• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N Owners: Since buying, what did you learn?

The wheel changing tools are pants!

Can't wind the jack without using the spanner. Have to buy an after market attachment.

Also, no wheel nut unscrewing adapter. Have to use the brace all the time, so bought an adapter you normally use it with an air wheel gun

This right here is going to be very valuable info, unfortunate that someone found out the hard way but at least the rest of us can adapt now

Reactions: GazmaN
V happy with the car overall (which is due next friday back from the repairers after a deer decided to run out infront of me!) And after 10k miles, heres my annoyances:

- Bloody annoying loud "warning" when you go too close to somebody infront
- Bang/Skip because of the cold/low profile tires
- Seat creases on the leather outskirts
- Reversing camera can get dirty v easily

There are a lot more loves than "annoyances" however, including the rarity, beautiful noise, looks and usability!!

-That the back window in the Fastback N is large enough to see cars near behind me, but not large enough to see the ones that are far away. (could probably be solved by a lower seating position or by moving the rearview mirror down a bit, if possible)

-The back lights are a pain in the a$$ to get out to replace the indicators.

-Wheels tend to spin in 2nd up to 70kph...

Last edited:
I leant not to speed as every sport car that passes me want to race me total idiots it’s like come on and off we go total madness so I am behaving let me tell you this Hyundai Performance is more powerful that what is advertised this car is quick.

Reactions: My White “N”

Can't wind the jack without using the spanner. Have to buy an after market attachment.

Also, no wheel nut unscrewing adapter. Have to use the brace all the time, so bought an adapter you normally use it with an air wheel gun

Could you give any more information on this?

I have changed my wheels and also put mudflaps on the car while using the jack and other tools included in the boot, while it wasnt the best (see below) it still worked

One thing I have an issue with in regards to the jack, when the car goes up it seems to tilt the jack, you can notice this by jacking the car up (enough to fit a car stand, or a wheel of the car underneath) and then look at the top where the jack touches the car. (and the jack itself) will almost look like it is about to fall over.

When replacing a wheel I have always been taught to put a wheel under the car incase the car falls and damages the car along with there is no way to jack it up, although it feel like its more dangerous to jack the car up this high with the jack.

@BurntRice

Sorry , it was tricky to explain.

Lets compare to what i had before ( a VW set) to set the scene.

Before, the jack and winding handle are together, part of the same tool. When you place the jack into the foam holder, the handle is on its side, like your right arm next to your torso, say. The wheel nut brace is a separate item of course.

The Hyundai set however, the jack ( which i am ok with) is separated to the winding handle ( the rod with the hook), and annoyingly, i need the brace as well to wind the jack.

I tend to jack it up a little, loosen the nuts , then jack up it all the way, and then unscrew further until all the nuts are off.

As there is no other tools to removes the nuts ( VW had a screwdriver where the plastic handle had a female recess to to unscrew the nuts), i had to use the brace, back to the jack, then back to the nuts, then back to the jack.

with the VW tools, i used to jack up the car with my right hand and unscrew the nut with my left, after they were loosened.

The Hyundai brace and jack handle is awkward to use as well, so i bought one of these from ebay

s-l400.jpg

i guess i should stop moaning and get a cordless wheel gun!

Reactions: simmo777
@BurntRice

Sorry , it was tricky to explain.

Lets compare to what i had before ( a VW set) to set the scene.

Before, the jack and winding handle are together, part of the same tool. When you place the jack into the foam holder, the handle is on its side, like your right arm next to your torso, say. The wheel nut brace is a separate item of course.

The Hyundai set however, the jack ( which i am ok with) is separated to the winding handle ( the rod with the hook), and annoyingly, i need the brace as well to wind the jack.

I tend to jack it up a little, loosen the nuts , then jack up it all the way, and then unscrew further until all the nuts are off.

As there is no other tools to removes the nuts ( VW had a screwdriver where the plastic handle had a female recess to to unscrew the nuts), i had to use the brace, back to the jack, then back to the nuts, then back to the jack.

with the VW tools, i used to jack up the car with my right hand and unscrew the nut with my left, after they were loosened.

The Hyundai brace and jack handle is awkward to use as well, so i bought one of these from ebay

s-l400.jpg

i guess i should stop moaning and get a cordless wheel gun!
Or a trolley jack,then again it's a good excuse to justify buying another power tool

I leant not to speed as every sport car that passes me want to race me total idiots it’s like come on and off we go total madness so I am behaving let me tell you this Hyundai Performance is more powerful that what is advertised this car is quick.

The car is quick, very quick! But more powerful than advertised? No sorry, not true.

In the past three months, I have had the opportunity to drive a 2017 a45 amg and a 2016 bmw m235i, and had a brief meeting with an Audi rs3 sport back. All of these cars are considerably quicker than the N.

All autos, all way more power, and way more money. The N is a very good car for the money, but let’s not go overboard!

When you connect your iPhone via Apple CarPlay, the built in GPS sensor on your car override the one in your iPhone. So your location on every iPhone apps (e.g. harry's lap timer, world uncovered, fog of world, google/apple maps, waze, etc) are coming from the car, not from the GPS sensor of your iPhone.

