• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To Remove shark fin antenna?

Fishing Line 15 lbs. or less or dental floss, WD-40 to loosen the 3M strip from the underside of the Shark Fin and the body. Take your time and work back and forth with the line, until it's loose all the way around. Once you get it free from the body, there will be a small nut and wire connected to the antenna mount and the shark fin to remove. Voila' you're finished.

The Shark Fin is bolted to the top . You'll may also have to slip a wrench underneath the head liner and remove the nut on the underside of the top. Voila' you're finished.

Last edited:
May I ask why?
Yes.

Roof wrap.

Fishing Line 15 lbs. or less or dental floss, WD-40 to loosen the 3M strip from the underside of the Shark Fin and the body. Take your time and work back and forth with the line, until it's loose all the way around. Once you get it free from the body, there will be a small nut and wire connected to the antenna mount and the shark fin to remove. Voila' you're finished.

Thanks. Hmmmm tape huh?? Interesting. Do you happen to know if there are any indicators that'll aid in centring when I need to reinstall? ie notches or guides? Would like to know more before I get under there only to be surprised with more work than it's worth.

Ideally the removal of antenna for my little project would be best. Plan B would be to work the rubber seal at the base. Rubber doesn't seen forgiving and has more high tension.

Yes.

Roof wrap.

Thanks. Hmmmm tape huh?? Interesting. Do you happen to know if there are any indicators that'll aid in centring when I need to reinstall? ie notches or guides? Would like to know more before I get under there only to be surprised with more work than it's worth.

Ideally the removal of antenna for my little project would be best. Plan B would be to work the rubber seal at the base. Rubber doesn't seen forgiving and has more high tension.
Thanks, got it. What you wrapping it with mate?

Once removed you'll have to look at the position of the antenna stud. The shark fin will need to be positioned slightly aft of that stud, centered naturally. Use a smart phone, take a picture of its position before and after removal, as a guide. They will generally be in the same location for all installations.

If you don't find any 3M tape, it will be anchored with silicone adhesive. The WD40, fishing line or dental floss will still be applicable for removal. Just take your time. I like dental floss, as it slips easier and protects the clear coat finish as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like a pain to do the way you describe it. Is it? lol
I wan't to wrap my roof also but the shark fin is the part that makes me doubt I can do it myself.

Not really, It's pretty simple, it's the only way to remove it. Allot simpler than trying to cut-out for the shark fin. I don't think you can get close enough to it to make it look right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnus X-1
Need to do this, but it won’t be for applying wrap... Still haven’t even done it on the VT1 yet.