• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N I30 Fastback N - issue with windshield mirror cap popping off

MatthewWhyment

Jun 27, 2019
Manchester
Hi,

I purchased my I30 fastback N back in March 2019. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the plastic clip on the mould that hides the rear view mirror electronics didn't fit properly.

I took it to my local dealership and they found it strange. They checked the test drive car and this had exactly the same issue.

They replaced the mould and the clip and everything was fine. However, shortly after the repair (3 weeks later), the clip became loose again. Does anyone else have the same issue? Some of you may not have noticed it with it being so minor. When I push the clip in, it instantly pops back out again. I would attach an image, however, the file is too large.

Last edited:
Hi,

I purchased my I30 fastback N back in March 2019. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the plastic clip on the mould that hides the rear view mirror electronics didn't fit properly.

I took it to my local dealership and they found it strange. They checked the test drive car and this had exactly the same issue.

They replaced the mould and the clip and everything was fine. However, shortly after the repair (3 weeks later), the clip became loose again. Does anyone else have the same issue? Some of you may not have noticed it with it being so minor. When I push the clip in, it instantly pops back out again. I would attach an image, however, the file is too large.
You could upload it anywhere else or convert it via image resizer.

https://resizeimage.net/ was the first google search result. Give it a try and maybe someone could help you :)

Kind regards

Reactions: GazmaN
Can you like, uhhhh.... slap it back in there? Maybe heat it up with a hair dryer and then bend it to fit?

I could, but I've not paid £30K to do a shoddy job on something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Also, it's already been repaired once by Hyundai so to me it seems like I might not be the only one having this issue

I just had my 1500km service (@2500kms) today and reported exactly the same issue as my access cover had been falling out from day 1 (gave up putting it back on after a while). My local dealer is ordering a new camera cover and access cover. Its on back order with a 6 week wait. By the sound of it this replacement wont fix the problem. Looks like there is a moulding issue with the camera cover and case.

I just had my 1500km service (@2500kms) today and reported exactly the same issue as my access cover had been falling out from day 1 (gave up putting it back on after a while). My local dealer is ordering a new camera cover and access cover. Its on back order with a 6 week wait. By the sound of it this replacement wont fix the problem. Looks like there is a moulding issue with the camera cover and case.

Glad I'm not the only one. I tried getting Hyundai to take the car back but they refused.

Mine was in the footwell when I got in my Fastback yesterday. Couldn't figure out where it had come from at first, then saw the gap on the windscreen. Have tried pushing it back in and it keeps popping out.

Reckon they only have a 3 month shelf life!

They say when all else fails, get a bigger hammer. By gosh this will do it whoo hoo!;)

In all seriousness, are there small hook tabs on the panel?

I think Nullo has a the right idea but use a paint stripping gun. They use more heat then a blow dryer. It will make the piece more pliable and easier to bend. Once you have it to the proper bend, dunk it in cold water to make it set in that position. Then reinstall it. You just have to free up the set in the plastic molding once.

You can also use pliable electrical tape on the tabs. It will make better contact when reinstalled.

Last edited:
Yes, also happens to mine. I suspect it might actually be a slight mis-placement of the clips affixed to the windscreen. They seem to pull the bigger cover too wide, meaning the little flap just pops back out. After some twisting and flexing it seems to be fixed for now. Otherwise I'll use a blob of Sugru.

Hi,

Yeah man that happen to mine haha, except the whole thing came loose on one side, apparently the clip wasn’t in properly, or it was put it in the wrong place at the time hence why it came loose, I haven’t had any issues with it since, this was maybe a few weeks back?

Hi,

I have the exact same problem which I noticed when I picked the car up. The sales guys tried to take a replacement cover from a new i30 N to replace it, but it didn't fit. I was just planning to get it sorted whenever I take the car into my local Hyundai dealer..

The best thing for you all to do is; report it to Hyundai Customer Service. They will funnel it back to production and correct the problem, then issue a TBS to replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Endeavour Hyundai (Watford) finally sorted this issue out for me few months back, without ordering any parts, so maybe there is a TSB for it? It doesn't look like it has been glued in, from what I can tell.