• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Gearbox Gearbox & Clutch Discussion

so i set off from the lights fast and it went through the gears to 4th really quick with hardly any power.
i pulled over straight after and it smelt like burning.
the car has only done 1200 miles. (200 miles are mine, i bough it having done 1000).
just parked up for 5 minutes, pulled away and everything has been fine since.

should i be worried? what is this?

paul-h

Staff member
so i set off from the lights fast and it went through the gears to 4th really quick with hardly any power.
i pulled over straight after and it smelt like burning.
the car has only done 1200 miles. (200 miles are mine, i bough it having done 1000).
just parked up for 5 minutes, pulled away and everything has been fine since.

should i be worried? what is this?

I’d be taking that back to the dealer. Has it done it since? We have 5 year track friendly warranties on these cars, after all the development and abuse they have had at the ‘ring I’d be very surprised if the clutch was slipping!

i think your right, no harm in getting them to look over it.
took her out for 30 mins just now and all is fine no problems. maybe it was just some grease on the clutch or something as its new i'm hoping.

paul-h

Staff member
i think your right, no harm in getting them to look over it.
took her out for 30 mins just now and all is fine no problems. maybe it was just some grease on the clutch or something as its new i'm hoping.
No idea but it shouldn’t be slipping. They will road test it and tell you the same thing.

Take it out and put it in 5th or 6th and nail it from 30mph. If it’s going to slip then it’ll slip under those conditions.

Mine can be quite notchy into 6th at times, but it appears to be improving with more miles on the car. Apparently it's an issue with some cars in Germany too.

I’ve just tested another N performance, but this time I didn’t like the gearbox at all. It seemed to struggle getting in gear (all gears). I remember when I drove the normal N, the gearbox was amazing (easy throws). That car had 4000km though, this one was almost brand new. The one I drove yesterday felt like it really needed some force and the stick didn’t move in 1 easy throw (you could easily leave the stick halfway the pattern and crunch the gears). Also, I couldn’t feel the diff working as much as when I drove another performance version, and it seemed to have more torque steer somehow.

What changes did you notice after the run-in period (even after 5000km or more)? I’m especially worried about that gearbox, did you notice the same and does it improve?

I saw the 1st and 2nd gear jerky gearbox thread but I’m not so sure it’s the same problem as the problem I’m describing (in all gears). I really hope it improves like you say, short easy 1-flick throws is what I loved the first time. Even the downshifts with rev matching enabled we’re a bit “meh”.

Garth

Mine was quite stiff when new, but not uncomfortably so. Early on I had a couple of minor crunches that I put down to me not knowing the car well enough, but mostly this was getting into 6th. I'm 5000km in now and everything is much smoother and changes are quicker. But maybe this is in part to me getting used to the car?

With my previous hatch (Golf GTi), I went with the DSG, but so far I'm not regretting the manual in the i30N. Overall I'm very happy with the gearbox.

coxy 2 carpets

When I got mine from new I never really had much problem with the gears, 1st and 2nd were a little jerky but that seemed to clear off after 1k on the clock, same with the 6th gear issue. The box is now lovely smooth and direct, one of the best boxes i’ve drove with, such a pleasure that I probably prefer it to DSG even when just driving normally!

RawZ05

I’ve done 600 miles now. I find that 2 to 3 in odd occasions doesn’t slot in as well as the others. As I’ve got more used to it and drove some miles in, I’ve found it slots in better. I think with time I’ll be fine. I just had to push the stick a bit harder compared to the others.

Stash-N

Hyundai seems to have utilised components from other models or at least manufactured in house parts for the i30N. The Sonata based engine and the "own brand" brakes and seats. This is good thing and has kept the costs down so we the public can afford such a performance vehicle.
I have not read or heard about the origin of the gearbox however. Anyone know if this is from another model Hyundai or is it bespoke for the i30N ?

I have looked at Hyundai Mobis, Dymos and Wia websites and it does appear to be a brand new gearbox, just filled whatever is available in their parts bin. The casing is probably the T044S6/M6LF1 with a higher rating of 431nm/318 lbft but ratios are all different. I would have thought it was an overkill at stock power levels since it weighs 140 lbs but it is quite likely given the i30n is not a light car.

Last edited:

Stash-N

I have said it before but I will say it again " I love this forum !" No way you can find the info members like koevasi has posted for us from a dealership. You could surf all day on the internet and not find this stuff. Big thanks koevasi :D