• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis Godspeed Springs

TL;DR: It depends on how the ECS works and our stock spring rate, and I don't think we have those things totally figured out yet. Overall I wouldn't expect a significant reduction in comfort (perhaps a tiny bit more bouncy). What would reduce comfort is the 1.4" drop. This will significantly increase the likelihood of bottoming out. You may consider cutting .25-.5" off your bumpstops to gain back some travel. If you do, make sure you keep the fatter end of the bumpstop on the car.

Long version:

First of all, I believe the Godspeed springs are somewhat stiffer than stock. I believe this because, from reading the product descriptions on most of their springs, they mention "Designed To Work With OEM Shocks, Better With Aftermarket High Performance Shocks; Lowered While Maintain Ride Comfort". To me this sounds like they are trying to keep the damping ratio of the spring/damper combo close to the stock values. In order to work with OEM dampers but be better with aftermarket performance dampers (which typically have higher damping coefficients), the Godspeed spring stiffness is probably stiffer enough than stock to work well with stiffer dampers, but not so much stiffer that the stock dampers cannot control the spring oscillation.

As a reference point (not necessarily validation), I know the stock spring rates of my previous car were F 2.3kg/mm and R 3.8 kg/mm. The Godspeed springs for that same car have rates F 3.1 kg/mm and R 2.9/5.6kg/mm, and have the same product description. To me it appears that Godspeed's spring design philosophy is to mildly increase spring rates (there can be wide variation in aftermarket spring rates, some target stock, some go stiffer, some change the front rear balance, some are less or more progressive, etc).

Assuming that ECS targets damping coefficients, then with stiffer springs all modes would become "bouncier", similar to installing stiffer springs on a car without ECS. In the soft modes (normal/eco) the ride would become somewhat bouncier. In N mode though, which in my opinion is far too damped, you may actually get an improvement in comfort and ride feel.

If the ECS targets damping ratios, then ride will not become bouncy but would feel a little stiffer overall. I don't think the increase in stiffness will be a reduction in comfort though, in fact, it may feel better and less floaty in normal/eco in this case, though probably equally rough in N mode compared to stock.

Overall, I don't think the stiffness increase of these springs will cause a big difference in comfort. I would be more worried about the 1.4" reduction in wheel travel, which will increase likelihood of bottoming out.