• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine High Exhaust Gas Temps (EGTs)

radwerx

Oct 12, 2019
Singapore
Hi. Was searching over the forum to see if someone did a log or kept a close eye on the EGTs but didn't manage to find much.

Hence my question to all....

Did anyone notice that the i30N or Veloster N EGTs at full throttle are around 850 to 900 Deg Celsius (which is OK) but will keep rising to beyond 950 the moment u lift the throttle. The temps will drop a bit when u apply throttle again but doesn't not drop back to below 900 quickly enough.

The above observation was with the car in N mode with exhaust flaps fully open and engine in sport + mode.

In Normal mode, the EGTs will rise beyond 1000 deg C when the throttle is lifted after a period of high load (full boost).

I would like to know if anyone is knows, whether this is normal for turbocharged cars (yes I know hyundai would have thought of this already), especially if there is intention to remap the car for higher power....

Thanks in advance to any feedback.

On a gas turbo engine, 1150F or lower is fine.:)

Pre-turbine as high as 1620°F

You're not running enough boost or maintaining it across the rpm range. Higher EGT will come with leaner conditions but it's not unheard of to develop between 1150F - 1250F for a basically stock engine. If its not red, it's dead!!:p

On a gas turbo engine, 1150F or lower is fine.:)

Pre-turbine as high as 1620°F

You're not running enough boost or maintaining it across the rpm range. Higher EGT will come with leaner conditions but it's not unheard of to develop between 1150F - 1250F for a basically stock engine. If its not red, it's dead!!:p

Yes. 1250F is fine. But 900C is smth like 1650F. Lol

Found this in Cygnus's thread for EGTs

https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/there-is-no-plan.2765/post-48301

His peak was 1861F, pretty close to what I was seeing except his says pre Cat temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Weird. My OBDLink MX+ won’t allow me to monitor the exhaust gas temps. Otherwise Id log mine to compare.

Hi. Was searching over the forum to see if someone did a log or kept a close eye on the EGTs but didn't manage to find much.

Hence my question to all....

Did anyone notice that the i30N or Veloster N EGTs at full throttle are around 850 to 900 Deg Celsius (which is OK) but will keep rising to beyond 950 the moment u lift the throttle. The temps will drop a bit when u apply throttle again but doesn't not drop back to below 900 quickly enough.

The above observation was with the car in N mode with exhaust flaps fully open and engine in sport + mode.

In Normal mode, the EGTs will rise beyond 1000 deg C when the throttle is lifted after a period of high load (full boost).

I would like to know if anyone is knows, whether this is normal for turbocharged cars (yes I know hyundai would have thought of this already), especially if there is intention to remap the car for higher power....

Thanks in advance to any feedback.
what did you use to monitor your exhaust gas temperature?

The monitoring of the EGTs is not accurate since we do not have a sensor present to log it. The sensor value is merely roughly calculated. In order to retrieve specific temperatures you'd have to install EGT-sensors in the exhaust manifold. Measuring EGT behind the turbo would make no sense.

I have the sensors installed and my tune adapted to make sure my car never exceeds 950C in the manifold.
You'd have to drive for a prolonged period of time at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with relatively high RPMs and a (bad) tune present to exceed 1000C in the manifold.

Reactions: Blackedout
Well, why bother anyways? I’m rather sure you won’t exceed critical temperatures with a Stock car. It’s a different story with a tune but I was just told to not drive above 300 kph for a prolonged period of time to avoid issues 😉

Yes. With a stock car there should be no issues.

Although it would be interesting to see which EGT the manifold has to go through. In the end the stock manifold and wastegate are prone to cracking from the heat.

Driving 300kph even for longer periods with a tune is not even the worst case for the exhaust heat. Driving longer periods with a lean combustion (lambda 1) is the issue. That does not happen under full load but only when you push the throttle partly. Depending on the tune obv...