• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N MoTec ECU installation, diagnose faulty fuel pump, and hit max power on stock fueling.

nsport

Aug 13, 2018
Australia
The i30N has been in hiding for a while due to some tuning gremlins we could not seem to iron out since last year. Under boost at the upper end of the rev limits the car would sputter and misfire.

Multiple flash tunes and piggy backs couldn't seem to fix the problem, so she was packed away while we waited for someone to develop a standalone ECU, rather than wasting our money entering track days and having the car throw limp codes all day.

Enter Powertune Australia with their own MOTEC M142 PnP ECU.

Finally we were able to figure out what was going on with the i30 (faulty HPFP) and while we were at it add a flex fuel sensor.

Considering we predicted a fair power bump, it was time for a new clutch from Xtreme, and a few other little modifications including a Big Mouth air intake from CMA and some new 265 wide Nexen Sur4G rubber.

We didn't end up hitting the power we expected, but it seems we have discovered the ceiling for the stock HPFP, makes me cast a bit of doubt on people who are claiming power higher than 320whp on stock fuel pump. Literally nothing we did on the tune could exceed that power.

Either the turbo or the fuel pump are the bottle neck (although we do have a high flow turbo).

Next week we will install a Hyundai Motorsport TCR fuel pump, retune and see whether it's the turbo. If it is, we will look at upgrade options.

nsport

Aug 13, 2018
Australia
Is this the fuel pump:

Yup, installing this week, back on dyno and see if it gives us more power :)

Reactions: Bu11eT

jeroenvde

Nthusiast
Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
Following your channel on Youtube for a long time now. Keep up the good work! :)
It's very interesting to see the technical details in the quest of more HP!

Are there any technical specs available for the TCR fuel pump? Like max flowrate and that kind of stuff?
ps, does the Motec support full throttle shifting?

Reactions: Bu11eT

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
:)
The i30N has been in hiding for a while due to some tuning gremlins we could not seem to iron out since last year. Under boost at the upper end of the rev limits the car would sputter and misfire.

Multiple flash tunes and piggy backs couldn't seem to fix the problem, so she was packed away while we waited for someone to develop a standalone ECU, rather than wasting our money entering track days and having the car throw limp codes all day.

Enter Powertune Australia with their own MOTEC M142 PnP ECU.

Finally we were able to figure out what was going on with the i30 (faulty HPFP) and while we were at it add a flex fuel sensor.

Considering we predicted a fair power bump, it was time for a new clutch from Xtreme, and a few other little modifications including a Big Mouth air intake from CMA and some new 265 wide Nexen Sur4G rubber.

We didn't end up hitting the power we expected, but it seems we have discovered the ceiling for the stock HPFP, makes me cast a bit of doubt on people who are claiming power higher than 320whp on stock fuel pump. Literally nothing we did on the tune could exceed that power.

Either the turbo or the fuel pump are the bottle neck (although we do have a high flow turbo).

Next week we will install a Hyundai Motorsport TCR fuel pump, retune and see whether it's the turbo. If it is, we will look at upgrade options.

You're bottle necked at the FMIC cold and hot pipes. Both sides are narrow and need to be opened up. Also, the additional of a TB /Manifold spacers along with a bored throttle body like I run by MAXBORE, will most certainly bring more hp out of the motor. Also if you haven't upgraded the downpipe, there's another bottleneck to overcome. Don't forget the; Turbo Inlet, this is another bottleneck that needs to be contended with. There are several different Turbo Inlet Kits available, Forge Motorsports, SXTH Element and aFe Takada.

Any of these can be opened up to accommodate the larger turbo inlet. However this is a must for a turbo upgrade.

The stock HPFP and LPFP are fine up to 385-395 whp. The high performance HPFP, isn't going to matter unless the fuel rail, injectors, and LPFP are upgraded to supplement the requirement for additional fuel. Most of this has already been done by a couple of members here and something for you to consider.

Powertune Australia with their own MOTEC M142 PnP ECU
You're one of the lucky ones. MOTEC must not be interested in selling them to anyone outside Australia. I've contacted them several times and all I got was an answer of; We'll get back to you or one of our distributors will. Still nothing from them after 5 months.

