• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i20N - Reviews, Discussion, Info (Everything goes in here please)

Paolo5

Dec 28, 2020
Australia
Can anyone tell me:-
*if the new version of the turbo Gamma 11 engine has any changes to its GDI fuel injection to avoid carbon and sludge deposits forming on and around its inlet valves.... and
*is the manual gearbox that will be in this vehicle a new design or will it be one that has appeared in previous Hyundai or Kia vehicles?
Many thanks,
Paolo5

gdh300

Nov 3, 2020
North Hampshire
Nothing I've read Paolo suggests there is any supplementary port injection on this version of the Gamma II. Other naturally aspirated versions will feature MPI. Just guessing but the gearbox may be a variant of the one found in the KIA Ceed GT, or may be the press release talk of "... refined and reinforced especially..." means it's a beefed-up version of those in the lower powered i20s. Really I haven't found enough detailed spec on-line to say, unless someone has any inside information?

Reactions: Paolo5

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US

mikeo

Jan 4, 2020
SW Scotland
Be very interested to see one in the flesh. Though in my opinion, I think they could be very colour sensitive. Not sure about the blue (which I liked on the I30N), wonder if it's the sharp creases in the body work on the I20N? The silver looks nice, but the red skirt looks a little odd with this colour. Can't wait to see some proper driven / test reviews on UK roads.

Reactions: R Veloster N

Jepper

Jul 10, 2019
Danmark
I don't think it is nearly as bad as some (many actually) make it out to be. Actually in the beginning I really didn't like it as well but I have seen the ordinary (non-N) in real life and I didn't find it offensive at all. Also I'm more and more beginning to appreciate almost anything that is a bit out the ordinary on the roads. At least where I live almost everything looks much the same on the roads. Also maybe 80% or something like that is either white, black og silver. Boring. Give me something different please even if it might not please everybody's taste. I might go performance Blue (no black roof) just to try something different that really stand out.

Reactions: Bu11eT and BjoernV

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
I wonder if it would be possible for Hyundai to screw more power out of the Engine in the I20N, I had a Peugeot 308gti that had 266 bhp from a 1600cc, now imagine a I20N with that sort of power or they could have just found a way to fit the Engine from the I30N into it, a more practical car than the GR Yaris with similar performance that would surely have been a winner, another thing that gets me is why cant they bring out a much more powerful N? all the other manufacturers can get 300 bhp plus out of their two litre engines and in the case of Mercedes 415 in the A45s.

salemetal

Oct 18, 2019
Bjelovar
I wonder if it would be possible for Hyundai to screw more power out of the Engine in the I20N, I had a Peugeot 308gti that had 266 bhp from a 1600cc, now imagine a I20N with that sort of power or they could have just found a way to fit the Engine from the I30N into it, a more practical car than the GR Yaris with similar performance that would surely have been a winner, another thing that gets me is why cant they bring out a much more powerful N? all the other manufacturers can get 300 bhp plus out of their two litre engines and in the case of Mercedes 415 in the A45s.
I was also considering the 308 but couldn't get past an interior, small steering wheel and dials in the front.
Was it good, considering it's really lightweight with big power?

GazmaN

Staff member
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
I wonder if it would be possible for Hyundai to screw more power out of the Engine in the I20N, I had a Peugeot 308gti that had 266 bhp from a 1600cc, now imagine a I20N with that sort of power
With this I agree somewhat - seems a bit of a cop-out to just plant the ubiquitous 150kw 1.6 into it without just tweaking it up even a little bit. But they argue that sort of power is perfectly matched to the chassis, so...

why cant they bring out a much more powerful N? in the case of Mercedes 415 in the A45s.
Nobody is going to pay the sort of money it would cost to wrangle that sort of power out of a Hyundai for...a Hyundai. They'd have to put a Genesis badge on it and whack another $20k + on it.

Either way, it's all about cost mate. We're talking budget performance here and that's why I bought an N. And it's something different.

PowerLee

Dec 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I was also considering the 308 but couldn't get past an interior, small steering wheel and dials in the front.
Was it good, considering it's really lightweight with big power?
As a current 308 T9 owner, the small steering wheel with dials set up above is an excellent idea once you get used to it - you look over the top of the steering wheel at the road & the instruments are directly in your eyeline as well.

