• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis Experience with Camber / Strut Tops for I30N

mesai30n

Nthusiast
Jun 18, 2020
Australia
Does anyone have experience in running Camber/Strut tops for I30n with factory shocks?

I've been asking questions from Whiteline and installers about various Camber/Strut Tops that are available for I30n.

Basically the key takeaways I'm getting from them are:
  • If you run more than approx. -2.5 degrees of camber with strut tops, it will cause the damage to the OEM damper, and throw error codes
  • Any 'aggressive' camber setting is best suited for aftermarket shocks. Thus some manufacturers are providing 'suitable for aftermarket' disclaimers.
So if I want to increase camber on fronts, to create more mechanical grip and balance wear for track use I really only have one option which is coilovers or aftermarket shocks.

Are you running camber without any of these issues? Whats your setup?

I’ve been running the whiteline top mounts for about a year and done around 6 trackdays with them fitted including the Nurburgring with no issues, I’m planning to fit a set of eibach lowering springs as I now require a slightly stiffer spring rating to match the semi slicks, whiteline don’t advise running lowering springs with their top mounts because the offset can cause the wider spring to hit the chassis so I will have to do some measuring and see how I get on.

Reactions: mesai30n
No, there are other VN members who have had similar issues. If Whiteline UK is telling you to try it, it’s an experiment with individual consequences. If Whiteline from Australia tells you, it’s because they’ve already tried, found out and know.👍🇺🇸

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN
I've personally wrecked two sets of front struts as a result of using the whiteline strut tops in conjunction with camber bolts. I have another thread on here with some more details.
I've heard from one vendor say that you can safely run about 1 degree of negative camber if driving on the street and maybe -1.5 if driving on smooth tracks only. Additionally, he said the oem struts cannot handle the extra load during impacts from rough roads since the struts are at a greater angle.

When my first set of struts died, it took roughly 2 weeks and I had 2.4 degrees of camber... daily driving the car. When I installed my 2nd set, I went with -2 degrees and they failed 2 weeks later.

I've been on an OEM setup with -0.6 to -0.7 camber for about two weeks now with no issues. I'm not ready to say it's fixed yet, but I feel pretty confident that I will soon.

I have a feeling those running aggressive amounts of camber have smoother roads and take it easy on public roads. But I do not know for sure.

Let me know what you end up doing and what the roads that you drive on are like.

Reactions: R Veloster N