• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N lemon

That g'box TSB applied to the VIN's with range shown
Cars manu'd after this had this known problem resolved. I'm not saying there isn't a new one but the notch in 5th/6th is fixed in Hyundai's eyes. Mine still is a little until the oil temp (not water) is up to just below 100c, but mine is after the TSB relating to the issue so not covered like I said.

I was left high and dry by Ford Aust. once over a failed heat-exchanger (mixed the coolant & trans fluid) which trashed the $9k ZF 6spd in my G6E Turbo (3.5 years old, 80thou kays). Told me it was maintenance issues and short story my problem to sort.......except when 2 scheduled services I mentioned the odd shifts and it didn't seem 'right'. Fords response? "Normal Operation" both times, then it failed.. Claim to repair at their cost was denied. So I wrote a letter stating facts (knowing of other failures) and one of which was in the service dept. where my car was (for 12weeks) that had a sign that said "Own a Falcon/Territory with ZF6 spd? avoid costly transmission repairs & fit a transmission cooler only $700". My claim went from denied to 95% of costs covered in 2 days. Still cost me $1000, which is better than $9k for a new g'box plus the $1000 for oil & misc. bits. Google 'Falcon Milkshake' if you're curious, happened to my brothers FG XR6 too.

Dealers want you to go away, you need to skip the dealer and go to the top, it took 12 weeks with Ford of back & forth conversations. They even scratched my car while they had it, saw this when I picked it up, queued some more rage. No more Fords for me, while I had to deal with an idiot at the dealership it was the 'top dogs' who ruined it for me.

Like others I dubious about the "track warranty" it's a great sales pitch but I'd like to hear from someone that had a part fail on the track and Hyundai said not a problem, it's covered by your "Track Warranty".

I wish you the best of luck with your up coming battle, don't give up! keep fighting & hopefully you'll get a great or a reasonable (at worst) result.

Reactions: BillTheButcher
Cars manu'd after this had this known problem resolved. I'm not saying there isn't a new one but the notch in 5th/6th is fixed in Hyundai's eyes. Mine still is a little until the oil temp (not water) is up to just below 100c, but mine is after the TSB relating to the issue so not covered like I said.

I was left high and dry by Ford Aust. once over a failed heat-exchanger (mixed the coolant & trans fluid) which trashed the $9k ZF 6spd in my G6E Turbo (3.5 years old, 80thou kays). Told me it was maintenance issues and short story my problem to sort.......except when 2 scheduled services I mentioned the odd shifts and it didn't seem 'right'. Fords response? "Normal Operation" both times, then it failed.. Claim to repair at their cost was denied. So I wrote a letter stating facts (knowing of other failures) and one of which was in the service dept. where my car was (for 12weeks) that had a sign that said "Own a Falcon/Territory with ZF6 spd? avoid costly transmission repairs & fit a transmission cooler only $700". My claim went from denied to 95% of costs covered in 2 days. Still cost me $1000, which is better than $9k for a new g'box plus the $1000 for oil & misc. bits. Google 'Falcon Milkshake' if you're curious, happened to my brothers FG XR6 too.

Dealers want you to go away, you need to skip the dealer and go to the top, it took 12 weeks with Ford of back & forth conversations. They even scratched my car while they had it, saw this when I picked it up, queued some more rage. No more Fords for me, while I had to deal with an idiot at the dealership it was the 'top dogs' who ruined it for me.

Like others I dubious about the "track warranty" it's a great sales pitch but I'd like to hear from someone that had a part fail on the track and Hyundai said not a problem, it's covered by your "Track Warranty".

I wish you the best of luck with your up coming battle, don't give up! keep fighting & hopefully you'll get a great or a reasonable (at worst) result.
My mechanic knew all about the problems with the G6ET and changed mine proactively. I miss that car.

Reactions: Hugh_85
Hi N30ers

Many thanks for all the feeback and advice. Below is the latest communication from Lenock....

Good Morning Chris,

? has informed me that you have requested the denied claim from Hyundai in writing. As I am not authorised to give you the internal documents, they have authorised me to copy the responses from these documents and release these to you. I have attached 2 extracts from the requests we have put in to Hyundai. The first is from the Technical department and the second is from the claims department. I have also attached some copies of the clutch wear descriptors.

