• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: LED Boot lights

Eternity

Feb 3, 2018
I was going to put an LED festoon bulb in the boot light unit as the standard bulb is very poor. However after trying it I found the light output was still rather bad.
Here is my solution.
If you look on ebay you can find LED light panels very easily in all shapes and sizes.
I happened to have an unused one just the right size with proper SMD type LED rather than the COB units that are quite common. The SMD's in my opinion, give a much nicer white light as the COB units can have more of a blue tint.
Here is the led panel simply pushed into the defusing cover, was a lovely fit so no glue was needed. However if it is too small some clear glue gun glue is perfect to hold it in place.
inside 4.jpg
inside 1.jpg
To open the unit you need to place a flat blade screw driver into the small black tab and push so the cover separates from the holder.

inside 2.jpg
You can the you the spring adjusted festoon fitment to put into the holder to power the panel.

inside 3.jpg

Note, the positive end it the one nearest the connector plug so put the festoon adaptor this way round.

20180215_002946.jpg

Make sure the connector (if there is one) is secure and tuck the wires into the holder.

Then simply clip the cover back on and you are good to go!

20180215_003019.jpg

Much brighter, whiter light!

20180215_190909.jpg

I try, hate not being able to see in a boot properly. No need in these days of LED lighting.

Would love to be able to put a light on the left hand side too, not sure if it's possible

Just splice into the existing wires on the right side and run them under the molding to the left. Requires a little extra work, soldering, and a second light. You can still make it look professional and like it belongs there. Easier than you think.