• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Brakes I30n Brakes

Mylo44

Nthusiast
Sep 13, 2020
Kent
Hi,

I was lucky enough to pick up my new Micron Grey I30n Performance around 2 weeks ago. While driving home, I noticed a fair bit of vibration / judder through the brake pedal when stopping.

I now have around 600 miles on the clock & it’s mostly gone away but not totally under heavy braking. When I look at the front disks, there seems like quite a bit of pad deposit on both front, but only really showing on half of the disk.

Ive booked it in with Hyundai for a check over, but wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?

The one thing I am aware of & I’m not sure if it’s a factor (or even if it is a problem, perhaps that’s just how the brakes feel) is that the car was sat, brand new in the country for at least 6 months before I purchased and it was then sent to the dealer for preparation.

Other than that, I’m loving the car!

Thank you.

Reactions: SayMyNamyang
The OEM pads produce a lot of dust, that's just the nature of them. Your brakes are new, they need a good break in to bed everything in. Like sunnylun said, give them a good hammering, the dust will always be there though.

Thanks for the advice, it’s logical. I’ll get them up to temperature and give them a bit of stick and see if that clears things up over the next few days.

Just felt a little strange stepping in a new car and the brakes not being too good. Especially when I have heard good things about them before.

Lets see how things go over the next few hundred miles. 😊

I've got the same problem with OEM brakes after 8k km. The car is going to the dealership tomorrow for a warranty disc replacement.

The discs are not warped, they just have an uneven layer of pad material deposit on them, driving them harder won't help, it only goes worse, as the same hot spots get more uneven.

You can't warp disc even at four times the heat they were cast. This is an urban legend, with no basis of fact. Rotors heat evenly across the surface, as it's made to travel the entire circumference of the rotor.

Pads are the problem not the rotors. Pad material cannot stick to the rotors, as it is a different material than the rotor.

Reactions: pillred
I've got the same problem with OEM brakes after 8k km. The car is going to the dealership tomorrow for a warranty disc replacement.

The discs are not warped, they just have an uneven layer of pad material deposit on them, driving them harder won't help, it only goes worse, as the same hot spots get more uneven.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. That sounds quite similar to mine. I can see pad deposits on one half of the face of the disc which is unu

I’ve got mine booked in just over a weeks time. I’ll see what they say. If they aren’t prepared to change anything under warranty at that point, at least if it gets worse I will have logged it with the service department and then I can push again at a later date.

Good luck with getting yours sorted.

You can't warp disc even at four times the heat they were cast. This is an urban legend, with no basis of fact. Rotors heat evenly across the surface, as it's made to travel the entire circumference of the rotor.

Pads are the problem not the rotors. Pad material cannot stick to the rotors, as it is a different material than the rotor.

Yes, I don’t think the discs are warped. It was like it on the way home from brand new. I’m sure it’s an issue with the pads as I can see the material on the face of the front discs in certain sections which is a bit bizarre.

Hi,

I was lucky enough to pick up my new Micron Grey I30n Performance around 2 weeks ago. While driving home, I noticed a fair bit of vibration / judder through the brake pedal when stopping.

I now have around 600 miles on the clock & it’s mostly gone away but not totally under heavy braking. When I look at the front disks, there seems like quite a bit of pad deposit on both front, but only really showing on half of the disk.

Ive booked it in with Hyundai for a check over, but wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?

The one thing I am aware of & I’m not sure if it’s a factor (or even if it is a problem, perhaps that’s just how the brakes feel) is that the car was sat, brand new in the country for at least 6 months before I purchased and it was then sent to the dealer for preparation.

Other than that, I’m loving the car!

Thank you.
You mention it happens under heavy braking. Wouldn't the vibration just be the ABS working? Slamming on the brakes in a car with ABS causes the brake pedal to pulse and vibrate.

I had a similar issue from new. 6 months and 4 visits to the dealer later i got new pads and solved it

Front discs and pads replaced today. The vibrations are gone.
The dealer mentioned the pads were overheated and warned me, that if the official importer finds any trace of track use of the car (e.g. facebook photos) the warranty is void on the car.
Sounds a bit odd, as there's no similar statements in the user manual or the warranty terms.

The dealer mentioned the pads were overheated and warned me, that if the official importer finds any trace of track use of the car (e.g. facebook photos) the warranty is void on the car.
Sounds a bit odd, as there's no similar statements in the user manual or the warranty terms.

Do these dealers try to make a sport out of it? How to scare our customers with BS comments?

The freaking car is made to use on track. :)

Do these dealers try to make a sport out of it? How to scare our customers with BS comments?

The freaking car is made to use on track. :)

It's mental, it's like they personally want to void our warrantys at first chance... I asked for a quote to install my eibach springs at next service and dealer told me they will not do it and if I come in and have had it done elsewhere then the warranty will be voided...

I'll take my money elsewhere😂

Reactions: Bu11eT
You mention it happens under heavy braking. Wouldn't the vibration just be the ABS working? Slamming on the brakes in a car with ABS causes the brake pedal to pulse and vibrate.
Hi, thanks for the reply. No I don’t mean that heavy at all. Just intermediate I suppose. I’m certainly not stamping on them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgfastback
I had a similar issue from new. 6 months and 4 visits to the dealer later i got new pads and solved it
Thanks for the letting me.know. I suspect this is what it may require. I fear I’m just starting out on that journey now....

Good to know it’s solved the issue. I’m just starting this journey. If the problem returns. Please let us know. Glad you got it resolved either way.

The car has a 5 year track warranty............................

My dealer warned me if I warp discs on track it would not be changed under warranty, but I still have warranty on my car, only thing is that I must not measure the time of the lap because than it is racing and I lose warranty of the car (offical measure on the track by transponder). But the car have lap timer soo :cool:

The reality is that the brakes on the Ns are designed for basic track use meaning ~3-5 hot laps before they and tyres start to go off. If you absolutely hammer them for 20-30 laps straight then they'll be operating outside their designed temperature range and will completely fail in a brown smoking mess.

The problem is that track use is track use and the only limits Hyundai impose (well in Australia anyway) is no competition events, i.e you're competing for a trophy or fastest time.

They have general exclusions for misuse and negligence so I'd say if after 5 laps you notice a strange smell and the brakes don't pull up as well but you kept going then they'd be within their rights to say that for calipers to go brown or pad material to chunk off it would be on you. Same if you don't cool the brakes down after coming off and/or put the handbrake on which will guarantee to leave deposits.

Reactions: GazmaN