We are happy to assist in your claiming of warranty and the thereafter support, as the vehicle sits now it is laid up in mid repair. (this is not the case as both Lenock and Hyundai have said the matter is now closed and cannot go any further!) I believe ? discussed the possibility of moving forward by replacing the clutch and having the vehicle back in a driveable condition ready for the road. We understand you are, and have been without the vehicle and we are also looking forward at resolving the issue (not really the case as they have said nothing else can or will be done). Moving forward and having the repair carried out ensures there is no delay once the responsibility of costs have been resolved (obviously with me!). If you have not already done so , another option would be to have a conversation with your insurance company as some policies come with mechanical protection and it may be covered by your current insurance policy (not covered). If this is the case we can have the repair done, you cover the cost and the insurance company send you a check for the repair costs, we have done this in the past for other customers and it has been quite successful. We have not ordered any parts at this stage(although early is says it is part repaired?). These are all only options at this stage that we can see will move the repair forward, we cannot store the vehicle in this condition indefinitely.

Hope this assists you in your decisions and we can be of further assistance or have any further questions?

I have attached the information that they sent me for reference and they have made the decison that the damage to the clutch is beacuse of my improper drving. This is not the case as I neither speed consistently (very hard in Canberra going from Banks to Fyshwick in rush hours) and I most certainly have not undertaken excessive down shifting more than 2 gears. I also thought that the car has active rev matching capabilities that assist with timely gear changes?

As previously mentioned, I took the car back as soon as I noticed the issue (3 months ago and at 17,000 km) and was told there was nothing wrong. Surely not my fault that they did not undertake a proper assessment? This then begs the questions if all was good in August how has the extensive damage hapened in only 3 months and 3,000 km?

I am now stuck with a lemon and seriously considering trading it in for a second hand car as I could not be bothered dealing with this hassle again! I should also say that I have had a number of high performance cars and never had anything like this before.

Any more advice is much apprciated.

Attachments

• clutch response Technical.PNG
    clutch response Technical.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 57
  • clutch wear description.PNG
    clutch wear description.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 57
  • clutch wear diagnosis.pdf
    204.4 KB · Views: 57
  • WIP56102.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 49
Excessive down shifting? like to see the definition of that. I commonly skip gears. The rev matching takes away that additional loading that would be placed on the clutch etc.
It does change the dash info & beep if you go for the wrong gear eg. top of 2nd and go near 1st to prevent many sad faces. I heard 1 lunched motor is from miss shifting & massive over rev.
Documented pre-existing convern and they still dismiss it.
I'm nearly at 42thou and I don't exactly baby the car, I've had issues but no mechanic ones (yet). I drive it how the engineers would have wanted (I think :cool:)

Reactions: GazmaN
So it is definitely clutch and not gearbox. The problem is that clutches, like brakes, are notoriously difficult to get replaced under warranty when there is any evidence of glazing as it is nearly always caused by a lot of slippage and/or excessive load and heat. If there was no glazing and the material was separating then you'd have a claim. A tough call, particularly if you've driven hipo manual cars with no problem before.

As to their failure to correctly identify to the problem in August, if it was the clutch on its way out then a few months and few thousand kms won't have made a lot of difference. The end result would have been the same. However with the symptoms you've mentioned they should have picked it up at that point.

I'd say the best option you have is to actually have a look at the clutch material itself and get a second opinion from an independent workshop. There is always the chance that what they are claiming is the condition of the clutch isn't that bad. They'll probably be a lot cheaper than Lennock for replacement anyway.

Reactions: Davo01
That clutch is toast. @theories - the only point worth pushing is that you made a complaint prior to clutch warranty expiring, they acknowledged said 'burning smell' yet decided it was not worth investigating further. Focus on that and demand answers. Gonna be a tough fight, all the best mate.

That clutch damage looks like a failure rather than just wear and tear. I know it doesn't seem likely at this point but I hope you get a good result. Keep us posted.

Thanks. Mine's sometimes notchy going into sixth when it's cold (almost like it's a two-step change from 5th) but it's only got a few hundred miles on it. First can be a bit reluctant when manoeuvring at parking speeds but a lot of cars I've had have been like this. Selecting another gear and then gently coaxing it back into 1st usually does the trick.

So in summary NOT a gearbox catastrophic failure.

Fast shifting and downshifting won’t cause the clutch to wear out unless you are a maniac. Riding the clutch while driving (even if it’s unconscious) will as will slipping it lots at the lights / hill holding / creeping in the car parking lot. Not saying the OP does, but that’s what the report says. Even if diagnosed at 17k km, wouldn’t change the outcome. Wear and tear.

Possibly some weird issue with clutch material, but ?

