• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Hyundai told me they don't use break in oil, thoughts?

Esoterikk

Nthusiast
Oct 10, 2020
Canada
Bought my 2021 in winter, lots of salt on the road so it was towed to the vinyl wrap shop to be stored before he wrapped it in the spring. I got the car back in spring with 9km and Hyundai phoned me and told me that I needed an oil change every 6 months. I told them the car had 9km and they said they would get back to me. They apparently contacted Hyundai Canada and were told if I didn't do the 6 month service my warranty would be void so I had Motul 5w30 put in at the tuning shop in town (the dealer said they would just use regular synthetic/non break in oil so I got oil I like put in myself)

I proceeded to contact multiple dealers and hyundai canada and was told they do not use special break in oil and that I should be fine. I just want to confirm this because I've seen some people talking about break in oil on the forums and I fear I may have been forced to damage my break in period with a premature oil change.

As per the other forum; No break in oil is used by Hyundai, it's 0w30 viscosity synthetic blend oil. You have to ask for fully synthetic at the time of the oil change.

As far as oil changes are concerned; As long as you are utilizing the correct specification and viscosity oil, have written record of the changes as per the warranty requirements, you're fine. Hyundai doesn't have a monopoly on oil changes or servicing. Just make sure it's documented in writing, where you can show them it's been accomplished as per warranty requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crocoman
... a premature oil change.
It's not a premature oil change because it is required at 6 months. It does seem silly, but is a requirement of maintaining the warranty, which is your choice.
My wife only does 2,500 miles a year, but still has to get her car serviced annually, a very similar situation.
If the garage wasn't making money on the service and consumables the price of the car would be higher.

Reactions: R Veloster N
It's not a premature oil change because it is required at 6 months. It does seem silly, but is a requirement of maintaining the warranty, which is your choice.
My wife only does 2,500 miles a year, but still has to get her car serviced annually, a very similar situation.
If the garage wasn't making money on the service and consumables the price of the car would be higher.

Adding to that, if you have a look into the owner's manual under the maintenance schedule, there's 'normal' and 'extreme' driving conditions. Oil change every 6 months or half the usual number of KM/Miles is required if you have short drives , if you have extensive engine idling ( sitting in traffic) , heavy city traffic in high temperatures etc.
Also oil once unsealed i.e. getting it into the engine gets contaminated by moisture (especially in warm/humid climates) , so the less you drive to warm it up and remove that moist, the faster loses it's abilities.

Long story short, if they asked you for an oil change every 6 months , you should follow to make sure you don't void warranty terms , plus it's only a benefit for your engine's health.

Reactions: R Veloster N
I took my catalytic converter out a long time ago so I been GUNG HO with ZDDP and I run 15w-40 diesel engine oil THOUGH it is rated both API-CK/SN lol. I'm on that raceboi rhythm

Does t need break-in oil. Clearances are much tighter and they use a synthetic blend Unless you ask hem for fully synthetic. You need to upgrade your engines oil if you're, pushing the car regularly.

Do not use Diesel engine oil in this car. Try some Amsoil premium grade oil.😃👍🇺🇸

Reactions: Wildsev