• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N lemon

Hugh_85

Jun 11, 2018
SE QLD, Australia
Warranty is great when something is 100% faulty & dealer accepts it as a warrant-able repair. If it's intermittent then you're at the "lets collect some data" ransom. That's where I'm at, they swapped the injectors in #3 & #1 and now we're waiting for it to fault to confirm it's the injectors.....

I think the dealer service departments need to put in a little more effort in learning that problems exist outside the text book and perhaps do a little searching on the internet for common faults reported by customers. I mentioned the creaking dash/wiper trim back when the weather was cooler to Service adviser, had head mechanic come for a drive & he said they didn't want to investigate it further because they're afraid of breaking something trying to fix it. Once it got warmer the problem goes again. Geoff Fear knew about it & showed me how easy & simple the fix is & as others have found & made doco's, dealer fobbed it. Same as my driver seat creaks when you sit down in it, dealer blamed the noise on the clip for a seat organiser and yet I removed the organiser clip and the noise remains. Great investigation done there.......

My comments are little off from where the original post started but still relate back to the service dept. wanting to fob the customer off instead of working a little harder to make the customer happy.

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
My comments are little off from where the original post started but still relate back to the service dept. wanting to fob the customer off instead of working a little harder to make the customer happy.
This for me is the key problem. Hyundai dealers are obviously used to dealing with commodity products and people who on average don't know a lot about cars. Suddenly they get enthusiasts who on average know at bit more than their normal customer (yes there are always exceptions) and are more demanding.

I don't think they've really understood this and when dealing with what should be minor issues they create a poor relationship from the start by fobbing people off or suggesting stupid options to resolve problems that are more about minimising their effort rather than solving the problem.

Stash-N

May 24, 2018
Adelaide Australia
This for me is the key problem. Hyundai dealers are obviously used to dealing with commodity products and people who on average don't know a lot about cars. Suddenly they get enthusiasts who on average know at bit more than their normal customer (yes there are always exceptions) and are more demanding.

I don't think they've really understood this and when dealing with what should be minor issues they create a poor relationship from the start by fobbing people off or suggesting stupid options to resolve problems that are more about minimising their effort rather than solving the problem.
Nail on the head I believe. Not all Hyundai dealers but the majority I would imagine. :cool::)

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
And to add to this here in Australia dealers these days are charging their time out at $150+ per hour. Whether I'm paying that directly or through warranty I expect the service to be top notch.

I don't want parts replacers or to be able to find out more about potential problems/solutions for my car from Google than the dealership.

Cavaco90

Mar 26, 2019
Portugal

I guess the line of cars Hyundai was producing up until the N just promoted that amount of people you described as "don't know a lot about cars", whereas with the N they called the Nthusiasts to the field and we demand more than the average Hyundai user. This and adding the fact the car is only 3 years old, the most of the dealers flip when a problem happens outside their comfort zone. I'm hopping 2 years from now the technicians are more aware of the known troubles and fix it right away, but until there....

Reactions: Stash-N and GazmaN

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
I'm hopping 2 years from now the technicians are more aware of the known troubles and fix it right away, but until there....
Although to be fair the techs they had at the Australian N Festival like Geoff Fear were absolutely top rate. Had a car on a hoist and were willing to explain anything and everything you asked.

They've clearly done a lot of hard miles with i30Ns in everything from club level motorsport through to Targa Tassie and WTAC and are willing to share this with owners. Just hope some of it filters through to their dealer network.

Cavaco90

Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
Although to be fair the techs they had at the Australian N Festival like Geoff Fear were absolutely top rate. Had a car on a hoist and were willing to explain anything and everything you asked.

They've clearly done a lot of hard miles with i30Ns in everything from club level motorsport through to Targa Tassie and WTAC and are willing to share this with owners. Just hope some of it filters through to their dealer network.
The exception confirms the rule. Glad they are good on that side of the globe.

Reactions: Stash-N

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
The problem is; Hyundai doesn't long term road test it's production cars. So, they aren't experiencing the issues. They're letting the owners be their testors. Dealerships are responding to the issues, some poorly and still others with interest in providing good service to the owners.

However, neither have an TSB to work from. Until that happens, it's a cut and paste scenario. They're simply unaware of the actual issue. They don't read forums like this, they wait for TSB from Hyundai to inform them what the issues are and how to correct it.

They, Hyundai service techs and engineers are working in the dark initially. This is where most of the issues arise. Most techs nowadays are so oriented to the use of GDS to determine where to start, they've forgotten or possible have never been taught to diagnosis problems without it.

I admit it's not like it used to be, especially with the technology that's been added to cars but nevertheless, simply mechanical diagnostics still apply.

Working in the dark makes them nothing but "parts changers." They're guessing, nothing more. Hyundai regional engineers, are no different. They're going to authorize replacement parts, until the hit the proverbial nail on the head.

What I don't care for is; Hyundai's lack of long term model testing.

Last edited:

oodLes

Oct 14, 2019
Australia
The reason I keep stating warranty is I have had no issues with my dealership, in fact they have quite honestly treated me like a king with this car, very different to other cars I have owned. Fantastic service tbh. Anything I bring up they action immediately and Hyundai is authorising every request from them.

I do also understand an intermittent problem is incredibly frustrating and hard to diagnose and get resolved. Video evidence should be enough of whatever the issue is and if it's not perhaps contacting Hyundai Aus directly is the way to go if the dealership is unhelpful.