• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

I choose engine oil with a viscosity:

• Total voters

Touge

Nthusiast
Jun 24, 2021
Poland
Hi.

What is your opinion on the manufacturer's recommended oil viscosity grade 0w20? For example, for the i30N, it still recommends 0w30. Are you going to stick to the instructions or will you change to 0w30, for example? I invite you to a cultural discussion.

This is a severe duty car if driven like it was intended. This equates to 5W30 or more depending upon where and how it's being utilized. The choice of oil brand is owner and manufacturer specific.

Personally, I won't put OW anything in the car. It doesn't provide the necessary film on internal part at startup.

Reactions: GazmaN
I am surprised that 5w30 is the leader of the poll so far. So not only me think that the 0w20 viscosity is not optimal for a car engine that is not gently used.

0w20, is water and has no startup viscosity or long term benefits except in very cold climates. 0w30 is the dealership norm and 5w30 is what is considered one the best for this engine.

If any dealership service is utilizing a synthetic blend 0w20, it's because they're cheap and don't want to spend the extra for better grades of oil.

The manufacturer Kia (Hyundai twin) recommends for Proceed GT with exactly the same engine as the i20N have 5w30 oil.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. They are responsible for designing, testing, and warranting the engine.

Personally, I won't put OW anything in the car. It doesn't provide the necessary film on internal part at startup.
I'm sorry but this is completely false. 0W provides the best lubrication on startup. All oil is too thick at startup. Therefore the thinner the better.

Reactions: Yeongbae and Jajodu
0w or 5w oils should be fine in most climates. Though I think that 0w30 or 5w30 should be fine depending on the outside/oil temps and on how hard the car gets driven.

Most important though is the ACEA viscosity. Saw some LiquiMoly Porsche-specific 0w20 oil with ACEA C4 index, so really good shear viscosity and such.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. They are responsible for designing, testing, and warranting the engine.

I'm sorry but this is completely false. 0W provides the best lubrication on startup. All oil is too thick at startup. Therefore the thinner the better.
Where's your proof. Saying it's completely false, is not relevant without justification or relevant factual information. OW viscosity oil

The the information regarding oil viscosity and lubricity is readily available on the internet. I suggest you take the time to read about it. Then provide any factual discussion in lue of it.:)👍
The difference between 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 is the temperature at which they work best, the answer depends on where you live and what the climate is.
The low temperature viscosity of the oil is a measurement that simulates starting a car on a cold winter day. That value has the letter “W” after the number and has a dash after the W. For example, if the oil is a 5W-30, the 5W part describes the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the faster the oil will flow at vehicle start up.

The high temperature viscosity is the number after the dash and is related to the viscosity of the oil as it is moving around your engine after the car has warmed up and is at normal engine temperature. In the 5W-30 example, the 30 defines the viscosity of the oil at normal engine temperatures. Again, the lower the number, the lower the viscosity of the oil and the faster the oil will move around the engine.

As an example, let’s compare 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils. A 5W-20 and 5W-30 will have very similar if not equal viscosity at lower startup temperatures.
This ^ is just one such article.
0W provides little anti-corrosion, thermal break down properties and oil film protection for internal parts, especially after shutdown and sitting overnight, in comparison to a 5w30 or above. This is especially true for engine that idle or are used in slower traffic.

Manufactures recommend specific multi-grade oils, as this is what they're purchase and are tested with. Doesn't mean there isn't better oil available. Hyundai specifies a multi-grade synthetic blend not synthetic for the 2.0T Theta II engine, that is used in the VN and i30N. There are far better oils available than what Hyundai specifies.
Film Strength
Film strength can be described as the lubricant’s ability to lessen the effects of friction and control wear by means other than the film thickness. As mentioned, the viscosity is the primary contributor to film thickness during hydrodynamic and elastohydrodynamic lubrication.
viscosity-grade-chart-1024x768.jpg

This website will help educate you regarding oil viscosity, use and protection;
The lighter base oils in the 10w40 won’t offer as much engine protection/film strength as the heavier components in the 15w40 and moving to the slightly lower viscosity 10w40 won’t give a noticeable gain in hp
This just touches the surface and there's considerably more available.

I don't run 0w anything based upon multitudes of research and for the longevity of the engine.

Last edited:
I don't run 0w anything based upon multitudes of research and for the longevity of the engine.

I read each and every website you provided and I didn't really find anything that directs to your bottom line conclusion.

Yes, in a hot weather climate you don't need a 0w-X oil because the majority of the 'cold' starts will not be really cold but this doesn't automatically concludes that a lower viscosity grade doesn't protect the engine.

