• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i20N Project Car

Ok! Driving the car a couple of weeks now with OZ 8J18 40ET wheels and Bridgestone Potenza Sport 225/40/18 I have noticed something weird that winter wheels and tires never experienced

On full steering lock left or right, low speed, when maneuvering the car around the garage for example, the external front wheel / tire seem like is understeering slightly. Had exactly the same issue on 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport with Michelin Pilot Cup tires

Maybe the mechanical tire grip is way too much for the LSD? Possibly ...

Other than that these tires are SUPER sticky when warmed-up :)
hey Steve, could you think it may be possible that 8j with ET40 maybe too much for the scrub radius and makes the car understeer slighty at low speeds? Have you try to enter high or slow turns with high speed just to see if the behaviour has changed from neutral to understerr?

hey Steve, could you think it may be possible that 8j with ET40 maybe too much for the scrub radius and makes the car understeer slighty at low speeds? Have you try to enter high or slow turns with high speed just to see if the behaviour has changed from neutral to understerr?
High or low speed the front wheels are ok! Only low or very low speed I have noticed the issue

Have you got a picture that shows the location of the BOV in the engine bay?

I'm debating putting one on but know little to nothing about the location of anything and am completely new to modding.

Reactions: stEVOx101
Since the last week voice guidance and recognition has not been working on the i20N ...

So I check here and there and found out that downloading the latest update (May 2022) for maps and ICE f/w solved the issue ...

It took about 1h to download, using the special Windows downloader, copy to a USB (32GB min, exFAT) and then about another 35 - 40 mins to upgrade the car via the USB ...

Weird :cool:

Another interesting notice following a trip during summer vacations in Italy ...

Speeds were normal 120 to 130 km/h within the road speed limit ...

I have tested on Sport mode to fully accelerate and up to 160 km/h acceleration was pretty good ... As I kept the full throttle the engine started to rev more aggressively, 6th gear and seemed like the higher the revs the engine performed better ... I stopped at 180 km/h since the car seemed to have a lot more to deliver in terms of power

The only changes are N free flow filter, cat-back free flow exhaust and GFB valve, no re-mapping or anything else but it seems like ECU is quite compatible

Last edited:
Another interesting notice following a trip during summer vacations in Italy ...

Speed were normal 120 to 130 km/h within the road speed limit ...

I have tested on Sport mode to fully accelerate and up to 160 km/h acceleration was pretty good ... As I kept the full throttle the engine started to rev more aggressively, 6th gear and seemed like the higher the revs the engine performed better ... I stopped at 180 km/h since the car seemed to have a lot more to deliver in terms of power

The only changes are N free flow filter, cat-back free flow exhaust and GFB valve, no re-mapping or anything else but it seems like ECU is quite compatible
Yea these cars live for the higher revs. Thats where they come alive.
Its weird as most cars like to be in the mid range, but these i20's are best right up high in the rev range.

With my son we drove from Swizterland to Spa Francochamps for the F1 GP, 600Km each way

So he had the opportunity to stress the engine under N-mode, both on autobahn and b-roads around Stavelot and other small villages (of course within the speed limits) ...

The car using 98RON or 100RON with the free-flow exhaust is just WRC-sounding!!! Lots of torque as revs go up, lots of linear power. This engine loves revving!

Each gear change on full-throttle above 6.000rpm is just from another planet, pure rallying. I think you can hear the car from a Km away or more. I am not even discussing about down-shifts ... WAR

I would recommend for those willing to have road-WRC car to just build a custom free-flow exhaust system including the spiral section, GPF-delete and free flow back box, easy to move the exhaust pipe and valve on the new system (this is what we did)

Reactions: dmeg_ni and Tsints
I have finally decided ... after long long toughts ... to purchase the Racechip GTS box

https://www.racechip.com/shop/hyundai/i20-bc3-from-2020/1-6-t-gdi-n-1591ccm-204hp-150kw-275nm.html

599CHF, including 2-year engine warranty, didnt opt for the App since I dont think is so necessary, you can actually change the modes using the buttons on the box

A bit strange, since in Switzerland they offer the two year warranty (I have received an email, upon delivery of the box I have to register car and box to get it activated)

On the other hand some guys in Greece ordered the box from Racechip, but they do not get the warranty ...

I will hopefully install next weekend and check the differences ...

Reactions: i20n_AZR
I have finally decided ... after long long toughts ... to purchase the Racechip GTS box

https://www.racechip.com/shop/hyundai/i20-bc3-from-2020/1-6-t-gdi-n-1591ccm-204hp-150kw-275nm.html

599CHF, including 2-year engine warranty, didnt opt for the App since I dont think is so necessary, you can actually change the modes using the buttons on the box

A bit strange, since in Switzerland they offer the two year warranty (I have received an email, upon delivery of the box I have to register car and box to get it activated)

On the other hand some guys in Greece ordered the box from Racechip, but they do not get the warranty ...

