• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Hairline scratches on black alloys

Richsl

Sep 15, 2020
W. Yorkshire
So I have had my car a couple of months and have been very careful when cleaning (use 2 buckets when washing, high quality microfiber mits, thorough rinsing before washing etc). However in the sunny weather today I can notice loads of small hairline scratches in the black coated areas on the alloys, some swirly some straight scratches. Don't get me wrong they are only really visible in bright sunlight, but is this a common problem on black alloys as I have never had this problem with previous wheels?? Not sure if the scratches are occurring during cleaning or simply debris been thrown up during daily motorway driving.

mikeo

Jan 4, 2020
SW Scotland
Unluckily black does tend to show every imperfection / mark etc. One reason why I would never buy a black car again. It drives my mad!

The black alloys on my previous two cars (both Focus ST's) were far worse!! The were more of a mat finish and marked by just looking at the damn things. Mind you... Ford did a cheap arse job on them. As they were just the stock silver alloys painted black. And only the bits you could see. Something the tyre fitter pointed out when he went to put new tyres on and the insides of the alloys were still silver. Talk about penny pinching.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
OEM wheels are made of cheese unfortunately and they mark easily.

My aftermarket ones which are fully black don't suffer the same issues.

Reactions: r_anderson96

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
So I have had my car a couple of months and have been very careful when cleaning (use 2 buckets when washing, high quality microfiber mits, thorough rinsing before washing etc). However in the sunny weather today I can notice loads of small hairline scratches in the black coated areas on the alloys, some swirly some straight scratches. Don't get me wrong they are only really visible in bright sunlight, but is this a common problem on black alloys as I have never had this problem with previous wheels?? Not sure if the scratches are occurring during cleaning or simply debris been thrown up during daily motorway driving.
Could you not just T cut the black bits to remove the small scratches and swirls like you would on the bodywork? any mild abrasive polish would probably do the trick.

s.arhangelov

Aug 26, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Polish them and put good ceramic coating on. I recommend Gyeon Q2 Mohs. One 30ml bottle is more than enough for all four wheels. If you're not wasteful it will be enough for 2 layers.

The ceramic coating is thick enough that it hides the scratches and also protects from new ones forming. It doesn't really make the wheels easier to clean but it does make them much easier to dry afterwards.

Here are some pics from when I did mine.

Attachments

Reactions: Jajodu