• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: Speed Camera Warnings

Rotorhead500

Aug 16, 2018
Devon
Set this up at the weekend, tried it today on way to gym - worked well, over Bluetooth.

On way home, decided to not work at all! :mad:

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
Note the requirement to visit the dealer. I believe that it is 10 years cover, but only annual updates, note the lack of i30 in the vehicle list.

Once again, it appears that the technology exists, is available to Hyundai, might even be in the i30N, but is not made available to UK owners o_O I would love to be proved wrong.
About the MapCare stuff, my dealership ensured me that map updates are free for lifetime, until AFTER 10 YEARS OF PRODUCTION STOP OF THE CAR (say, if production of the i30 in any form was to stop, up to 10 years after that you'd be guaranteed to receive map updates)

Reactions: speedking

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
Set this up at the weekend, tried it today on way to gym - worked well, over Bluetooth.

On way home, decided to not work at all! :mad:
That's because it "deletes" the speed camera locations and traffic etc. after every shutdown to comply with EU laws, I think (that you're not permitted to save speed camera data). What I did to prevent this is, I got myself a small battery LTE-WiFi modem for my car which is plugged into my power socket with an additional sim card (so I don't have to activate/deactivate hotspot every time) which makes so my car has a personal hotspot. Those things cost around 50€-70€ IIRC (worth the money, in my opinion). Sadly my Fastback N doesn't have a power outlet in the middle console anymore, which was quite useful on my "old" i30 because I could keep the modem there and charged at all times.

Rotorhead500

Aug 16, 2018
Devon
Not sure I can be bothered with that. IIRC, there was an option on my phone to time-out the Hotspot if no tethered devices were in range... May uncheck and see what gives.

Although, now I think about it, I didn't activate the Hotspot before I left anyway! :confused:

Rotorhead500

Aug 16, 2018
Devon
Bluetooth always on, but not heard of that App!

Daft question, but does it transfer the data via BT, or simply use the BT connection to the car to determine when to switch on the Hotspot???

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
About the MapCare stuff, my dealership ensured me that map updates are free for lifetime, until AFTER 10 YEARS OF PRODUCTION STOP OF THE CAR (say, if production of the i30 in any form was to stop, up to 10 years after that you'd be guaranteed to receive map updates)
That does appear to be backed up by the website, but why isn't the i30 listed?

heast

Oct 23, 2018
austria
Bluetooth always on, but not heard of that App!

Daft question, but does it transfer the data via BT, or simply use the BT connection to the car to determine when to switch on the Hotspot???
bt needs to be on to trigger the wifi hotspot automaticly, so the car connects then via wifi to the smartphone and uses the internet connection.

Reactions: Rotorhead500

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
That's because it "deletes" the speed camera locations and traffic etc. after every shutdown to comply with EU laws, I think (that you're not permitted to save speed camera data).
But TomTom devices hold a speedcamera database (for the whole of Europe) and they even charge a subscription for maintaining it. That certainly doesn't get deleted every journey.

Rotorhead500

Aug 16, 2018
Devon
Well I'm confused!

Set phone Hotspot to Always On last night, car already paired up.

Went to gym this eve, camera positions pop up without doing anything, other than getting in car and setting off.

2hrs later, get in car to go home..... nothing... nowt... zilch... diddly squat!

Park up at home and check connections and it doesn't even see my phone. Most odd.

But now I know it's hit & miss, it won't get used - hate unreliable guff! :(

jeroenvde

Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
This is my solition, it works like a charm!
I had to root my phone for this but its totally worth it.

Download tasker from the app store.

My bluetooth is always ON on my smartphone.
As soon as I get in the car, my phone connects to my i30N's bluetooth.
This event (based on my car his bluetooth adress) triggers all following actions:

1. Mobile data on (4G)
2. Wifi hotspot on
3. Show a popup when complete

Works perfect.

Now when i leave my car, bluetooth connection is lost and hotspot is turned off.

Screenshot_20190205-193544_Tasker.pngScreenshot_20190205-193554_Tasker.pngScreenshot_20190205-193604_Tasker.pngScreenshot_20190205-193623_Tasker.png

Very cool app! The possibilities are endless really...

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com

This event (based on my car his bluetooth adress) triggers all following actions:

1. Mobile data on (4G)
2. Wifi hotspot on

Works perfect.

Now when i leave my car, bluetooth connection is lost and hotspot is turned off.

View attachment 5368View attachment 5369View attachment 5370View attachment 5371

Except youre using Android 8 or 9. With rooted phones there are no problems. For higher stock Android versions you have to download a toggle plugin for example. Did it the same way as you a few weeks ago, worked fine. The only Problem was the mobile data, which has no permisson to change with my phone.

Reactions: jeroenvde

jeroenvde

Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
Except youre using Android 8 or 9. With rooted phones there are no problems. For higher stock Android versions you have to download a toggle plugin for example. Did it the same way as you a few weeks ago, worked fine. The only Problem was the mobile data, which has no permisson to change with my phone.
Yes, i use lineageos. This is a modified android 8. I rooted my phone for that same specific reason, mobile data on/off

Reactions: padigree

Bradley

Apr 7, 2018
united kingom

1. Mobile data on (4G)
2. Wifi hotspot on

Works perfect.

View attachment 5368View attachment 5369View attachment 5370View attachment 5371

Been meaning to make a guide for this but ya beat me to it haha. Works flawlessly doesn't it.

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Yes, i use lineageos. This is a modified android 8. I rooted my phone for that same specific reason, mobile data on/off
Have had every phone rooted since many years, all time cyanogenmod, after some lineageos, but my mi8 runs that smooth with muiu10 :D when I bought it, there was no version of lineageos :( maybe in a few months :D

For those who have problems with enabling and disabling Hotspot there is something called toggle / tasker tethering control. Once installed this plugin, this should work.

BTW no problem for me, my mobile data are permanently on :)