• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: DTUK Tuning Box

Crocoman

Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
Tools needed: Cable ties, snips/cutters
Time needed: ~20 minutes

!!! Before you start, make sure that the car is off and the key is away from the car, just to allow any electrical systems to be completely turned off !!!

It’s worth spending some time to choose the best way to feed all the wiring. The harness and appropriate "feeds" for the 3 connections are certain lengths so you’ll find the Tuning Box itself can only really go in one or two places. When I refitted mine today, I felt I did a much better job of tidying the cables and making it a nice, neat install.

The wiring harness that DTUK provide you has three male/female outlets. The first thing to do is identify the 3 connections that you’re going to "intercept" within the engine bay.

1. The boost sensor, which is underneath the intake, to the left of the air box. That’s the hardest to reach one but it’s still easy enough to get to. The wiring harness has an orange label marked "Boost" and you simply unplug the connection and connect the harness appropriately. If you are having to exert any force whatsoever to connect things up then it’s the wrong way round.

BoostSensor.jpg

2. The map sensor, which on the wiring harness is labelled "Boost" again but this time it’s the green part of the loom. This sensor is to the front of the engine (when you lift the engine cover off, it’s visible at the bottom straight away). Same again, detach the connection and reattach with the green boost to the appropriate male and female connections.

MapSensor.jpg

3. Finally, the cam sensor (this one looks different as it’s a 3 pin). This is part of the wiring loom has a white label (CAM). This is located directly in line with the oil filler cap, to the right most side of the engine. This connection can only be connected one way but be careful still. All connections should click nice and satisfyingly if done correctly.

CamSensor.jpg

At this point, connect the DTUK module to the end of the harness. Check all connections, make sure there’s no cabling near the fan in particular or against anything that will get really hot.

Then start her up. Make sure the car obviously starts and idles ok and check the box for power. There are specific instructions on how to pair your phone to the Tuning Box (if you chose this option) but they are in the manual so I’m not going to go into all that.

Here’s a photo with all connections - this was before I tidied it up. In particular, the MAP sensor cabling, which I tucked under existing wiring.

AllConnections.jpg

Final one, with the engine cover back on and Tuning Box all fixed in position. I’m not sure about my final positioning of the box on this occasion as it’s horizontal and I might need it to be pointing towards the dash for the Bluetooth functionality to operate...

Final.jpg

This is what I mean, it can be easily corrected should I need to...

FinalCloseUp.jpg

K#90

Feb 16, 2018
Germany / Saarland / HOM
Racechip uses the same Connectors/Sensors, so no worries.
Nice How2.

Maybe u should add that it is no fault to close the car via key, then wait 10 Minutes with the key away from the car and then start with installing the Box.
I also had the bonnet-switch bridged, just unhook the spring from the bonnet-lock.

Reactions: GaryH78

RawZ05

May 8, 2018
Laugharne
Seems they’ve changed the colours on the colour coding on mine compared to yours.

Orange is now the Cam Sensor:

Green is for Boost (first one in your guide)

Purple (marked Boost 2) for Map Sensor:

At least I hope I got that right... the instructions provided are not specific to the i30. Had pictures of a GDi Turbo engine that had a different layout to what this guide shows. I hope I’ve not been given the wrong kit lol.

The BT app registers the i30N though.

The Cam Sensor connection has been botched with a grove to align with the i30’s fitting since it has a grove to the right hand side. The botched cut out grove doesn’t align properly with the i30. Had to twist and slot it but it wasn’t ideal. It connects but it seems like they’ve adapted another cars module for this car.

I’ve not driven her yet. Run the engine and connected the BT app. Everything seems to be fully working and responsive so far.

Quick question, this was included in the box:

Seems like it would slot into the DTUK box but there’s no room for it since the cables connect to the box. There’s no mention of this in the instructions either.

RawZ05

May 8, 2018
Laugharne
Okay. Seems I got it wrong. First time installing mods... :/

This guide with the different colour coded cables completely through me compared to the instructions.

Now all connected properly per the instructions (even though the pictures on the instructions show a different engine compartment):

Orange = Cam
Green = Map
Purple = Boost

All tidy:

Cover on:

Just need to cable tie the box somewhere safe.

FYI, the Cam connector I mentioned earlier being a bit of a sod to connect since it doesn’t align with the makeshift grove properly:

Got it to click eventually but took too much force than I’d like.

Instructions with a different photo of the engine:

Reactions: dave drains
M

Member left member 268

Don't know what's going on with your Cam connector... No makeshift groove in mine and no forcing mine in as it was a perfect fit... OK mine was one of the first that DTUK produced here...but personally i wouldn't be happy with that..almost like they have run out of the correct connector and modified another similar one they had for yours.
If you route the cables round and underneath the air intake pipe from the filter... The box will sit nicely on top of the battery with the aid of heavy duty Velcro.

Reactions: Crocoman and RawZ05

Abyss

Aug 18, 2018
Durham
that would going back right away if that got delivered to me and has me wondering how on earth that got packed and sent
The kits come packaged from Germany and landed 5 minutes before the postman left. We’ll check the others that came
Within this batch as I’ve never seen a plug botched like that before

RawZ05

May 8, 2018
Laugharne
Don't know what's going on with your Cam connector... No makeshift groove in mine and no forcing mine in as it was a perfect fit... OK mine was one of the first that DTUK produced here...but personally i wouldn't be happy with that..almost like they have run out of the correct connector and modified another similar one they had for yours.
If you route the cables round and underneath the air intake pipe from the filter... The box will sit nicely on top of the battery with the aid of heavy duty Velcro.

Cheers for the suggestion!

Crocoman

Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
I have my box sitting on the fuse box. Cables tucked under intake too. Used some double sided sticky pads. The unit itself is facing horizontal but the Bluetooth works fine from inside the car.....

RawZ05

May 8, 2018
Laugharne
You guys experimented with the 0~3 options in Sport?

Had a short trip to Cardiff airport and back earlier this week. Selecting 1~3 in Sport basically stopped all the pops & bangs for me. Option 1 I had a couple but nothing whatsoever in 2 & 3.

In stock 0, it performs as normal. Just curious if you had the same experience.

Markvp1978

Jan 31, 2018
Installed it today, but the wire that goes into the Dtuk box doesn't click and can be pulled out of the box without any problem. I can see the orange rubber doesn't fit very well. Anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong? Thank you

Abyss

Aug 18, 2018
Durham
Installed it today, but the wire that goes into the Dtuk box doesn't click and can be pulled out of the box without any problem. I can see the orange rubber doesn't fit very well. Anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong? Thank you
Mark, zee Germans sometimes place them the wrong way around. Take it out and place it back the opposite way and it’ll be fine. The seal is meant to be tight so take a little time to push them together

M

Member left member 268

It will only go one way round into my box and it has a locking tab to keep it situ.