• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Fuel economy

Alcpone80

Sep 29, 2020
Co. Durham
The i30N Performance is definitely not a car you should get if mpg is something you are going to worry about. I am pretty good at driving efficiently and I get about 27/28. That's mainly B/A road driving. No motorway. If I were you I would keep what you have for now, a 120d puts out about 180/190bhp if I'm not wrong, for a young lad that needs to save up that isn't too bad a motor. Don't buy something you will regret abit down the line. Or why don't you think about getting another derv car with abit more power?

Chxrlos17

Apr 11, 2021
England
The i30N Performance is definitely not a car you should get if mpg is something you are going to worry about. I am pretty good at driving efficiently and I get about 27/28. That's mainly B/A road driving. No motorway. If I were you I would keep what you have for now, a 120d puts out about 180/190bhp if I'm not wrong, for a young lad that needs to save up that isn't too bad a motor. Don't buy something you will regret abit down the line. Or why don't you think about getting another derv car with abit more power?
Rate this reply, 120D is awesome for me, just had such an appeal to the i30N which you can understand. I will keep the i30N for a dream car in the future :).

thanks

Reactions: Alcpone80

Clemet

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2020
Norway
Rate this reply, 120D is awesome for me, just had such an appeal to the i30N which you can understand. I will keep the i30N for a dream car in the future :).

thanks

Imagine a BMW owner saying he will keep a Hyundai as a dream car for the future 4 years ago :D
Nobody would have believed that!

Reactions: salemetal

Kasi30N

Nthusiast
Aug 4, 2020
South West Wales/Birmingham, U.K.
Sound like you’re in a similar boat to me. I’ve had an i30N for about 8 months now. I’m 23 and my aims are to save for wedding/house etc all that stuff... I’d say I average ~23-24 mpg. It can be as low as 16-17 mpg when I’m giving it some and 30-33 when driving in eco. For me it was a no brainer because I love cars. Yes I end up spending about 200 a month on fuel that could be saved...but the car really does make me smile. It’s obviously up to you. The sensible option is always going to be save and buy the more economical car. I’m lucky enough to have a stable professional job so I can take a risk or two and make it back later down the road. But you’re not young forever, money will come and go.

nyhok

Nthusiast
Jan 20, 2021
London
As with all things fuel economy-wise it depends on your driving habbits and trips. I've been mainly doing motorway runs and the weekly shopping run. N-Custom most of time sub 50mph and ECO while on the motorway. Some stats below, I use an app on Android call Fuelio.

1618582328213.png

wizard777

Mar 8, 2020
germany
I have driven several hot hatches so far and the car does indeed need an unusal big amount of fuel in my opinion, if you push it hard.

I have a small hillclimb kind of route near me which is about 4km long (2,5 miles) with only corners after corners, and when i reseted the bord computer it showed me exactly 25 L/100km (9 mpg) and that was only downhill, so i don't even wanna think about uphill fuel economy. 😆

Moral of the story is, don't reset your bord computer during spirited drives and just pretend it's probably all fine. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: GazmaN and Pastiche

Leroy

Nthusiast
Nov 2, 2018
Milton Keynes
had mine for 2.5 years/32k miles,its averaged 33mpg.
i have a relatively fuel efficient commute of about 22 miles that i get 36-40 mpg but if i'm running late for work that figure drops by a third easily!
i wouldnt buy one if you cant cope with less than 30 mpg.

Felix

Nthusiast
Jan 15, 2020
Germany
I was curious what those mpg numbers mean compared to litres per 100 km. Well, let's say I'm surprised. Converted to from my onboard unit I get < 18 mpg - when driving carefully 😆.

petriN

Jun 22, 2020
Europe
My last longer trip with 18" studless winter tires. Not much traffic and I didn't drive eco in mind.
IMG_3951 2.jpeg
8.4 L/100 km = 28 U.S. MPG

I'm going to check all time statistics when I get back to my car, but I believe it is around 10 L/100km = 23.52 U.S. MPG

petriN

Jun 22, 2020
Europe
With respect to actual fuel economy, the standard economy ratings are pretty close to what drivers can expect overall for both ghe VN and i30N.
You're right. Looking at Hyundai promotion material from the time I purchased the car, it says 8.3L/100km = 28.34 U.S. MPG
and I pretty much get it without even trying.

icelink

Nthusiast
Oct 21, 2018
uk
the best i've got was around 39 whilst babying it on a trip from Scotland. that is uk mpg which works out to about 7.24l/100km. but then, I didn't care how much less it was during city/spirited runs, that exhaust sound was all that mattered haha

Reactions: petriN