• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: Smart Key Battery Replacement

... or if you don't play the guitar ;) take a 6mm / 1/4" screwdriver, put it into the shallow slot above/below where the key slides in and twist. The case pops open with no visible damage to the exterior.

If your anal about possibly marring the finish of the FOB, use a coin to fit the slot or purchase the specific tool FOB VISE off of Amazon or ebay.

A coin won't fit in the slot. I'm talking about the slot specifically designed for opening the key using a screwdriver :confused: not the line where the fob splits.

Hi guys

Does anyone know what brand of battery originally came with in the key?

Panasonic maybe?

Can someone please tell me what the HOLD button at the bottom of the key does? It looks like it opens the rear boot but when I press and hold it all that happens is the hazards flash…. thanks

Can someone please tell me what the HOLD button at the bottom of the key does? It looks like it opens the rear boot but when I press and hold it all that happens is the hazards flash…. thanks

Unlocks the boot.

What you need:

1x Your key, 1x CR2032 3V Lithium Battery, 1x Plectrum or other plastic-smartphone-tool

Time: 2minutes.

BTW: I wrapped the key with tape, I won't wake up and notice someone made a key because he saw the shape :)
I replaced my battery with a new one and now the keyfob doesn't work at all. The little light doesn't even come on when pressing the buttons. Battery definitely the right way round and everything seems ok (changed keyfob batteries loads of times before) Any idea what could be causing this?

Have you taken the child safe sticky label off the new battery and are you sure the new one is ok and has power.
Thanks for the reply. Got it sorted, turns out one of the little battery contact prongs was a tiny bit bent, didn't think it was enough to affect anything but once I straightened it, everything worked fine. I must've inadvertently moved it when removing the cover.

Reactions: NCart
A coin won't fit in the slot. I'm talking about the slot specifically designed for opening the key using a screwdriver :confused: not the line where the fob splits.

With more than a year delay on this,(Didn't see it earlier) I think it's a useful information for the ones trying to replace the battery.
All the tools required to do it are included in the fob 😉

When you remove the emergency key from its place, look into the space it left and you can see a small square tab above the hole the key in. Place the tip of the key there and with a gentle twist to one side you can lift pry open the tab and also use it as a lever to lift one side of fob to separate them. Use your fingers to complete the job.

There are several videos on YouTube showing how it's done if there are doubts

Last edited: