• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Front mount intercooler

Well I managed to make it all work. I'll see if I can make a detailed write-up on it later, but I've driven about 1k KMs on it so far without issues. No noticeable increase in turbo lag/transient response, but a huge difference in IATs.

I thought I had left a sensor unplugged when I was watching the IATs stay around 5-10*C above ambient after consecutive 3-4 gear pulls because with the stock intercooler the IATs would skyrocket.

I did have to make a couple of small notches in the back of the stock crash bar, but nothing to be concerned about. Also had to trim the top radiator shroud a little bit, but it's also still mainly intact. All in all, a successful experiment in my opinion, all for $420 CAD. And it still looks OEM from the front with the bumper on :D

20191128_201102.jpg 20191129_092401.jpg

Well I managed to make it all work. I'll see if I can make a detailed write-up on it later, but I've driven about 1k KMs on it so far without issues. No noticeable increase in turbo lag/transient response, but a huge difference in IATs.

I thought I had left a sensor unplugged when I was watching the IATs stay around 5-10*C above ambient after consecutive 3-4 gear pulls because with the stock intercooler the IATs would skyrocket.

I did have to make a couple of small notches in the back of the stock crash bar, but nothing to be concerned about. Also had to trim the top radiator shroud a little bit, but it's also still mainly intact. All in all, a successful experiment in my opinion, all for $420 CAD. And it still looks OEM from the front with the bumper on :D

View attachment 10428 View attachment 10429
What’s the green thing above the crash bar ?

View attachment 10428 View attachment 10429
What brand is intercooler is that and what other parts did you need to make it fit? Where did you purchase everything?

What’s the green thing above the crash bar ?
I had put a bit of masking tape across the rad support to measure centre so I could centre the intercooler on the front end. I removed it afterwards of course.

What brand is intercooler is that and what other parts did you need to make it fit? Where did you purchase everything?
Ebay Racing™ intercooler kit for an FC3S RX-7: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blue-FMIC-Front-Mount-Intercooler-Kit-for-RX7-FC-FC3S-13B-Single-Turbo-86-91/272300618439?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The only extra things I needed to buy were 3 couplers/reducers. 2x 2.25"-2.75" 90* elbow reducers, and 1x 2"-2.25" straight reducer. I managed to use the piping, t-bolt clamps and one of the couplers that came with the kit to adapt the intercooler to the stock intercooler piping.

I had to cut the 2 bottom tabs of the intercooler core about 1cm to fit on the bottom of the radsupport properly, but no welding or anything required. I did bend one upards a bit to fit better though since it was originally angled downwards.

It was a bit of work, but worth saving $800+ for sure. Plus the satisfaction of putting something together/making something work yourself :). Oh and FYI, the intercooler core is good for over 700hp, it's almost double the volume of the stock intercooler, and has over double the surface area (better cooling).