• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

I30N vs M140i

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
Hola a todos,

Estoy comparando todos los hothatches del momento para comprarme y hasta ahora el que mas me gana es el I30N (por chasis, sonido y detalles racing que lo hacen único en un mundo de electrodomésticos).

Pero me tope tambien con el M140i, se que es totalmente un planteamiento distinto (RWD, mucha más chicha, aunque más tirando a GT que un set up bruto, y menos sonido de escape).

Una desventaja que le veo al aleman es que no tenga diferencial con tanto cv, en muchas reviews dicen que es demasiado (twichy) impredecible y no te da la confianza por ejemplo de un M2 al tener un set up más bruto y con suspensiones acorde al caballaje.

Por lo tanto creo este post por si alguien habría probado ambos coches y me puediera ayudar.

(Actualemente tengo un Z4 3.0i e85, por lo que si me encanta los RWD, pero buscaba algo más práctico)

Muchas gracias de antemano!

Saludos

😃

Hello everybody,

I am comparing all the hothatches of the moment to purchase and so far the one that I love the most is the I30N (chassis, sound and racing details that make it unique, in a world of new dull cars).

But I also thinking the M140i, I know it is totally a different approach (RWD, much more power, although is more of a GT cruiser car than a B road/rally car set up, and less exhaust sound).

The disadvantage I see in the German car is that it doesn't come with an LSD standard and in many reviews they say it's so twitchy, unpredictable and doesn't give you the confidence, like an M car should.

Therefore I create this post in case someone would have tested both cars and could help me.

(Currently I have a Z4 3.0i e85, I love RWD, but also was looking for something more practical)

Thank's in advance!

Greetings

😃

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

salemetal

Nthusiast
Oct 18, 2019
Bjelovar
C'mon man, no comparison here. 140i has a 3.0l engine and RWD, and is a car with no competition in that class. LSD is something that you can always upgrade to. Exhaust also.
As much as I love I30N, I have to give it to the 140i.
I30 is a bit more practical as it has more room in the back seat.

And of course, you can get crazy power with that 3.0 turbo.

Last edited:

alpiv64

Nthusiast
Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Hola a todos,

Estoy comparando todos los hothatches del momento para comprarme y hasta ahora el que mas me gana es el I30N (por chasis, sonido y detalles racing que lo hacen único en un mundo de electrodomésticos).

Pero me tope tambien con el M140i, se que es totalmente un planteamiento distinto (RWD, mucha más chicha, aunque más tirando a GT que un set up bruto, y menos sonido de escape).

Una desventaja que le veo al aleman es que no tenga diferencial con tanto cv, en muchas reviews dicen que es demasiado (twichy) impredecible y no te da la confianza por ejemplo de un M2 al tener un set up más bruto y con suspensiones acorde al caballaje.

Por lo tanto creo este post por si alguien habría probado ambos coches y me puediera ayudar.

(Actualemente tengo un Z4 3.0i e85, por lo que si me encanta los RWD, pero buscaba algo más práctico)

Muchas gracias de antemano!

Saludos

😃

Hello everybody,

I am comparing all the hothatches of the moment to purchase and so far the one that I love the most is the I30N (chassis, sound and racing details that make it unique, in a world of new dull cars).

But I also thinking the M140i, I know it is totally a different approach (RWD, much more power, although is more of a GT cruiser car than a B road/rally car set up, and less exhaust sound).

The disadvantage I see in the German car is that it doesn't come with an LSD standard and in many reviews they say it's so twitchy, unpredictable and doesn't give you the confidence, like an M car should.

Therefore I create this post in case someone would have tested both cars and could help me.

(Currently I have a Z4 3.0i e85, I love RWD, but also was looking for something more practical)

Thank's in advance!

Greetings

😃
Running costs are a lot cheaper for the i30N , depends how much money you want to spend as well. Buy the i30N no more to spend , buy the BMW spend on LSD and Exhaust etc. Value for money i30 wins in my opinion. If I was buying a BMW I would get the M2. Cheers

Reactions: Raul_I30Nblue

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
C'mon man, no comparison here. 140i has a 3.0l engine and RWD, and is a car with no competition in that class. LSD is something that you can always upgrade to. Exhaust also.
As much as I love I30N, I have to give it to the 140i.
I30 is a bit more practical as it has more room in the back seat.

And of course, you can get crazy power with that 3.0 turbo.
Yes I agree, but I heard it's not only the lack of lsd that makes it unpredictable, it's also the suspension set up.

