• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N i30N is not overboosting

MilhoFrito

May 7, 2019
Portugal
As the title says, my i30N Fastback stopped activating the overboost.

I don't know when it stopped because I wasn't paying attention to it, but my car used to show that green turbo icon next to turbo pressure and now it's not.

Also I'm not sure if I feel any difference in performance compared to when I bought the car, because I wasn't used to it.

I went to the dealership today and the engineer didn't find any erros, so next week they will update the engine to see if it fixes it and give Hyundai a call to report the problem.

To finish, there are two possibilities.. the icon is not showing up, but I'm having the correct torque... or the icon is not showing up because there is really a problem.

What you think about this? How can we find out if the car is really activating the overboost or not?

Here are two videos at different RPM of my car:

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
By hammering the crap out of it. You don't have a problem with the engine, just the right foot! :p

Do a search and utilize the word overboost alone as your guide. you'll find a plethora of information. :)

Reactions: N-Mode

MilhoFrito

May 7, 2019
Portugal
I wish that was the problem! šŸ˜‚

I did, but nobody has the same problem. I just saw one thread where the user installed a box and the car stopped the overboost after that, but mine is completely stock

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Just because you aren't getting a overboost signal on the dash, doesn't mean it's not functioning.

Overboost actuates under full throttle heavy use, not gradual or easy throttle use. You need to be hammering the throttle, not progressively throttling at low speeds.

MilhoFrito

May 7, 2019
Portugal
That's what the engineer at the dealership told me when he tried the car. But it wasn't possible to check if the overboost was not functioning. Either way, something is wrong.

I tried a lot of different accelerations, always full throttle. It's already 2 weeks since I notice that there is no overboost signal.

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
That's just the signal on the dash function. The only true way to insure you're getting adequate power is to dyno the motor. You personally have nothing to compare to so it the only way.

You're going to worry yourself to death if you don't stop thinking about the freakin little boost light. There's no malfunction with the ECU and the engine is producing the same power. So what's the problem, other than the little light isn't functioning as you believe it ought to. :)

Lighten up on yourself mate and enjoy the car.

Reactions: J BOB

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
It looks mighty quick to me! Wouldnā€™t worry about it. Very occasional Iā€™ll get that that overboost icon.....maybe full throttle in 4th gear. But itā€™s not something I notice now to be honest.

I think youā€™re in danger of worrying yourself unnecessarily in my opinion.

Reactions: R Veloster N

Nmode

Nov 17, 2019
Spain
hello, the same thing happens to me in my i30 N, a few weeks ago the green light on the board does not come out. Do you have any solution? I have tried everything, accelerating depth in 2,3,4 ..... nothing. sorry for my English.

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
I agree with everything said.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve noticed that little green turbo icon for months now, but my God. The car is flying.

try not to obsess as it will ruin your enjoyment of the car - as previous posters have suggested, some simple tests will tell you if there are any issues.

good luck

Reactions: Nmode

Damir

Nthusiast
Feb 7, 2020
Croatia
Just guessing, maybe you don't have some prerequisite for overboost? Like low quality gasoline, missed service interval or even a minor malfunction. Have you tried 100 octane gasoline?