From the page you provided from Castrol :
" In the past, it was common for vehicles to require higher viscosity oils such as 20W-50’s, 10W-40’s and 10W-30’s. But as engine technology has advanced over the years, the size of engines and pathways in engine that oil flows through have gotten smaller and thinner. This has led over time to motor oil viscosity decreasing – currently 5W-30 and 5W-20 are the most popular grade and 0W-20 is the fastest growing grade. These lower viscosity motor oils are needed to move through the thin engine pathways to protect and clean metal surfaces. Lower viscosity motor oils also result in better fuel economy"

The difference between 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 is the temperature at which they work best, the answer depends on where you live and what the climate is.

Not completely accurate. If by climate we are talking about the difference between polar and dessert temperatures then yes, it's valid statement but the real difference between those oils is their kinematic viscosity at 40oC and at 100oC.
Everything else around the difference between those oils is in the spec sheet of each individual oil.
A 0w-X and 5w-X are almost identical in most cases (unless living in places with extreme cold) and when the engine is reaching it's operational temperatures, both oils behave like the 'X' number and not the first one. I can't understand how that is connected to anticorrosion, thermal breakdown or film protection as none of those is related to the grade or even the oil itself. All those properties are achieved by additives and not the oil itself.

But for the sake of the argument, if we are debating that 0w-20 is bad and 5w-30 is good, then why not using 20w50 instead ? it should be 'liquid gold' for the engines.
For the ones that might not be familiar, if we go back 20, 30 , 40 years , the recommended oils were 10w40 or 20w50. We are still on the same planet, same countries with the same temperatures (more or less). So why the 20w50 oil was replaced by 10w40 and then by the 5w30 ? isn't this because of both engine and oil technology advances ?

Complete accurate! That's what it talks about climate. Climate, has a great deal to do with the type of viscosity. 0w does not provide the same protection at startup, lubricity, film strength or protection as 5w.
So why the 20w50 oil was replaced by 10w40 and then by the 5w30 ? isn't this because of both engine and oil technology advances ?
Tolerance of newer engines are the other reason and al the engine wears and tolerances increase additional protection is needed. Pretty simple actually. Most all of the articles I posted including many more specific this as one of the reasons.
isn't this because of both engine and oil technology advances ?/QUOTE] Not really. Synthetic, ester, and mineral bases are the same as they were used 30 years ago. Not much has changed. There have been no great advances in motor oils or fuel over the past 3 decades even synthetic. Additives yes, bases of oil and fuel not so much.

Now that I'm thinking about it I probably would not recommend running anything other than 0w20 or perhaps 5w20.

Unlike older 1.6T engines the one in the i20N is based off the new Smartstream platform of engines. What that means exactly is that the engine has mechanical CVVD - so much more complexity. The problem with that is that this system relies on the correct oil pressure to properly adjust valve duration.

Maybe just stick to some high-spec 0w20 oil with ACEA C4 rating.

Reactions: DeeCee
I was also very surprised. Well, there is nothing else but to change the oil twice a year and use the highest quality product such as Red Line Motor Oil 0w20 or Amsoil 0W20 Signature Series.

@R Veloster N Excuse me but nothing you said supports your opinion. Winter grade of oil means only how viscous it is at start up. The lesser number the better. After heating up oil will always be less viscous and that’s the whole point. You let engine warm up before driving hard because oil is too thick.

I don’t see absolutely no reason for going with 5W. Also most of us are driving on 0W30, including track days, and nothing is happening

I'm not concerned rather you use with 0w or 5W. in the i30N. There is no debate in this. I've provided more than information above. You're able to read as well as anyone else. You have your opinion and I've provided the information. Additionally, we are well past this discussion for the i20N, not the i30N which is what you are driving, not an i20N, nuff said!:)👍

Last edited:
I don't undestand. Most of the discussion was about winter viscosity. Which source exactly states that thicker oil is better at startup? What you are saying is wrong even on the most basic level :/

I20N OIL DISCUSSION THREAD
The minor controversy was regarding the i20N and the Smart Stream 1.6T engine. It's a completely different engine than the 2.0T Theta II used in the VN and i30N. There's obviously a difference due to the construction and configuration of the engine. So it's restricted to an 0w20 oil.

What you do with your i30N is up to you. Maybe read the provided information listed in post #8. There's quite a bit of information to digest but I have my personal reason based partly on this information and more regarding the use of 0w anything. This is not an oil debate, which generally comes more so down to subjectivity, then factual information.

Last edited: