• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Front mount intercooler

Well I managed to make it all work. I'll see if I can make a detailed write-up on it later, but I've driven about 1k KMs on it so far without issues. No noticeable increase in turbo lag/transient response, but a huge difference in IATs.

I thought I had left a sensor unplugged when I was watching the IATs stay around 5-10*C above ambient after consecutive 3-4 gear pulls because with the stock intercooler the IATs would skyrocket.

I did have to make a couple of small notches in the back of the stock crash bar, but nothing to be concerned about. Also had to trim the top radiator shroud a little bit, but it's also still mainly intact. All in all, a successful experiment in my opinion, all for $420 CAD. And it still looks OEM from the front with the bumper on :D

20191128_201102.jpg20191129_092401.jpg

Well I managed to make it all work. I'll see if I can make a detailed write-up on it later, but I've driven about 1k KMs on it so far without issues. No noticeable increase in turbo lag/transient response, but a huge difference in IATs.

I thought I had left a sensor unplugged when I was watching the IATs stay around 5-10*C above ambient after consecutive 3-4 gear pulls because with the stock intercooler the IATs would skyrocket.

I did have to make a couple of small notches in the back of the stock crash bar, but nothing to be concerned about. Also had to trim the top radiator shroud a little bit, but it's also still mainly intact. All in all, a successful experiment in my opinion, all for $420 CAD. And it still looks OEM from the front with the bumper on :D

View attachment 10428View attachment 10429
What’s the green thing above the crash bar ?

View attachment 10428View attachment 10429
What brand is intercooler is that and what other parts did you need to make it fit? Where did you purchase everything?

What’s the green thing above the crash bar ?
I had put a bit of masking tape across the rad support to measure centre so I could centre the intercooler on the front end. I removed it afterwards of course.

What brand is intercooler is that and what other parts did you need to make it fit? Where did you purchase everything?

Ebay Racing™ intercooler kit for an FC3S RX-7: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blue-FMIC-Front-Mount-Intercooler-Kit-for-RX7-FC-FC3S-13B-Single-Turbo-86-91/272300618439?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The only extra things I needed to buy were 3 couplers/reducers. 2x 2.25"-2.75" 90* elbow reducers, and 1x 2"-2.25" straight reducer. I managed to use the piping, t-bolt clamps and one of the couplers that came with the kit to adapt the intercooler to the stock intercooler piping.

I had to cut the 2 bottom tabs of the intercooler core about 1cm to fit on the bottom of the radsupport properly, but no welding or anything required. I did bend one upards a bit to fit better though since it was originally angled downwards.

It was a bit of work, but worth saving $800+ for sure. Plus the satisfaction of putting something together/making something work yourself :). Oh and FYI, the intercooler core is good for over 700hp, it's almost double the volume of the stock intercooler, and has over double the surface area (better cooling).

Sxth Element dropped their intercooler kit. They are saying first shipments should happen in January. Def adding this to the wish list next spring. Price is $1310 with no cutting needed. They saw gains of about 8 hp and 6 ft-lb . Don't know what mods are on the car they ran on a dynojet. Assuming it was completely stock under the hood.9F8764E8-3A35-4626-B473-D84EEB6BCAF1.jpeg6AE4CAC9-C346-4D88-92E1-AE84DCD35855.jpegD6426CDB-3DEE-4476-93EA-05BAB597D98F.jpeg50C5A87F-A682-4B80-854A-4721D61329B2.jpeg3D08D67D-2E73-40FD-B260-CEC7C8D658DC.jpegED38037B-F119-4582-8FBB-AB91311DFFDA.jpegCA7838EF-864C-4A38-845E-44AD33DFF2CE.jpegE3B8F4DC-A427-4214-804A-DFBE12E679CC.jpeg

Reactions: R Veloster N
Intake for sure but I don't believe a tune or downpipe. You can see the difference in heat soak with the two readings. 146.5 - 186.8 F so there's more cooling potential in the intercooler as well. They won't know this until they get it out and data log temps.

Wish they'd have done this with both OEM and upgraded intercooler between installs. It's a much better representation, then running it on a static bench or dyno.

Thanks again Chris, for originally posting this.

Intake for sure but I don't believe a tune or downpipe. You can see the difference in heat soak with the two readings. 146.5 - 186.8 F so there's more cooling potential in the intercooler as well. They won't know this until they get it out and data log temps.

Wish they'd have done this with both OEM and upgraded intercooler between installs. It's a much better representation, then running it on a static bench or dyno.

I’m sure this is only the beginning of their testing. They haven’t posted any official updates on their website and seeing as its only on their story and not an official post leads me to believe they just wanted to throw those who purchased the unit in good faith a bone to hold us over for now.

To be fair it's where I screenshotted the video my bad haha. Both inlet temps were between 220-230 at there highest from what I can see. You’re right def Af intake. Also you can hear a BOV. More accurate pics below.234407D8-BB28-41AC-8C05-67CBE2055A1F.jpeg71682760-6B96-4FC6-AF78-03882B057315.jpeg

Keep in mind these are static pulls. They'll get cooler temp drops on the move. They can't move enough air with fans to duplicate at speed. Data Logging, data logging, datalogging.:p

Last edited: