• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How tall can your friends be? Front and back

joegrant413

Sep 29, 2019
Columbia, IL
Hello,

I'm expecting delivery on my Veloster N this week and look forward to having friends check it out.

I have one friend who's 6 ft. 4 inches, and it'd be nice for him to have a chance to drive it. But would he be too tall? And my daughter is dating someone who is taller.

I suppose the more general question is... how tall can your friends be to have them get in -- or even drive -- the Veloster N comfortably? That is, without asking them to suffer and slouch the whole time.

Thanks,
- Joe

LMAO!:p Good luck with that! A 6'4" man or women won't fit in the VN, no matter how hard you try. Don't even, try the back seat!! You don't have to ask them to suffer, they just won't fit.:)

Sorry, the VN wasn't made for this sector of the population. Thanks for asking though!

Last edited:
LMAO!:p Good luck with that! A 6'4" man or women won't fit in the VN, no matter how hard you try. Don't even, try the back seat!! You don't have to ask them to suffer, they just won't fit.:)

Sorry, the VN wasn't made for this sector of the population.
I didn't realise the VN cabin is that much smaller than the i30N. I'm 6'6" and fit comfortably in the i30N with plenty of room to spare.

My brother is 6' 3" and he fits in the passenger seat. My buddy is 6' and he fits in the back, he just has to slouch down slightly so his head doesn't hit the roof but he says it is not uncomfortable. I think there is plenty of room for passengers when you need it. I often drive with a full car that consists of my brother (6' 3") in the front, my buddy (6') behind me (also 6'), and my buddy's girlfriend (5') behind my brother. It's not *ideal* but it could be a lot worse!

Reactions: N Faded oD
The front seats slide back a surprising amount. I'm 6ft 230lbs and I fit fine. I also tend to fill up the car of co-workers who are just as big as me. I have to move my seat up a bit. Not ideal but honestly not the worst either.

I'm 6'4" and fit reasonably well with steering wheel pulled all the way towards me and tilted up enough so that shift lights are just visible. With the steering column cover in place my right knee touches the cover when I heel-toe. Since installing my ECS10 module I've left the cover off and am now very comfortable, no contact anywhere...just some CAN bus cabling visible to the passenger haha.

When I wear my helmet in the car I do have to tilt the seat back a notch or two more for clearance above the helmet, and then bring the seat forwards a notch or two to get my arms closer to the wheel...this scrunches up my legs slightly, but I surprisingly don't find it a problem on track (even when I had the steering column cover in place).

As a general rule I try not to be friends with anyone that elicits a pitchfork response from villagers. I would also hope that they are the same height front and back, although if they were standing on a slope this may alter my expectation.

All joking aside, my brother is 5'11 and fits in the back no problem, my father is 6'3 and does not. I would guess if my brother was an inch taller his head would be in contact with the headliner.

Here's an oddity for you; thin & short women are my typical passengers. If a woman's width from shoulder to shoulder is narrow enough to fit in between the side bolstering of the passenger seat then they have universally complained about how "these are the worst seats in the world".

Here's an oddity for you; thin & short women are my typical passengers. If a woman's width from shoulder to shoulder is narrow enough to fit in between the side bolstering of the passenger seat then they have universally complained about how "these are the worst seats in the world".

Makes perfect sense to me. The bolsters force their arms forward instead of being able to let them fall straight downwards from their shoulders. A normal sized human should be able to reach their arm over to the arm rests on the door card or center console but that would be a long reach for the type of body you describe.

Flopping around in your seat with nowhere to put your arms and no way to comfortably brace yourself would make anyone complain, particularly in a performance car.

Reactions: VelosterRaptor
Hah! I wouldn't dream of passing judgement on the humans you prefer to spend time with, simply an observation that they seem to fall outside the range of body sizes Hyundai engineered the car for. =]

Reactions: VelosterRaptor
But all the Korean women I've met are tiny!
I'll bet you a beer that the Korean spec and US spec bolsters are in VERY different locations. ;]

Aw crud... Can't just assume you're in the US market on this forum... Where do Canadians fall in the spectrum of obesity if we call Korea a 1 and 'murica a 10?

Well considering Korean VN's have leather bolsters and ventilated seats, the specifications are truly different.

I don't think it's about a matter of obesity, that's a judgement. A normal sized women, that's a judgement and as well is dangerous to mention in front of any woman.:p

How do you define normal sized, it's relative? :) I don't believe there is such a female. I'd be running the opposite direction, if I ever mention in the presents of women. It's a sure bet, to bring about a lynching:p

Last edited:
Wise words @R Veloster N. Body normalizing is the same as body shaming and for that I apologize.

Though it remains an interesting engineering exercise to create the best seat for the greatest number of people, and like it or not, that sweet spot does vary geographically.

FWIW I'm 5'8" and I am the largest human that can comfortably fit in the back seat of my wife's MINI SUV. The Veloster back seat isn't that bad.

Reactions: R Veloster N
No apologies needed or required.:)

Yes, people who are heavier than they'd like to be, are fully aware of it and no sense pointing it out. They have to accept it themselves everyday. Some are content and happy, with the way they are and rightly so. We accept people, for the person they are. I believe the good old saying is "don't judge a book by it's cover."

The back seat is no place for a large person. I'm a 5'6" individual and I just fit with the seat in the midway position and with just enough headroom.

I can't see persons of too large a stature, being comfortable front or rear.:)

Aw crud... Can't just assume you're in the US market on this forum... Where do Canadians fall in the spectrum of obesity if we call Korea a 1 and 'murica a 10?

Canadians are like a 7. We are impressed with how thin Europeans are when we travel abroad, but often horrified when we travel to Texas. We partake in just as much fast-food culture as you do, but our Regular Coke is your Small.

Reactions: Ando-N