• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: Remove Sound Generator (ESG)

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Just for the completeness of our HowTo section: I have found that I have not yet posted a tutorial to remove the sound generator (except on my member car thread).

Sound Generator.

Since I always had problems with the sound generator, I wanted to remove it completely this time.

I was disturbed by the syntethic sound and the vibrations. Now it is pleasantly quiet in the interior and you really hear only the exhaust. The car sounds now much "clearer" from the inside (and not so "broken")

IMG_20190314_082956-01.jpeg
Removed everything like I did for the windshield noise fix. I think it should be possible, if you just remove the plastic cover clips. So if you don't want to remove / simply unplug the generator for testing, it's not necessary to remove the wipers!

IMG_20190314_082933-01.jpeg
Generator Front

IMG_20190314_082937-01.jpeg
Generator Rear

How it was sometimes before: (bad quality, video out of my sent whatsapp videos)

I made a Video / HowTo / Tutorial with parts of the Windshield-Noise-Fix, simply skip a bit if you already know how it works ;)

Sound Generator Thread: https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/electronic-sound-generator.357/
Windshield Noise Fix Thread: https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/how-to-dashboard-windshield-noise-fix.1935/

From what I can see from your photos/video, I imagine you can't just unplug it without removing the wipers/trim?

From what I can see from your photos/video, I imagine you can't just unplug it without removing the wipers/trim?

If you release the trim you might get your hand squeezed in to release it without having to completely remove it. But I think you need small hands hehe. :)

Reactions: Rival Son
Isn’t there a way to disable the thing without unplugging it? Also, if it is unplugged, doesn’t it generate an error somewhere?

For the guys who did this, what method did you choose to protect the plug from getting wet?

It does not generate errors while unplugged.
Got hands that are definately on the bigger side, had no issues on just unplugging it without removing anything. Removing the clips was enough for me to reach through.
I threw the plug over the small strut in the middle, if it goes bad it will not be missed.

Reactions: Damir and Bu11eT
It does not generate errors while unplugged.
Got hands that are definately on the bigger side, had no issues on just unplugging it without removing anything. Removing the clips was enough for me to reach through.
I threw the plug over the small strut in the middle, if it goes bad it will not be missed.
Man I don’t know how you determine big hands but I tried for an hour straight and my hand does simply not fit to unplug it and I wasn’t being careful at all. Why an hour? Don’t have the tool to take the wipers off.. :D They are so tight that pliers didn’t do the trick.

Man I don’t know how you determine big hands but I tried for an hour straight and my hand does simply not fit to unplug it and I wasn’t being careful at all. Why an hour? Don’t have the tool to take the wipers off.. :D They are so tight that pliers didn’t do the trick.

Pulled on that wipers for a solid 10 minutes and tried not to fuck them up with pliers or wrenches, also no removal tool here. Thats why I did it that way.
Hand for scale. 20211007_204013s.jpg

Pulled on that wipers for a solid 10 minutes and tried not to fuck them up with pliers or wrenches, also no removal tool here. Thats why I did it that way.
Hand for scale. View attachment 18314
:D even a hand for scale, respect the hustle.

Had to measure mine too xD mine is 1cm bigger but don’t think that it maked a difference. Need to try again once my hand recovers :D

Hi Gents
Since I have sent my computer for some upgrades I have some time to dig around some small stuff I wanted always to do but never had the time :) I can confirm that if You use some hand power and don't cry when it feels unpleasant the unplug upgrejd is doable in under 20 minutes :) Can't wait to hear the difference inside the car :)

It doesn't take too long and it's simple. It might take longer than 20 minutes if your have to answer a few phone calls and write a couple emails.
Depending on how badly your wipers are stuck in place, you might need a tool to take them out or heat up the wipers a bit to loosen them. Maybe I'm just lazy, but the position, especially for the passenger wiper, is not the best to just brute-force them out.
I used a heat gun and they came off without needing any Hulk-like power or really any effort at all.

Bloody hell…those wipers were stuck.
So end up pushing my hands in to un-plug the ESG…it was a tight but doable without removing the wipers.

Cant wait to hear the car without it.
Did not touch it on my old pre fl model, since it worked ok, but on this new fl model it started to make buzzing noises after winter.

Did anyone notice the now loose cable making any noise?

I am going to do this on my car and am curious if you taped the cable/connector down or anything to keep it secure.

Did anyone notice the now loose cable making any noise?

I am going to do this on my car and am curious if you taped the cable/connector down or anything to keep it secure.
I wrapped it with soft foamy tape and tied it to the bracket.

I have to say i hardly noticed any difference when its unplugged.

Exhaust is so loud with RPM GPF delete.

Reactions: useless
I wrapped it with soft foamy tape and tied it to the bracket.

I have to say i hardly noticed any difference when its unplugged.

Exhaust is so loud with RPM GPF delete.

Nice! Thanks for the advice on the cable.

I don’t think I will miss it, we don’t have the GPF in Australia, I believe so I expect my result will be the same as yours!

So I am very very skinny with thin hands. If I remove the clips, lift the plastic trim as much as possible I should be able to unplug the sound generator, without removing the wipers? No problems from leaving the loose connector and generator under there(water damage, errors, etc)?

Reactions: i30än