• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Fire extinguisher

mrlaro91

Nthusiast
May 2, 2018
ITALY
Hi folks ! I saw in an another thread on forum that Hyundai Australia makes a kit wich is included the Fire Extinguisher with passenger seats mount.
I tried to find it on the net but nothing official Hyundai , only the aftermarket products.
Does anyone know about that ? Thank you

Im interested, can u please add the link to the Australia forum?

It probably won’t be released for awhile, would need sign off etc. from HQ. If it does get released...

Reactions: Raven75
Built my own today. Hidden for daily driving and seat back for CAMS track days.

Great idea, I think every car should have a fire extinguisher, just in case. In 40 years of driving, I have used my extinguisher three times at accident scenes. Maybe didn't save a life, but certainly prevented a lot of damage.

I love the idea of it being hidden under the seat, but may be hard to get out if your car has lost power because of a fire, and no-one knows it is there except you. It might be handy if you are unconscious, and your N is about to go up in flames for it to be visible. :)

Because I am cheap, I made my own bracket also. I bought a 1m length of 50mm by 5mm aluminium, cut a 500mm piece, rounded both ends, like this:

Bracket 1.jpg

Cut two more pieces from the rest, and made two brackets that look like this:

Bracket 2.jpg

Attached them to the mounting plate using countersunk bolts and nylocks, sanded, primed and painted the whole thing in gloss black, then attached the bracket with the the same bolts and nylocks.

Looks like this:

IMG_6004.jpg

Ended up shortening the horizontal arms of the angle brackets, and mounting them underneath the seat rails, rather than on top inside the rails, as they don't impede the seat movement that way.

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6022.jpg

$20 in materials, spray primer and paint I had in the shed, and 1 hours labour.

Geez, I charge $95.00 per hour for my time. I should have just bought one from Hyundai! LOL, It was therapeutic at least.....

Attachments

• Bracket 1.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Bracket 2.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: GazmaN
Could certainly save a lot of grief, I once saw a car catch fire in a layby, from a small puff of smoke rising from under the bonnet to the car being engulfed and totally destroyed took less than five minutes! :eek:

Fire extinguishers are a brilliant piece of equipment, and I too believe, that they should be mandatory in all motor vehicles. I've also been caught out a number of times with under bonnet fires, once on my own vehicle, and even saved from a critical incident at a BBQ!

I bought my bracket from eBay Australia, Phil Gilbert Hyundai sell them. Price is on the high side of things, but I bought it expecting it to be a good fit into the vehicle.

It fit reasonably well, but I did find it limited the forward movement of the seat, which is a bit of a problem, as I do have a baby capsule in the back seat.

Anyhow, feedback and pics are always useful.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 88
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 85
Fire extinguishers are a brilliant piece of equipment, and I too believe, that they should be mandatory in all motor vehicles. I've also been caught out a number of times with under bonnet fires, once on my own vehicle, and even saved from a critical incident at a BBQ!

I bought my bracket from eBay Australia, Phil Gilbert Hyundai sell them. Price is on the high side of things, but I bought it expecting it to be a good fit into the vehicle.

It fit reasonably well, but I did find it limited the forward movement of the seat, which is a bit of a problem, as I do have a baby capsule in the back seat.

Thanks for this. Passenger side, yeah? Is it plug and play with clasps and everything so only tool required is a socket set i.e. just fit under seat bolts, buy extinguisher, secure and off ya go?

Reactions: smoov
Thanks for this. Passenger side, yeah? Is it plug and play with clasps and everything so only tool required is a socket set i.e. just fit under seat bolts, buy extinguisher, secure and off ya go?

Yes sir. Passenger side. Bolt in and go.

8mm spanner & socket to mount fire extinguisher's bracket to the Hyundai bracket.
14mm socket with a couple of extensions (to clear the seat/console) for the front seat bolts.

I also found that putting the fire extinguisher bracket UNDER the seat rails, gives you a little more clearance with the forward travel of the seat. (instructions specify to mount the bracket over the rails)

I was half tempted to grind off the corners of the bracket, but it's powdercoated, and I also figured that it may compromise some of the structural rigidity.

Maybe at a later date...

Yes sir. Passenger side. Bolt in and go.

8mm spanner & socket to mount fire extinguisher's bracket to the Hyundai bracket.
14mm socket with a couple of extensions (to clear the seat/console) for the front seat bolts.

I also found that putting the fire extinguisher bracket UNDER the seat rails, gives you a little more clearance with the forward travel of the seat. (instructions specify to mount the bracket over the rails)

I was half tempted to grind off the corners of the bracket, but it's powdercoated, and I also figured that it may compromise some of the structural rigidity.

Maybe at a later date...
Brilliant, thanks heaps mate. Hitting ebay now! Extinguisher from Supercheap as per the Phil Gilbert ad?

I think every car should have a fire extinguisher, just in case.
The most important action in the event of a vehicle fire is to get out. Having the untrained and unskilled trying to release and operate a fire extinguisher while sat in a burning vehicle is a Health and Safety nightmare. That's why they will never be standard kit on road cars.

Their principal usefulness is for fighting fires in other vehicles, e.g. on a track day.

I found the same problem with my home made bracket, so I re positioned the arms UNDER the seat rails rather than inside. The seat is raised at the front by 5mm (not noticeable) and you now have full forward movement of the passenger seat again.

Easy fix....

Reactions: smoov
The most important action in the event of a vehicle fire is to get out. Having the untrained and unskilled trying to release and operate a fire extinguisher while sat in a burning vehicle is a Health and Safety nightmare. That's why they will never be standard kit on road cars.

Their principal usefulness is for fighting fires in other vehicles, e.g. on a track day.

Whilst I totally agree with getting out of a burning car as fast as possible, did I say it was necessary for you to fight your own fire whilst sitting in your own vehicle? No, I said I think every car should have an extinguisher. The three times I have used mine have all been on road accidents or incidents (like a brand new Subaru Forester going up in flames after 2 days!) on other people's cars. But if my car was on fire (like an under bonnet fire), it would be handy to have one in arms reach.

In a world where most people drive mind numbing automatics, and their car has AEB, lane keeping assistance, and possible several other driver assists, maybe working out how to unclip the extinguisher, pull a pin, and point and shoot will be too difficult for them.

But seriously, 98% of the driving population can surely work out how to remove and use the extinguisher in about 20 seconds, and if everyone had one (in the same spot in the car), the roads would be a safer place, for less than 50 bucks a car. And the other 2% will be eventually eliminated by natural selection! :)

Reactions: simmo777 and smoov