Mines only got the Puretech 130 bhp engine ( 230 Nm ) & if your foot is slightly heavy in the wet it just breaks traction, the dim witted ESP system is to slow to react with traction control, the front end just bobs up & down until traction is regained.

Even with Michelin Cross Climate + tyres on its far to easy to light up the front wheels in the wet.

The 308 GTI has a mechanical LSD plus the awful Alcon 4 pot front brake calipers that suffer from rusting pistons - there is an aftermarket stainless steel piston kit available & rebuild service available.

A few GTI owners have found out the hard way that replacing front discs & pads aint cheap at £1.6k - I do believe aftermarket discs & pads are now available but they still aint cheap.

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
With this I agree somewhat - seems a bit of a cop-out to just plant the ubiquitous 150kw 1.6 into it without just tweaking it up even a little bit. But they argue that sort of power is perfectly matched to the chassis, so...

Nobody is going to pay the sort of money it would cost to wrangle that sort of power out of a Hyundai for...a Hyundai. They'd have to put a Genesis badge on it and whack another $20k + on it.

Either way, it's all about cost mate. We're talking budget performance here and that's why I bought an N. And it's something different.
If somebody had told you people would be willing pay £33,000 ($$?) for a Yaris a year ago you would have laughed, I think with the same sort of performance people would be willing to pay for it, how much more they could charge before scaring people off I'm not sure. Why would it cost another $20,000? for £400 ($500) I or you could probably get our cars remapped to 300bhp, I'm sure the chassis and brakes are up to the job.

Reactions: mikeo

PowerLee

Dec 2, 2020
United Kingdom
The i20N is targeting the Fiesta ST market so the power output is spot on from Hyundai.

There is aftermarket tuning options for the Fiesta to extract more power from it but most buyers are happy with the ponies uncle Henry installs at the factory.

The Yaris GR is a money no object homologation special from Toyota, its in a class of its own for the vehicle size.

You cannot have the convenience & circuit packs on the same car, so that's a minus mark against me ordering a Yaris GR.

While the Yaris GR looks a impressive piece of kit, I couldn't see it as an everyday usable car like a Fiesta ST or i20N

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
The i20N is targeting the Fiesta ST market so the power output is spot on from Hyundai.

There is aftermarket tuning options for the Fiesta to extract more power from it but most buyers are happy with the ponies uncle Henry installs at the factory.

The Yaris GR is a money no object homologation special from Toyota, its in a class of its own for the vehicle size.

You cannot have the convenience & circuit packs on the same car, so that's a minus mark against me ordering a Yaris GR.

While the Yaris GR looks a impressive piece of kit, I couldn't see it as an everyday usable car like a Fiesta ST or i20N
I thought that for the average person the convenience pack makes more sense. sat nav, reverse camera, hud, and better sound system, if you regularly go to track meets then yes the circuit pack makes sense but be honest how many people driving on the average road really need front and rear LSDs etc, the standard Yaris is just as fast under nearly all conditions that the normal driver would need it's certainly the version I would choose.

Last edited:

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
The 308' s engine has been revised bij Peugeot Sport. It's got a fully forged bottom end and I think (not entirely sure) the bottom ends are built by hand.
Sure Hyundai could do the same, but I think the question is: who will be willing to pay for it.
The beancounters at Hyundai sure think not to many potential customers will, so I don't think it's gonna happen...

Reactions: pillred

gdh300

Nov 3, 2020
North Hampshire
The Yaris GR is by all accounts a very good bit of kit, but it's priced and specced well beyond the i20N. There were some very tempting offers on Toyota UK website, but sadly my better half has forbidden me from buying another three door car!

I'm sure as Tom has said, Hyundai will want to keep the power to around 204PS which they know the unit (in it's previous generation) has been reliable with.

I thought it was curious that on the press release that they said "...the all-new i20 N can also be equipped with the N Corner Carving Differential..." I've got the impression the Koreans don't really do individual options but rather have packs or simply different grades. If it is part of a pack, what else would be included? (An extra 35PS would be nice!). Or perhaps in the UK, it will be included in the one-and-only spec, a low specced version being likely to go the way of the lower powered i30N....

Reactions: BjoernV and pillred