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
Running costs are a lot cheaper for the i30N , depends how much money you want to spend as well. Buy the i30N no more to spend , buy the BMW spend on LSD and Exhaust etc. Value for money i30 wins in my opinion. If I was buying a BMW I would get the M2. Cheers
Yeah that's what I tough, with all those upgrades It would almost cost me the same as an M2 here in spain. But also M140i are automatics and that could make the driving more dull.

i'm messed up😂

Reactions: alpiv64

GazmaN

Staff member
Nthusiast
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
@Raul_I30Nblue just ask @Bigbruiseral - he still checks in from time to time 🙂. Here's his thread:

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
@Raul_I30Nblue just ask @Bigbruiseral - he still checks in from time to time 🙂. Here's his thread:

Thanks a lot mate! He will know the answer for sure 😄

c4bl3

Nthusiast
Feb 21, 2019
Germany
Don't just look at raw numbers. Sure the M140i will be much more powerful.
But, and this is in my opinion much more important. The i30N will reward you with something the M140i probably won't. And that's emotions.
I have a friend. He had the i30N and bought the M140i in addition. He told me that the M140i is the technical better car with more power, RWD and DCT. But he also told me that it's fun for the first days but boring after quite a time. Then he sold the i30N. Became unhappy. Now sold M140i and bought a M2. Long story short. If you can afford buy a M2. Otherwise stick with the i30N.
I have my i30N now for almost 3 years and I have a grin on the face every time I get in the car :)

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
Don't just look at raw numbers. Sure the M140i will be much more powerful.
But, and this is in my opinion much more important. The i30N will reward you with something the M140i probably won't. And that's emotions.
I have a friend. He had the i30N and bought the M140i in addition. He told me that the M140i is the technical better car with more power, RWD and DCT. But he also told me that it's fun for the first days but boring after quite a time. Then he sold the i30N. Became unhappy. Now sold M140i and bought a M2. Long story short. If you can afford buy a M2. Otherwise stick with the i30N.
I have my i30N now for almost 3 years and I have a grin on the face every time I get in the car :)
Interesting the story about your friend! (Yeah the M2 is my dream car, but Im not rich 😁)

Well, definitely Im buying the I30N guys!!!
The performance facelift, manual and with the buckets 😄.

And last question, do you know the hp and torque can handle this engine?
(maintaining reliability in the internals of course)

something like a light stage 1 with K&A filter could reach real 300hp and 400nm?

Thanks so much guys!
Eager to join the N family!😜🚀

c4bl3

Nthusiast
Feb 21, 2019
Germany
With just software you can easily run 300hp and about 450nm.
With a few modification you can achieve about 320hp. I recommend to limit torque at about 450-480nm.
For every bigger numbers you need at least to upgrade turbo, clutch and high pressure fuel pump.
Then you can aim for ~380hp and ~520nm. There are some people (search for TarmoT or Dan) who did this process already.

Last but not least - welcome to the family.

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
With just software you can easily run 300hp and about 450nm.
With a few modification you can achieve about 320hp. I recommend to limit torque at about 450-480nm.
For every bigger numbers you need at least to upgrade turbo, clutch and high pressure fuel pump.
Then you can aim for ~380hp and ~520nm. There are some people (search for TarmoT or Dan) who did this process already.

Last but not least - welcome to the family.
Wow thats so much! Yeah with 300hp and 400nm I will be more than happy.

Also maybe the new facelift have some changes in the engine, they say stock: 280hp and 392nm.

I just saw the first review:

I30n facelift

It seems more agresive set up, leaving the back end move a lot (like typeR ish)

Thanks so much!

Bigbruiseral

Nthusiast
Mar 30, 2018
North east
I answered privately but a few of my thoughts publicly after 2 years with M140i

1.Price, decent shadow edition £23k unbeatable value

2. Tunning B58, spent £500 went from 355hp to 435hp it will run that all day safe

3.Diff, open debate mine is std diff my friend has with a MP diff, yes it put's the power down better and is 2k Option you can add anytime, I dont plan to get one because i simply dont need one, If its wet dont drive like an idiot and you will fine if you learnt how to drive RWD

4.running cost is not a factor didt see any real change , working at the same office for 10 years same route every day, not scientific but you get the idea

Nissan skyline average 15mpg
kia pro ceed average 26mpg
I30N average 28mpg
M140i average 34mpg

M140i had it 1st service £200 done second last service 2 weeks ago £100....

This was in their comfort mode and driving normally to the speed limit, I can get the M140i to do 15mpg but we dont condone that driving on a public road right :)

5.Also had an M2 competition for 2 weeks could not wait give it back, fuel consumption was bad real bad, gear changes were terrible and the running costs where silly, old engine compared to the B58 and considering the cost from M140 to M2C you would have to be insane or wealthy to choose it. M2C handing is far superior but not enough to warrant £40k purchase

salemetal

Nthusiast
Oct 18, 2019
Bjelovar

2. Tunning B58, spent £500 went from 355hp to 435hp it will run that all day safe

3.Diff, open debate mine is std diff my friend has with a MP diff, yes it put's the power down better and is 2k Option you can add anytime, I dont plan to get one because i simply dont need one, If its wet dont drive like an idiot and you will fine if you learnt how to drive RWD

4.running cost is not a factor didt see any real change , working at the same office for 10 years same route every day, not scientific but you get the idea

I30N average 28mpg
M140i average 34mpg

This was in their comfort mode and driving normally to the speed limit, I can get the M140i to do 15mpg but we dont condone that driving on a public road right :)

5.Also had an M2 competition for 2 weeks could not wait give it back, fuel consumption was bad real bad, gear changes were terrible and the running costs where silly, old engine compared to the B58 and considering the cost from M140 to M2C you would have to be insane or wealthy to choose it. M2C handing is far superior but not enough to warrant £40k purchase
You didn't consider 240i?

