension laterally does nothing to reduce wheelspin and is likely a detriment. More tire height would help things at least when launching or accelerating in a straight line.

It all depends on the purpose of the car.
Sorry Cygnus I missed your comment, in that case would even 17inch lightweight racing wheels combined with a quality semi slick help more than the 18 or 19 inch wheel combo?

17s won’t fit on the PP due to the size of the front brake setup. Already tried with 17” RPF1s, which usually clear BBKs.

18s plus taller profile tires or 17s with a smaller front brake setup if you are building a drag/stoplight variant like I prefer.

Last edited:

TarmoT

Grip level and elastic side walls are major aspects if you are looking a dragracing car on the moment of start:
0a80c5775d95fd598f5f71af3e7cda4c.jpg
Unfortunatelly we can´t use this type of tyres on street, so we should use maximum grip level rubber and make a contact surface as big as possible. Going for wider tyres is one of ways, having a good tyres with bigger side walls is another way.
But improving your tyre grip, does not give you whole potential - you should also pay attention to another things like keeping your tyre surface whole time close to the ground.
Now good suspension comes to the play and good suspension does not mean that it is stone hard to drive. Good suspension is able to react very fast to the changes of road surface and diffrence of grip level. You probably noticed that having Hyundai shocks on Sport+ mode, is not always the best solution for having better acceleration times.
Another advanatge of good suspension is the possibility to adjust balance of car - in a moment when you are accelerating, weight of car moves from front to the rear and it is reducing a grip under front tyres. Good, adjustable suspension allowes you to adjust bump and rebound of shock absorbers, If you are making rear end of car stiffer (adjusting bump level more stiff), the weight of car does not move to the rear end so much anymore. But it also has a disadvantage - if you will make bump level max stiff, you must turn rebound level even more stiff. The rebound stiffness needs to be set at a higher value then the bump setting as the stored energy is being released. If there is not effect damping on the rebound, the wheel will quickly return through the static level and start to bump again, with the bouncing effect unsettling the suspension with little control. So on bumpy road, you will be bouching around like bubble :)
If you have very good suspension, next thing to improve will be a bushing of car. Factory bushing is designed to have as much ride comfort as possible and second priority is the best handling. Factory bushes are soft and there is a lots of "lag" on suspension and drivetrain components before everything reacts to the changes of road conditions. Installing poly bushes, you will reduce that lag.
But still upgrading your bushing, will give you the best results on corners but making bushing stiffer, also improves traction.

Last edited: