• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: LED Interior

Eternity

Feb 3, 2018
The inside lights of the car make it look a bit dated in my opinion. I ordered these Osram LED bulbs to replace the standard ones rather than relying on cheap ones from china.

Here are the bulbs I bought.
Osram 6000k 31mm festoon.
Osram 6000k w16w
20180215_120502.jpg

To help with the job I have one of these plastic trim tools

20180215_120407.jpg

Starting with the front first.
Start by gently pushing the trim tool into the straight edge near one end.

20180215_120826.jpg

It will unclip from the straight edge straight down. Do not try this on the curved side or you will damage the plastic retaining clips.

20180215_120400.jpg

Now you will see this...

20180215_120326.jpg

Pull the bulb straight towards you like a normal capless type bulb.

The new bulb is slightly bigger than the old one so I found pushing the metal reflector up very slightly helped give just enough room.
Push the new bulb in place and make sure its properly seated, Mine did need a good push!

20180215_120652.jpg

Remember, if the bulb does not light to take it out, rotate it 180 degrees and put it back in.

Now refit the plastic light cover. Make sure you hook in the curved edge into the tab recesses first and the push the straight edge up last so it clips in flush.

20180215_120725.jpg

Test the light again, repeat on the other side and you are done!

Now the rear inside light.
It much easier than the front.
Use the trim tool to lever in between the black edge and clear plastic. Make sure you are doing it along the side with the switch nearest to it.

20180215_121147.jpg

The cover will come off easily once you get to the point above.
You will then be left with this.

20180215_121204.jpg

Now grab the bulb and pull it out, very simple. Push the new bulb in remembering to check it lights and swapping it 180 if it doesn't.
Now clip the over back on and enjoy the much brighter and whiter light!

20180215_190853.jpg

Last edited:

Simo

Feb 6, 2018
The inside lights of the car make it look a bit dated in my opinion.
Did the original bulbs have a fade in and fade out effect? In other words when you unlocked or opened the door and triggered the light did they gradually reach full power, and the reverse (gradually change from full power to dark) when you lock the car?

I would imagine the LEDs aren't capable of that...

asd

Feb 12, 2018
Poznań, Poland
The inside lights of the car make it look a bit dated in my opinion. I ordered these Osram LED bulbs to replace the standard ones rather than relying on cheap ones from china.

Here are the bulbs I bought.
Osram 6000k 31mm festoon.
Osram 6000k w16w
View attachment 149

To help with the job I have one of these plastic trim tools

Well done.

jwa

Feb 23, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
So I've had a look at the interior yesterday and checked out the glove box and the bulb in there is also a small w5w bulb. Easily replaced.

I did not, however, find out how to pry open the vanity mirror lights. There are no recesses or anything similar. Can anyone help?

M

Member left member 268

That's an excellent" how to" post.. As good as it gets IMO.

Thank you .

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
What you could do is simply remove the whole unit for front lightning. When you open the holder for sunglasses, you see 2 screws. If you remove them, you can easily pull out the unit and change the bulbs from behind, without removing the plastics. That's how I've done it, don't wanna risk to break one of the clips. Maybe that would help someone.

ChristofR-N

Mar 12, 2018
You can get py21w indicator led bulbs that direct fit with the resistors built in so no need for messing with wires.
The only normal bulbs on the car are reverse, rear fog, rear indicators and number plate lights.
Here is a link to 2 companes that sell them.
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pr...icator-bulbsno-hyperflash-bau15s-py21w-glb581
Autobeam.co.uk
This might have been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't been able to find the thread/post...
I just received the LED rear indicators lights (still waiting for the car, though). I'm not really bothered about the rear fog, number plate and reverse lights, but what about the indicator lights in the side mirrors ? Are those LED or just normal bulbs ?

Edit : sorry, post just above asked the same thing... Anyway, are they ? LED ? Side mirrors ?

Last edited:

Eternity

Feb 3, 2018
Yes the side mirrors are led. Only the bulbs in the rear light cluster, indicator, reverse and fog and the number plate bulbs are halogen. I've changed all mine. Far better. The reverse lights are better as led because it lights up behind you more on the reverse cam.

ChristofR-N

Mar 12, 2018
Yes the side mirrors are led. Only the bulbs in the rear light cluster, indicator, reverse and fog and the number plate bulbs are halogen. I've changed all mine. Far better. The reverse lights are better as led because it lights up behind you more on the reverse cam.
That's good to hear. I'll just replace the rear indicators for the time being, I can always do the other bulbs later on should they not be to my liking...

Smokeyr67

Apr 29, 2018
Brisbane, QLD Australia
Just a bit of advice for Aussie's (Queenslanders) - the local Constabulary apparently dislike it when you upgrade your rear facing lights, they think it blinds those that follow you :(

Smokeyr67

Apr 29, 2018
Brisbane, QLD Australia
That's what I want to do, but I might just whip out the airbrush and use some of this instead http://alclad2.com/finishes/transparent/alc-405-black-smoke/

I honestly think that the Coppers would only hit you for it if your a bit of a tosser, like my neighbours kid who was pulled over for speeding and ended up having to take his car over the pit. (He's a lippy little shit, if I was a copper I'd do him for every possible infractions, take him back to the watch house and put him in a cell with Terry Tripod the sodimising superman)