This is all fine but it doesn't distinguish between your's and what they've shown in there service manual. Did they show you the disc wear or did you just take their word for it. Normally with a warranty refusal, they generally take the customer aside and show them the damage.

I take it this didn't happen?

Keep in mind, Hyundai doesn't warranty clutch linings, as I've said before unless you have a 10 Platinum Warranty. Sounds like it's time for an aftermarket clutch pak. I certainly wouldn't have them reinstall an OEM unit, if it was toast in this amount of mileage. Especially, if you've got to pay for it.

Last edited:
Correct....I had to request report...but they will not provide all internal ones and have not offered to show me damage although I would not know what is what! I have contacted the HA COO John Kerr to seek his assurance as HA customer care have washed their hands of the matter!
Anyone want to buy a lemon as it appears that there will no no resolution from Lennock or HA!

have not offered to show me damage although I would not know what is what!

First thing I would be doing is to send them written correspondence saying that you intend to get a further opinion on the cause of the damage and that you will need access to all the damaged components. Even if it is only to take photos for your own records and to confirm what they are claiming.

Remember until you authorise any repairs you own these parts but I've heard of cases where dealerships have thrown away parts once they've refused a claim. If it turns out they've done this, and did not keep any photographic evidence, then you might even be able to make a successful claim as they will no longer be able to provide the necessary proof. Their word and some stock photos of damage shouldn't be enough.

You might have to fight it in ACAT but given the filing fee is only a few hundred dollars it would be worth pursuing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN and Davo01
Yeah - if they refused to show me the damaged parts and/or couldn’t produce them, then I’d be going a tad on the heavy handed side and contacting H head office and the ACC / ombudsman.

Please stop saying “lemon”. It’s a blown clutch, not a lemon car, which at this point could for all you know be your own poor driving habits...without you realizing it as others have pointed out. At worst it is a dodgy dealership at this point.

I can only reiterate that the car has not been driven hard, at high speeds, have not even used the launch control function or been on the track! I have been driving cars for nearly 40 years and never had an issue when driving a manual car and certainly in the 10 cars that I have owned over the past 15 years none has had to have clutch replaced. The fault was identified to the dealership at 17,000 km and they chose to ignore it until it failed completely at 21,000....how coincidental! It is a $50,000 lemon and as such I have contacted the HA COO in Australia for some sort of mediation!

Lol lemon - you need to calm down a bit. All good.

But seriously what you’ve done is what needs to be done: ACC and H head office. I’m sure it will work out as long as you haven’t been riding the clutch :)

Just some friendly advice:

Ask yourself this;

Will your getting upset, help?

Will your worry help?

Will it accomplish anything but getting you upset?

If your answer is no, (Hint; what it ought to be) then stop it. Quit worrying about something you aren't incontrol of. 90% of what you're dealing with, is out of your immediate control. Stop trying to control it. Let the emotions go and do what you can, on the day.

What you get done on the day, is exactly what is suppose to happen, no more no less.
Decide what you are going to do and do it. Otherwise stay within the now, not yesterday or tomorrow.

It's like painting a house, you can't do it all at once. It's impossible, you'd be completely overwhelmed. Take it a day at a time, doing what you can do. It's just that simple.

You can get transportation; You can get a ride. You can ride a bus. You can rent a car. You can walk. You can ride a bicycle. You can take a train, You can get a cab. You have many options to think about as solutions. Take them one at a time. Decide what to do about each problem individually and their solution and do it. Don't move on to the next until you have a viable solution, for the one your working on now.

Prioritize what needs to be done now. Then do what needs to be done next a step at a time. Use an outline of what you are thinking and put it in order. Do it on paper or computer, so you can keep track of what your doing. This way you don't have to keep thinking about it. It will be on paper/computer in front of you at anytime and you can add to or re-prioritize as you need to.

You're overwhelming yourself, simply stop it. Learn to accept what is in front of you and realize, it will work itself out, as you deal with each issue. If it doesn't, you've done all you can possibly do within your ability.

Cheers and please relax. Nothing happens now, nothing, except breathing!! If you aren't breathing, it doesn't matter.o_O:eek::D Accept it as it is.:)

Last edited:
This is all pretty sage advice. I know it is easy to give this out when our clutches are intact and we are able to drive our cars.
@R Veloster N is correct in that you can only do what you can do. You are however allowed to be angry and frustrated too. Just remember to reflect at some point and remember things are not so bad in our first world lives.
The cool and calm approach will always get you further in life anyway IMO.
We all want this resolved for you as we all have a vested interest in these vehicles. :cool::)