There are plenty of small additions you can make to improve whp.:) The Velossa Tech Ram Air Snorkel, will help much more with a closed air box. Not so much with the hot air system you're running. You need a heat protection sleeve on the aluminum intake tube. Also get rid of the aluminum air inlet cover, to keep IAT's and heat soak under control. You'd be better off without it. It quickly heat soaks and increases IAT's which reduces whp.

Correspond with SXTH Element, as they've already eclipsed and went beyond what you're making with the stock LPFP and HPFP and no issues running 21 psi on their Upgraded Turbo Kit.

Click on any of the photos to enlarge them.

Last edited:

nsport

Aug 13, 2018
Australia
You're bottle necked at the cold and hot pipes. Both sides are narrow and need to be opened up. Also, the additional of a TB /Manifold spacers along with a bored throttle body like I run by MAXBORE, will most certainly bring more hp out of the motor. Also if you haven't upgraded the downpipe, there's another bottleneck to overcome. Don't forget the; Turbo Inlet, this is another bottleneck that needs to be contended with. There are several different Turbo Inlet Kits available, Forge Motorsports, SXTH Element and aFe Takada.

Any of these can be opened up to accommodate the larger turbo inlet. However this is a must for a turbo upgrade.

The stock HPFP and LPFP are fine up to 385-395 whp. The high performance HPFP, isn't going to matter unless the fuel rail, injectors, and LPFP are upgraded to supplement the requirement for additional fuel. Most of this has already been done by a couple of members here and something for you to consider.

You're one of the lucky ones. MOTEC must not be interested in selling them to anyone outside Australia. I've contacted them several times and all I got was an answer of; We'll get back to you or one of our distributors will. Still nothing from them after 5 months.

There are plenty of small additions you can make to improve whp.:) The Velossa Tech Ram Air Snorkel, will help much more with a closed air box. Not so much with the hot air system you're running. You need a heat protection sleeve on the aluminum intake tube. Also get rid of the aluminum air inlet cover, to keep IAT's and heat soak under control. You'd be better off without it. It quickly heat soaks and increases IAT's which reduces whp.

Correspond with SXTH Element, as they've already eclipsed and went beyond what you're making with the stock LPFP and HPFP and no issues running 21 psi on their Upgraded Turbo Kit.

Cheers for the reply.

The LPFP is having no problem supplying 100psi the entire time so that at present is not a bottleneck. Although the injectors will be reaching max duty cycle, this is easily enough overcome with increased FP by the HPFP to give more headroom. As Far as i am aware, there are no drop in injector upgrades, these appear to be the biggest DI units from the hyundai/kia family at present.

The HPFP starts to drop off when approaching 320whp, however we ran out of time before making this video to investigate further.

I'll definitely look into the suggestions of opening up the turbo feed and outlet.

Presently running an Xforce catless DP, so no restriction there.

The air intake pipes were only ever supposed to be temporary, but we haven't had time to make new ones yet, it's certainly on the cards before the next outing.

If the issue isn't the fuel pump (easy swap) then I'll definitely address the other aspects and report back.

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
I don’t believe the Hyundai TCR is utilizing the stock injectors or fuel rail. If you have an in with them I’d ask them what they are utilizing and if your able to work something out with them.

Nov 23, 2018
Australia
You're bottle necked at the FMIC cold and hot pipes. Both sides are narrow and need to be opened up. Also, the additional of a TB /Manifold spacers along with a bored throttle body like I run by MAXBORE, will most certainly bring more hp out of the motor. Also if you haven't upgraded the downpipe, there's another bottleneck to overcome. Don't forget the; Turbo Inlet, this is another bottleneck that needs to be contended with. There are several different Turbo Inlet Kits available, Forge Motorsports, SXTH Element and aFe Takada.

I'm not sure what MOTEC dealer you spoke with about the kit, however they certainly are available to anyone that wishes to purchase one.
Contact the guys at Powertune Australia directly, and they will be able to get one to you.

Reactions: Bu11eT and nsport