I will hopefully install next weekend and check the differences ...
How does the warranty work? Its almost an admission that installing this box will invalidate your manufacturers engine warranty but dont worry we'll warranty it instead for an X period of years?

How does the warranty work? Its almost an admission that installing this box will invalidate your manufacturers engine warranty but dont worry we'll warranty it instead for an X period of years?
It's a bit strange I would say

I heard from a source in Greece that for example in Germany the Hyundai importer allows Racechip to be installed, a bit weird

But in general I think, yes, they just warranty your engine for 2 years up to 5.000€

Last edited:
It's a bit strange I would say

I heard from a source in Greece that for example in Germany the Hyundai importer allows Racechip to be installed, a bit weird

But in general I think, yes, they just warranty your engine for 2 years up to 5.000km
Sounds good I’ve ordered the DTUK tuning box hope it’s just as good

Reactions: SteveDek
Just finished installing Recechip GTS ... A few photos ... And the proper check list for installation :)

i20N Racechip 4.jpgi20N Racechip 3.jpgi20N Racechip 2.jpgi20N Racechip 1.jpg

Installation
Open bonnet
Bluelink app (bonnet open)
Manually lock the bonnet *needs a lot of pressure with a tool since the spring is quite stiff
Bluelink app (bonnet closed)
Lock car
Keep remote control 15m away
Wait 20mins
Install harness A B C *press the grey lever to unlock connectors and the push or pull with both hands steadily, the are a bit stiff to be released
Connect box
Panel should not illuminate
Unlock car
Release bonnet
Push start button (ACC)
Wait for checks to be done
Box panel to be illuminated Map-5
Start engine
Bluelink app (all statuses)
Check idle and revving
Stop engine
Secure harness & box *check photos
Close bonnet
Test the car

Reactions: stEVOx101
Just finished installing Recechip GTS ... A few photos ... And the proper check list for installation :)

View attachment 20882View attachment 20883View attachment 20884View attachment 20885

Installation
Open bonnet
Manually lock the bonnet *needs a lot of pressure with a tool since the spring is quite stiff
Bluelink app (bonnet closed)
Lock car
Keep remote control 15m away
Wait 20mins
Install harness A B C *press the grey lever to unlock connectors and the push or pull with both hands steadily, the are a bit stiff to be released
Connect box
Panel should not illuminate
Unlock car
Release bonnet
Push start button (ACC)
Wait for checks to be done
Box panel to be illuminated Map-5
Start engine
Check idle and revving
Stop engine
Secure harness & box *check photos
Close bonnet
Test the car
Hello..
My English is a bit poor, but I'll try :D
First of all, congratulations on the car, I've been using it for about 1 year, it's really great. I have two thoughts and one question... My first thought is that the performance decals on the back and sides are a bit much. Second, I also wanted to install the racechip gts version, but they talked me out of it because it voids the warranty. It does not rewrite the ECU, but a more skilled engineer will see the outliers. It's not worth that much. However, after 5 years I will also install it. It adds 31 horsepower and 85 torque. This is about half a second of acceleration from 0-100. My question is that the launch control says "launch control conditions not met" I turned off the ESP but I can't activate it. What is the way..? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hello..
First of all, congratulations on the car, I've been using it for about 1 year, it's really great. I have two thoughts and one question... My first thought is that the performance decals on the back and sides are a bit much. Second, I also wanted to install the racechip gts version, but they talked me out of it because it voids the warranty. It does not rewrite the ECU, but a more skilled engineer will see the outliers. It's not worth that much. However, after 5 years I will also install it. It adds 31 horsepower and 85 torque. This is about half a second of acceleration from 0-100. My question is that the launch control says "launch control conditions not met" I turned off the ESP but I can't activate it. What is the way..? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Hi @waterwave frankly speaking any modification voids the warranty. Racechip just send me confirmation on the warranty the cover up to two years and 5.000€ ... The stickers was the choice of my son ... Although he is driving our 208 GTi he also has a saying on the i20N :)

I have never used the LC up to day ... So I dont know how to disable this message

Hello..
For LC you have to have all windows closed, doors closed, car has to be hot, you have to be in neutral, the car cannot move even 1 cm (downhill or uphill) and it should activate, check the manual the full checlist is there

Reactions: GazmaN
For LC you have to have all windows closed, doors closed, car has to be hot, you have to be in neutral, the car cannot move even 1 cm (downhill or uphill) and it should activate, check the manual the full checlist is there

It works with open windows as well.

Reactions: rodxd