Also, the GPS coordinates (not sure about the altitude) of the car does not solely rely on GPS signals. The car will pull the data from wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensors and many other sensors, and combine those data with actual GPS signals to manufacture the GPS position. Hence, you'll get your GPS position after you went into underground garage or long tunnels. Furthermore, you'll get more accurate and high resolution GPS signals, since GPS sensors on the car are located on the roof (which gives you better reception than any other position in the cabin) and those car units usually have 2+Hz resolution while GPS sensors on the phone is almost always 1Hz.

This is a pretty common feature among the Hyundai/Kia cars with Apple CarPlay support (although it can vary by regions/countries), but also a pretty rare feature for any cars from other manufacturers (even though they have all of those component including built-in GPS, Apple CarPlay support, built-in Navigation system, they usually do not manufacture the GPS position or push the data to your phone).

Have you got some more information or sources for this? I’d love to read some more about it.

Have you got some more information or sources for this? I’d love to read some more about it.
I do not have a source for that since that is entirely based on my observation. But I see them in action pretty much every time I hop up in any of my Hyundai/Kias and drive out, because, in my country, the majority of the people live in apartment, and the majority of apartment have underground parkings (i.e. no GPS signal), and that includes me. It moves around accordingly as I drive, even though there is zero chance of getting a GPS signal, since I usually park my cars on B3F (and this happens in every underground garages, tunnels, etc). I'm not sure 100% of Hyundai/Kia cars do that, but AFAIK most of recent, domestic(Korean) Hyundai/Kia models do that.

In case of overriding (via CarPlay), it's kinda hit or miss. On some Hyundai/Kias, the location in every apps (at least every apps I've tested) are overridden by the car (with its manufactured location), when you connect your iPhone via CarPlay. On some Hyundai/Kias, some apps are overridden while some apps aren't. JSN falls latter. Location on most apps are overridden when it's connected via CarPlay, but for some reason, Harry's LapTimer refuses to use the external location (which is not happened on my other Hyundai/Kia). So it shows Internal @ 1Hz, instead of External @ 2Hz, which is kinda annoying.

I don't have much to say about overseas model, but at least I can confirm that German PDE (i30 non N) with built-in GPS units do all of that. It manufacture the location and override the iPhone's location, tested at various tunnels and underground parkings in Germany and nearby countries.

I do not have a source for that since that is entirely based on my observation. But I see them in action pretty much every time I hop up in any of my Hyundai/Kias and drive out, because, in my country, the majority of the people live in apartment, and the majority of apartment have underground parkings (i.e. no GPS signal), and that includes me. It moves around accordingly as I drive, even though there is zero chance of getting a GPS signal, since I usually park my cars on B3F (and this happens in every underground garages, tunnels, etc). I'm not sure 100% of Hyundai/Kia cars do that, but AFAIK most of recent, domestic(Korean) Hyundai/Kia models do that.

In case of overriding (via CarPlay), it's kinda hit or miss. On some Hyundai/Kias, the location in every apps (at least every apps I've tested) are overridden by the car (with its manufactured location), when you connect your iPhone via CarPlay. On some Hyundai/Kias, some apps are overridden while some apps aren't. JSN falls latter. Location on most apps are overridden when it's connected via CarPlay, but for some reason, Harry's LapTimer refuses to use the external location (which is not happened on my other Hyundai/Kia). So it shows Internal @ 1Hz, instead of External @ 2Hz, which is kinda annoying.

I don't have much to say about overseas model, but at least I can confirm that German PDE (i30 non N) with built-in GPS units do all of that. It manufacture the location and override the iPhone's location, tested at various tunnels and underground parkings in Germany and nearby countries.

Very interesting, thanks for the detailed explanation. Looking forward to playing around with mine when I pick it up in a few days.

The car is quick, very quick! But more powerful than advertised? No sorry, not true.

In the past three months, I have had the opportunity to drive a 2017 a45 amg and a 2016 bmw m235i, and had a brief meeting with an Audi rs3 sport back. All of these cars are considerably quicker than the N.

All autos, all way more power, and way more money. The N is a very good car for the money, but let’s not go overboard!

You may want to specify „quick“.
If you’re talking about 0-100, 100-200 km/h than that’s true. However due to 4wd the AMG and Audi would probably still be faster on 0-100 even if they didn’t have much more power than the N.
If you want to talk about quickly going round a track, that point might be up to some discussion. The german car magazine „Sportauto“ drove the N round the Nürburgring in 8:20 min. The same driver took 8:18 min in a 320 hp M135i and 8:20 min in a 340 hp RS3 Sportback. I know, the current M140i & RS3 do have some more power, so there may be some faster lap times as well. But all in all, the N is definitely capable to take up some cars which are more powerful on paper but not „quicker“.

Reactions: Mr.Gobsy

Does the UK i30N comes with jack kit? Korean-spec JSN comes with a repair kit, thus no proper spare or spacesaver spare tire, jack, nothing.