Mjh7290

Mar 2, 2021
Gosport
I had a bmw m140 for a year and was a nice car to drive and very quick, also the b58 engine can be mapped to 420 Bhp very easily, running costs like servicing are more then the i30 and obviously the i30 is not as fast in a straight line.

would I go back to the bmw probably not as I prefer the handling and the i30 is also slightly more comfortable during every day use, and to be honest I can use more of the i30 power around the bends than I could with the m140.

my next car will more than likely be a m2 comp as I think that is a step up from both the m140 and i30 but it should be at the price.

both cars are great but you do get a lot more for the money with the i30 but that’s just my opinion.

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid

I30N average 28mpg
M140i average 34mpg

Well yeah, all things come's down to prices.

Here in Spain we pay a lot of taxes, the prices are:

*I30N Perf 2021(New) 35k€ (31,1k £)

*M140i shadow (used) 36-37k € (32k £)
+ LSD (3K€) = 39K € (33,7k £)

*M2 LCI (used) 45k € (38k £)

*M2 competition (used) 54k € (46,6k £)

As you can see, there is quite step up in price from the M140i to the M2 (~ +6.000£).

I really love the RWD vibes of my Z4, but in DSC off is also unpredictable due to the lack of LSD (in other words, it can't drift safe) only powersliding.

And really to me is really frustrating having 230hp RWD and can't drift it a bit in the country side 😄.

I know the i30n don't drift, but many people say that is very active and engaging to play with it's balance and let the tail lose (like lift oversteer).

Im going to test both cars soon and I will post my impresion's and the winer.

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it!
😜

Reactions: Bigbruiseral

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
[/QUOTE]
I had a bmw m140 for a year and was a nice car to drive and very quick, also the b58 engine can be mapped to 420 Bhp very easily, running costs like servicing are more then the i30 and obviously the i30 is not as fast in a straight line.

would I go back to the bmw probably not as I prefer the handling and the i30 is also slightly more comfortable during every day use, and to be honest I can use more of the i30 power around the bends than I could with the m140.

my next car will more than likely be a m2 comp as I think that is a step up from both the m140 and i30 but it should be at the price.

both cars are great but you do get a lot more for the money with the i30 but that’s just my opinion.
Hey guys, finally I just drove an M140i today!

And let me tell you, I was Shocked! 😂 how good this car pulls. In matter of seconds I was doing the speed of light 😂 for real.

So much adrenaline!!

Now I know what are these cars about

Apart from the magnificient engine (wich to me felt like more than 340hp) and the perfect ZF8 auto.

I don't really think that needs an lsd, this car had the PS4's and was sticking very good in sport plus.

But yeah, the handling compare to my Z4, felt so floaty (had the pasive suspension) and the direction was very light and uncomunicative.

I didn't floor it in a curve, but I will say I feel more confident in my z4 than this.

The other disapointment was the exhaust, it was just unexiting, only some sound inside when flooring it. But just muted no pops no anything (to me that needs and urgent aftermarket exhaust 😄)

To sum up I think is a complete package: RWD, enormous adrenaline rush with that engine, and practical at the same time.

But it's true that:

"Is not that It doesn't handle, it just don't comunicate any sense at all, and thus you don't feel inxspiring flooring on curves"

Also coming from a manual, having and automatic the drive is quite numb when you are not flooring it.

I really love it, but needs a few tewks on the set up, and good exhaust.

Im going to test the I30n facelift soon, as soon as I test I will post my experiences and the winer.
😄🚀

Reactions: c4bl3

Bigbruiseral

Nthusiast
Mar 30, 2018
North east
Nice and fair review mate, wait you get like 480bhp like then you get poo stains instead of adrenaline :)

Going for power flex bushes black next month so that will help as the gap is huge in the suspension, did it on the 130n with purples and it did cure that wheel hop to an extent

Last edited:

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
Nice and fair review mate, wait you get like 480bhp like then you get poo stains instead of adrenaline :)

Going for power flex bushes black next month so that will help as the gap is huge in the suspension, did it on the 130n with purples and it did cure that wheel hop to an extent
Haahahah😂 it was dope man, I really didn't know that it could pull that fast, that engine is a beast!

Yeah I think with some good suspension and changing the front cumber's to will solve the lack of feeling and the stability on curves.

But that mod's and the exhaust get's very close to M2 territory prices here in Spain 😄

Bigbruiseral

Nthusiast
Mar 30, 2018
North east
For the Exhaust all you do is cut out the 2 middle resonators and straight pipe it £100) , very cheap and will sound amazing on the B58 as for the camber there is already a pre made kit M4 lower control arm and tension struts kit (£350)