• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: Speed Camera Warnings

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Since my attempt to display offline POIs with the coordinates of German speed cameras on the map did not work, I am going to use the online feature of TomTom Live Services, which is included in MapCare.

These are the options available when your radio is not connected to the internet:
Settings -> Navigation Settings -> Navigation
As you can see, there isn't any option to activate the camera alert feature.

3.jpg

Connect to a wifi network or create a mobile hotspot with your smartphone and use that to connect your radio to.
When connected, it'll download all the data needed (may take a few seconds).4.jpg

If you go back to the Navigation settings, the Camera alert option should be now available.
If selected, it will start automatically as soon as the radio is connected to a wireless network.
Now each time you approach a stationary speed camera, it will be displayed on the map, and give an acoustic warning.

5.jpg

Note that the radio needs to be connected to the internet at all times, for the service to work.
This setting is not available in Switzerland, as it is prohibited by law.

Last edited:

Mordog

May 24, 2018
Germany
its a grey zone with the radar warning for germany. your are not allowed to install them on your sd/nav. but you can use them if you receiving them online (via live service in our case).
if i remember correctly its the same with a radar warning box. not the use is baned only the install.

Reactions: Welsh wizard

Maverick

May 10, 2018
Europe
@padigree I have a few questions.. Is that tom tom free? Is it an app? Do you have to connect to Android Auto first? Does it work without Internet? How often does that need to be updated? Do I have to do this process every time I start the car or the Navi app? Is it available only in Germany? The video is in German, could we have an English version too?

Thank you! :)

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
All in description :eek: when your car is new, it's covered with hyundai mapcare. So I think it's free for 5 years. I don't know if you have to activate it later. It's no app, simply follow the steps in the description and connect the car to a Hotspot. After that there is a pop up "live services available". I would do it in English, only problem is, that my Sony Vegas isn't working at the moment, so I have to edit all over my android phone :rolleyes:

And no, you don't have to do this every single time, you just have to turn on a wifi Hotspot. The car connects automatically to it after first connection. :)

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
Hyundai UK said:
Hyundai MapCare keeps you heading in the right direction with navigation maps and software updates, for all new Hyundai models, completely free of charge, for the lifetime of your Hyundai*, by simply visiting your local dealer.

Hyundai MapCare is applicable to: New Tucson, Santa Fe, New i20, i40, IONIQ and KONA.
Note the requirement to visit the dealer. I believe that it is 10 years cover, but only annual updates, note the lack of i30 in the vehicle list.

Once again, it appears that the technology exists, is available to Hyundai, might even be in the i30N, but is not made available to UK owners o_O I would love to be proved wrong.

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Note the requirement to visit the dealer. I believe that it is 10 years cover, but only annual updates, note the lack of i30 in the vehicle list.

Once again, it appears that the technology exists, is available to Hyundai, might even be in the i30N, but is not made available to UK owners o_O I would love to be proved wrong.
Could you try it? I dont know if it depends on MapCare, it's the TomTom Live-Service. But found nothing about that. Neither in the manual, nor on official pages.. Latest Hyundai News from 2016 with the i20and i10.

I'll contact Hyundai germany for that :)

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
But you have to be online the whole time.. When you only connect at home, drive away and the signal get lost, the service will stop. Thats why i use an Android phone with a mobile hotspot. You also could use an Apple one or a GSM-Stick.

Reactions: BadShadd

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
Out of range of home wi-fi. I turned on mobile hotspot on my Android phone. The car then detected an Android wifi network, then asked for a password. I tried the ones I know, but none was accepted. What password is it requesting?

Got it now, the phone generates a password, but you have to look elsewhere in settings to find it.

More testing later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howy

Scott1977

May 23, 2018
United Kingdom
Have you monitored how much data it uses from the mobile hotspot? I activated this yesterday when parked up to see if it worked and once I connected to my mobile hotspot the camera activation was already ticked and activated!
Going to give it a try on my 35 mile trip home tonight.

Reactions: speedking

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Have you monitored how much data it uses from the mobile hotspot? I activated this yesterday when parked up to see if it worked and once I connected to my mobile hotspot the camera activation was already ticked and activated!
Going to give it a try on my 35 mile trip home tonight.
Nearly nothing. Last 5 days with 2x30km (2x30 mins) per day only used ~3Mb in total.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019
England
Hi everyone,

When you set up the live services for the navigation and it gives you updated speed restrictions and speed camera locations - does it give speed camera alerts even when you’ve not got actual guidance running?

E.g. on my mum’s MK8 Fiesta it will sound an alert when passing a speed camera even if a specific destination has not been set.

aca_nl

Jan 5, 2019
Netherlands
Have been driving the car for more than half a year before I discovered this great piece of information. Didn't know this car actually had this kind of functionality!

Thanks a lot padigree! :D