• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

First service oil change

Megamold

Dec 26, 2019
belgium
I have a small question about the first oil change and the maintenance interval.
When i picked up the car it had 6k km (3700miles) on the clock The dealer told me to bring the car in every 15k km (9000miles) for service, ok fair enough.
So i asked him if the car already had an oil change after the run-in period and he told me that it doesn't need an oil change until it reached it's first service or 12 months of age.

is it just me, or does that seem awfully long to wait to change oil full of metal particles and general crud from the run-in?

PeterP

Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
I have a small question about the first oil change and the maintenance interval.
When i picked up the car it had 6k km (3700miles) on the clock The dealer told me to bring the car in every 15k km (9000miles) for service, ok fair enough.
So i asked him if the car already had an oil change after the run-in period and he told me that it doesn't need an oil change until it reached it's first service or 12 months of age.

is it just me, or does that seem awfully long to wait to change oil full of metal particles and general crud from the run-in?
Here i have 10k kms intervals...even though i already did 3 oil+filter changes first at 6k, second at 12k and last one at 19.7k, right now i am on 27.2k and will do it at 30k like planned. After the 30k one i will see depending on how heavy my foot is ;)

Megamold

Dec 26, 2019
belgium
would you suggest doing it myself or having it done by the dealer? i always changed the oil on my motorcycles myself.

I'm a little weary of doing it on my car since i dont really have a proper jack (yet) or oil catch and because it's my only mode of transport :D

edit: also i was always told that to change the oil on a car it's best to have it level so you need to get access to a lift?

s.arhangelov

Aug 26, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

The run-in oil change is not mandatory so most people don't do it. My dealer lists it as recommended so I did it. After that my service interval is 10k km. It is different in some countries but is always between 10k and 20k km. I recommend doing it every 10k km so you have greater peace of mind. I do mine at the dealer because they also check the car for any faults while it's in (suspension, fluids, leaks etc.) and there is ALWAYS a damn rattle that needs fixing :D

GazmaN

Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
Hyundai GDI engine every 5K miles max oil and filter service interval,in the US for the same engine. Go figure!:)
Regardless of what Hyundai, anyone on this forum, or even anyone on this planet says, any performance car I own (or have owned) gets an oil and filter change every 5K km. You can say I'm throwing my money away but I just don't care.

Megamold

Dec 26, 2019
belgium
It's also not the most expensive thing to do so i might do the same, just need to find some drive up style bridges so i can get underneath :D

Reactions: GazmaN

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Regardless of what Hyundai, anyone on this forum, or even anyone on this planet says, any performance car I own (or have owned) gets an oil and filter change every 5K km. You can say I'm throwing my money away but I just don't care.
I change every 3K miles, so I suppose we're in the same boat so to speak.:D

Reactions: GazmaN