• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

I custom cut a new grill for my VN

This took a LOT of work but came out looking good. It was no where near as easy as the first gen Veloster since the grill insert, at least the N, doesn't come off the bumper very easily. It seems that you can remove the grill insert but with some real issues. For starters the tabs that hold the grill insert in are incredibly brittle, the one I tried to get off snapped off with very little force. I'm pretty sure they aren't meant to be removed and reinserted. I think they are meant to be broken off and when replaced the new grill insert has the new clips which self secure. Secondly the grill insert is actually riveted to the nose of the bumper. If you really wanted to remove the insert you'd have to drill out the rivets and replace them if you could successfully remove the insert without destroying the tabs. Basically it was a no go getting the insert away from the bumper.

So I had to do this while the grill was still on the bumper. I cut out the grill with a Dremel then had to clean up the cuts because the honeycomb leaves uneven "tabs" around the grill insert. Had to measure out 3/16th of an inch from the front of the grill lip and cut it down so the backside was flush with the connection points. Then I sanded the whole thing down to as smooth and even as I could. Still going to repaint the lip so that it's the same dark gloss as before.

Then had to cut the mesh down to fit the grill opening. I could only leave about 1/2 in around to make sure it would fill the grill opening without gaps. It's a very tight fit so there was little room for error. On top of that because there is something like 20+ connection tabs I had to cut the mesh so that the tabs would poke through and sit flat.

Finally I just bonded it with automotive GOOP and just sat some heavy books on the mesh to keep it as flat and flush to the grill insert as I could. I reordered a new N badge that I might put back on the grill but I do kind of like the look without it so I'm just going see how I feel once it comes in.

Another thing to note is that my IATs are much much better with this grill. Before while cruising 60-70mph with the old grill, ambient temp around here are between 32-38C right now, I was anywhere from 25-40% over ambient depending on the conditions. With the new grill, which is 91% open compared to the old grills roughly 35-40% open, I'm about 15-30% over ambient while cruising. That was pleasantly surprising as I didn't think it would lower it that much.

It turned out pretty good but this took me 4 days of planning and work. I don't know if I would do it again knowing all this now, but I probably would simply for the lower IATs. It really took a lot of work, it was not in anyway easy.
IMG_20190622_205228.jpg IMG_20190625_165920.jpg IMG_20190625_165940.jpg IMG_20190626_130600.jpg IMG_20190626_130859.jpg IMG_20190626_130907.jpg IMG_20190626_103336.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, but even if it didn't 100% worth the reduction in IAT. It's actually crazy how open air it looks by changing the grill material. Did you consider cutting in an eyelet or opening for the tow hook as well? not sure how it would be best done but having access to it may be beneficial.

I would almost consider giving a similar treatment to the fake vent spots on either side as well.

Looks great, but even if it didn't 100% worth the reduction in IAT. It's actually crazy how open air it looks by changing the grill material. Did you consider cutting in an eyelet or opening for the tow hook as well? not sure how it would be best done but having access to it may be beneficial.

I would almost consider giving a similar treatment to the fake vent spots on either side as well.
Yeah the increased air flow was what I was really hoping for. Behind the grill they have these air channels that force the air into the intercooler and radiator but doesn't let any air move around the sides. With this grill it opened up the sides and now it just blows all that hot air right out. Made a bigger difference than I thought it would.

I wasn't thinking about the tow hook when I started but did think about it when I was almost done haha. I mentioned it to my dad who was helping and said it could be done pretty easily with a hole saw and a circular grommet. It's really light weight aluminum and cutting it was pretty easy. It can certainly be done.

The fake vents are actually what I'm going to try next because I'd like to use them to help channel the air to the intake once I replace it. They will be 100x easier because they can be removed and then just have to cut the back off and just mold the mesh around sides. I bought a 24x48in sheet so I've got plenty of scrap to do those.

Yeah the increased air flow was what I was really hoping for. Behind the grill they have these air channels that force the air into the intercooler and radiator but doesn't let any air move around the sides. With this grill it opened up the sides and now it just blows all that hot air right out. Made a bigger difference than I thought it would.
I wonder if this will increase drag at all, might notice a couple mph reduction in top speed, but maybe the lower IAT's will make an extra few HP and you will break even.

I really like the look, but you should do something about the silver accent in the front bumper. I just dipped mine and think it improves the look greatly.

R Veloster N

Doubtful, as aerodynamics of the are not really affected by the flow from the front into the engine compartment.

As in all such airfoil measurements, flow is measured level at the nose of the hood, not below the front airdam. Either way, I'd sacrifice a mph for increased air flow into the engine compartment and lower IAT's anyday.

By the way, his grill looks great just the way it is.

R Veloster N

I'll do this once. What you posted, demonstrates nothing.

Low pressure (slower moving air) goes under the car. Most all of the high pressure air goes over the car and follows the body shape. The side skirts keep high pressure from rushing down around the car disturbing the low pressure air, which the N, is equipped with.

The boundary layer air, (on top of the hood) does nothing to the high pressure flow. The rear wing is directly in line with the faster moving ,( high pressure air) which creates drag and downforce. Nuff said!:)

Last edited:
I wonder if this will increase drag at all, might notice a couple mph reduction in top speed, but maybe the lower IAT's will make an extra few HP and you will break even.

I really like the look, but you should do something about the silver accent in the front bumper. I just dipped mine and think it improves the look greatly.
If it adds any drag it's not much and I would certainly take the lower IATs over a little more drag.

Did you dip it black? I'd like to see what you did if you could post a pic. I've been trying to decide what to do with it. I don't like it that much and road rocks are just destroying it. It looks like the surface of the moon right now.

I'll do this once. What you posted, demonstrates nothing.

Low pressure (slower moving air) goes under the car. Most all of the high pressure air goes over the car and follows the body shape. The side skirts keep high pressure from rushing down around the car disturbing the low pressure air, which the N, is equipped with.

The boundary layer air, (on top of the hood) does nothing to the high pressure flow. The rear wing is directly in line with the faster moving ,( high pressure air) which creates drag and downforce. Nuff said!:)

Other way round. Air pressure is the inverse of velocity so faster moving air is at lower pressure. I doubt the change in grill will have any effect on top speed as there is no change in frontal area unless it redirects the air over the rest of the car somehow.