• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N arriving this week :)

BillTheButcher

Nthusiast
Sep 9, 2019
UK
Very happy to be collecting the attached later this week. Over the last ten years, I've had an assortment of hot hatches and coupes with a few sports cars thrown in. Six months ago, circumstances put me in an Ioniq hybrid which proved to be a useful stepping stone to the N. Can't wait. :cool:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 84
Enjoy ( once run in of course). Mines at 4000m now and loosening up nicely.
whereabouts are you in the uk?
Still not seeing many around although someone very local has now got a Mgrey one on the drive. I must make time to speak to him/her.

Reactions: BillTheButcher
Thanks, all. :)

Enjoy ( once run in of course). Mines at 4000m now and loosening up nicely.
whereabouts are you in the uk?
Still not seeing many around although someone very local has now got a Mgrey one on the drive. I must make time to speak to him/her.
I'm in Oxfordshire.

Every car has a few issues I’ve found. My previous polo gti was a nightmare and went back after 6 months. Prior to that I had a porsche and that needed a few items dealing with, lovely car though.
stick with it, I’m sure easily fixed, how you finding it otherwise.

Every car has a few issues I’ve found. My previous polo gti was a nightmare and went back after 6 months. Prior to that I had a porsche and that needed a few items dealing with, lovely car though.
stick with it, I’m sure easily fixed, how you finding it otherwise.
Loving it so far. I'm only just out of the running-in period so I'll be able to stretch its legs a bit once it's been fixed. :)

Reactions: RGP69
It's been in to Hyundai today. They've just called to say that the noise is better after they greased the steering rack but it's still there. They're now ordering a new steering rack but that won't be in until the beginning of January.

Booked in on the 6th to have a new steering rack fitted. Although I've had (on-the-record) assurances from both the dealer that's doing the work and Hyundai UK that the car is perfectly safe to drive as it is, the knocking gets louder and starts sooner every time I drive the car; I'll be very glad to get it sorted.

Does anyone know if it's a revised rack that they're fitting to the cars with this issue?

Dropped the car off when the service department opened this morning. I've just chased them (they said by 15:00 today either the car would be ready or I'd have an update; neither of which happened). Apparently some of the bolts were seized so it's taken them longer than anticipated to get the rack out. I asked if these bolts had been removed when it was in just before Christmas. They were adamant that they haven't been touched since it left the factory.

Seized bolts on a five-week-old car? Does that seem feasible?

Dropped the car off when the service department opened this morning. I've just chased them (they said by 15:00 today either the car would be ready or I'd have an update; neither of which happened). Apparently some of the bolts were seized so it's taken them longer than anticipated to get the rack out. I asked if these bolts had been removed when it was in just before Christmas. They were adamant that they haven't been touched since it left the factory.

Seized bolts on a five-week-old car? Does that seem feasible?
depends when it was built and where it was stored tbh as most are not built to order they are sitting somewhere

depends when it was built and where it was stored tbh as most are not built to order they are sitting somewhere
That's what prompted my question. I asked the service department when I dropped the car off if it was just a like-for-like replacement of the existing rack (in which case it could just start creaking and knocking again) or if it was a revised part. They couldn't/wouldn't tell me.

The car was about halfway warmed up when I picked it up last night (they'd just been out testing it) and I couldn't hear any knocking. I'm reserving judgement until I've done a proper run in it but fingers crossed.

Reactions: BadShadd and GazmaN
I still haven't done any more than a few miles at a time since the new rack went in. I've got a few decent-length trips planned over the next few weeks so I can finally find out if this is fixed.

Reactions: Davo01