• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Honda Civic Type R vs Hyundai i30 Fastback N drag race

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
Not really a surprise 306bhp v271bhp same weight, in a straight line there is only going to be one winner luckily for us I30N owners there is a lot more to owning a car than going in a straight line as we all know.

Ghost

Aug 14, 2019
Northeast
I've seen Type R's race Mustang GT's and C-6 Vettes and they hang right with them. When I saw it I couldn't believe it to be honest. All cars were modified too.... I guess the driver, weight, and mods have a lot to do with it.

Best regards,

-Mike

Last edited:

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Typically, neither the VN, i30N or Type R are acceleration kings by any stretch of the imagination. They simply weren't made for this. Their attributes are geared more towards handling and cornering. These compilations of straight line "Fast and Furious, " acceleration comparisons, are futile and provide very little in depth understanding of how the cars were designed, engineered, constructed or to be utilized. Agility, fun and prowess are the VN and i30N capabilities, not raw straight line acceleration.

If straight line acceleration is your thing, than more power to you. However, you've purchased the wrong car for it. There are much better platforms for such activity.:)

Additionally, the Type R is not in the same class of car the i30N or VN is. Attempting to compare the two is; like comparing apples to oranges. The Type R has quirky styling and a 27 hp advantage. Unless it was misgeared and much heavier, I'd expect any car with 306 hp to be faster in a straight line.

However, we've seen in past track video comparisons, they' re nearly dead even and in some cases the VN is faster. This takes us back to what they were originally designed for and that's agility.:)

Last edited:

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
Yep, 0-100 is really pointless for these cars.

Test drove a Focus RS when I bought my Type R and while it wasn't without its charms, when I tried to make it change direction it felt like Tubby McTubarse with nearly 200 extra kgs.

By comparison the Type R was like a scalpel. And once you get up to speed even AWD and those extra killerwatts couldn't really give in gear acceleration to match the Type R.

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
Yep, 0-100 is really pointless for these cars.

Test drove a Focus RS when I bought my Type R and while it wasn't without its charms, when I tried to make it change direction it felt like Tubby McTubarse with nearly 200 extra kgs.

By comparison the Type R was like a scalpel. And once you get up to speed even AWD and those extra killerwatts couldn't really give in gear acceleration to match the Type R.
If they made a more subtle looking type R I would have bought one like an AMG 45 that gives you the option of a more stealth look without all the aero, fine if your a young but being how shall we say a more mature driver I thought I might look a little out of place driving one, there is no doubt the Type R is a great car but the fast and furious look is not for me, but if they ever tone down the looks a little well who knows, having said that the Toyota Yaris GR is looking tempting so I'm not ready for a hearing aid beige corolla yet!

Reactions: R Veloster N

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
AMG GLA45 is a stealthy weapon. With minor tweaks, is a sword and capable of out driving the driver within it. We owned one and it was as fast straight line, as it was around corners. Ours would easily keep up with a Porsche Turbo up to and sometimes over 130 mph.

A Porsche Turbo is ultra fast, g o drive one if you're not up to speed. :)