• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N lemon

theories

Nov 29, 2019
Canberra
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I am waiting on the written report and then will take up with the dealer principal and assuming they will not do anything I will follow up with Fair Trading and ACCC. After sales care has been rubbish and will never buy a Hyundai again! Buyers beware!

Reactions: MPSFunjet

iiNNEX

Sep 5, 2019
Surrey, UK
Oh don’t be that kind of a person please. As long as your negative experience has been with a dealer, don’t buy from that dealer again but don’t blame it on the manufacturer right away ;)
His experience is also with the car no? The fact that in under less than a year the gearbox is gone?

I have had nothing but issues with both of my i30Ns when it comes to gearboxes, my 2 cents is that this car is serious QC issues and Hyundai is not taking responsibility. As much as I love it, I also cannot believe the amount of trips to the dealer I've had to do in 2 and a half months of ownership.

It has definitely left a stain on the brand for me.

Reactions: MPSFunjet

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
These are production issues that need to be identified by Hyundai directly. The only way they will get identified is; every owner with similar issues need to report them, forcing Hyundai to make a change with the transmission.

I understand the frustration and concern but you also have lemon laws which protect you as well. Most equate to 3 strikes without a resolution and Hyundai has to take the car back and refund the purchase price. When this begins to happen they will respond for sure.

I did overlook the TSB;
This is a precursor to such transmission failure issues, especially if it's not been identified directly by the owner. Hyundai, is definately aware of the issue and has been fixing them. So this opens the door for further issues with the transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillTheButcher

Davo01

Jan 28, 2019
South Australia
Just to be clear: it is totally unclear about a gearbox failure. The OP called it that in the same breath as talking about failing clutch / clutch smell. I think the OP needs to clarify, as I asked earlier (but never got a response): clutch failure or gearbox failure seemingly totally out of the blue (as gearbox issues where not mentioned).

Otherwise, people here (have already) jumped to conclusions.

Reactions: Stash-N

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
I understand the frustration and concern but you also have lemon laws which protect you as well. Most equate to 3 strikes without a resolution and Hyundai has to take the car back and refund the purchase price. When this begins to happen they will respond for sure.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a lemon law in Australia. We have consumer guarantees that in the case of a "major failure" allow the consumer to seek a remedy of their choice, including a full refund. The problem is that in practice these laws are almost impossible to enforce.

Most tribunals that hear these matters have limits of less than $30k. Where we live it's $25k. Anything above that and you have to go to a proper court where costs easily run into the many thousands of dollars. Lose and you pay the other party's legal and expert costs.

Most tribunal members and claimants have little to no mechanical expertise. This means that dealers/manufacturers can generally mount a more compelling case.

It can take 2-3 months for a quick case. As most people need their car they will walk away or take a token settlement.

What this means in practice is many manufacturers simply play the odds and deny what are legitimate claims. Our regulators are trying to fight back (Mazda is currently going through the courts for 10 cases) but the odds are still with the manufacturers.

The way we as owners can hold them liable is to share information on common faults and their causes. This gets away from individual owners driving habits being blamed for systemic issues. If I use launch control every second day or data shows I shifted from 5 to 2 on the track and the gearbox goes then it's my fault. If I just drive it hard and the gearbox dies then it should be on them.

Reactions: without

Davo01

Jan 28, 2019
South Australia
I agree: but what we have here is a world first unexpected catastrophic total gearbox failure. Either that or a clutch dying, which is certainly not a first but more difficult to assign blame.

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
Yep clutches are tough. I've had one replaced under warranty in a WRX because it shuddered from new when cold. A common problem.

But like brakes clutches can wear very quickly due to driver behaviour. Will be interesting to see what is actually wrong here.

Reactions: Davo01

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Just to be clear: it is totally unclear about a gearbox failure. The OP called it that in the same breath as talking about failing clutch / clutch smell. I think the OP needs to clarify, as I asked earlier (but never got a response): clutch failure or gearbox failure seemingly totally out of the blue (as gearbox issues where not mentioned).

Otherwise, people here (have already) jumped to conclusions.
Most certainly it's all speculation and presumption. Which is the majority of answers to such issues given on forums. We don't have the full explanation from either side.;)

Davo01

Jan 28, 2019
South Australia
My bet is it’s clutch. See my post earlier: $4k is the exact $ plenty of FB posts are claiming H quotes for a new clutch. A “failed” gearbox for $4k....yeah nah.

Reactions: R Veloster N

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
That's why I asked for a full explanation, since there is no service criteria except for opinion for such failures.;):)

@mickjf I believe this particular issue might meet Australia criteria of a "major failure" wouldn't you?:D

Reactions: Davo01

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
But like brakes clutches can wear very quickly due to driver behaviour. Will be interesting to see what is actually wrong here.
Indeed. My grandma's car needs a clutch every 10k km. Mind you she's 91 (grandma, not the car) and she keeps her foot on the clutch all of the time for as long as she has her drivers licence. Some cars could take that with no issues, the car she has now can't. It is just a habit that has grown on her but that kills clutches...
Not saying that it is the same in this case, just pointing out that some people have habits that they might not be aware of but that can cause these kind of problems.
I'm very curious about the written report from Hyundai...

MPSFunjet

Apr 24, 2018
Australia
Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. The 5 year warranty which also covers Track use gives the impression the product should last and cop a little abuse. I've heard similar stories of Hyundai rejecting claims and owners seeking intervention from Fair Trading. While I've had 60000km of trouble free motoring, this makes me un-easy. If this is how they honour warranty, it's not worth sh!t. With this knowledge, I doubt i will buy another Hyundai.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
This is just one issue out of 10's of thousands of warranty claims. It's not seen as a norm but and exception for Hyundai.

Don't go off the deep end. We still haven't heard all the where for's of the issue and refusal to honor the warranty claim. I imagine if it's a clutch, they have justification as clutch linings are not warranted. If it's a transmission failure, then we still need to read more about what was said and what actually transpired.

If the dealership is crap, so is their warranty service and customer support. Everything stems from the dealership manager and how they run the business.

Warranties are applied the same as customer service. If the dealership has a reputation for poor customer service, their warranty service is generally poor also. It happens more with smaller dealerships, who are out to make a buck to maintain their profitability.

They only get paid a for specific man hours for warrantied claims and this is generally in the form of OEM parts credits. This is why you normally see parts at much higher costs for paid maintenance and outright parts sales.

There's really nothing wrong with Hyundai's warranty, it's how the dealership applies and reports the warranty claims. Hyundai Customer Service, can only act upon what is reported by the dealership service department. However, escalating a customer complaint on the dealership, can involve a regional visit from a Hyundai engineer to the dealership, to review the complaint and claim. Also a tear down inspection of the car in question.

Last edited:

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
These are production issues that need to be identified by Hyundai directly. The only way they will get identified is; every owner with similar issues need to report them, forcing Hyundai to make a change with the transmission.

I did overlook the TSB;
This is a precursor to such transmission failure issues, especially if it's not been identified directly by the owner. Hyundai, is definately aware of the issue and has been fixing them. So this opens the door for further issues with the transmission.
Does this mean that only cars manufactured before August 13th 2018 are affected?