• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Experience with bigger intercooler

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
well I can tell you this yesterday after doing some highway pulls on the way to a car show I was seeing intake temps of around 120-130°F And the car was definitely pulling timing because she felt like a total dog. My car will very rarely see a track but summers here are rough usually humid and hot. And this is one of the reasons why I’ll be running an intercooler.

Reactions: R Veloster N

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Last edited:

jeroenvde

Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
Any toughts on the PRO ALLOY IC? :D

Look big enough!

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in contact.

Our all new Hyundai i30 N Intercooler kit is currently undergoing testing with Klasen-Motors.com in Germany.

Once this has been completing and we have had fed back, production will be underway. So I should think within the next 4-6 weeks.

This particular unit with be sold exclusively through our friends over at Courtenay Sport and Klasen-Motors. So they will be the Guys to go to for all your info and shipping details

https://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Hope this has helped

Kind regards, Louise.
#TeamPRO

WestsideTouge

Feb 26, 2018
Sooo I wasn't going to change much on my car but after seeing how hot the intake temps get, I had the Forge intercooler installed :rolleyes:
I logged some data to compare stock and upgraded.
At the same speed or city driving, there's no real difference but the temps drop very quick with wot. Just like in the simon motorsport video I got 5°c above ambient.
More interesting is how the prevention of lost ponies due to the colder intake temps, translates to performance.
I measured 3rd gear 80-120kph many times with my 10hz garmin gps (on the same flat road).

At 17°c ambient:
Stock intercooler: 3,6s-3,7s with one best time of 3,5s.
Forge intercooler: 3,4s-3,5s with two best times of 3,3s. Also 70-140kph times: 6,3s-6,5s

At 32°c ambient:
Only tested with the Forge intercooler: constant 3,6s-3,7s. Also 70-140kph: 6,8s-7,1s

Really happy with this upgrade, even if the gains are small compared to the price. It feels like the car is always ready now instead of the feeling that sometimes overboost is not kicking in. It's noticable at the top end as well. All times were consistently better. I wish I timed the stock intercooler at over 30°c ambient but in 22°c weather, it was already dropping to 3,7s-3,8s.
Ambient from 32 to 17°c gives a consistent 0.5s faster time from 70-140kph. When I find a flat road to test 100-200kph without going to jail or die, I will surely have a go :cool:

I'm curious about the times I get in the colder months but not expecting miracles.
The video that tested the stock car at 6°c ambient and got 3,4s and 6,3s

If all goes to plan, I can log more intake temp data at the Zolder trackday next month.

FastbackJLQ

Mar 26, 2019
Illawarra NSW
This is the IC from impossible fab in conjunction with plazmaman. I’m not tracking but given my spirited driving and regular hot days here in Australia I thought it was a good idea. I did notice a slight reduction in responsiveness at low rpm but it seemed to pull harder at mid-high rpm. Anyway as others have said the main point is to maintain power not gain power.

1BF2E5B0-FB33-4D7D-93AB-038D0BAC6D44.jpeg

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Larger Intercooler will cause additional Turbo Lag.

I'm curious, where's the front bumper Energy Rail and bumper beam assembly?😕 You need this in place, to mount and support the front bumper fascia.

With it in place, you're definately going to lose some of the FMIC cooling capacity.😲

FastbackJLQ

Mar 26, 2019
Illawarra NSW
Yes pic was taken before that went back on. The IC is actually quite a bit deeper/thicker than standard, so there are some extender plates on each side that push the bumper beam assembly out slightly. The energy rail is a new one (part of kit) and therefore the foam on the inside of the bumper fascia is slightly modified (again a new modified piece comes with the kit). Everything needed comes with the kit so nothing needs to be modified when doing the install, and so that you retain all original parts and can revert back to standard if desired. I got them to do the install.

Agreed the bumper assembly covers some of the IC but it is still WAY bigger than standard, so it should have the intended benefit.

H13ONN

Nov 12, 2019
Essex
Yes pic was taken before that went back on. The IC is actually quite a bit deeper/thicker than standard, so there are some extender plates on each side that push the bumper beam assembly out slightly. The energy rail is a new one (part of kit) and therefore the foam on the inside of the bumper fascia is slightly modified (again a new modified piece comes with the kit). Everything needed comes with the kit so nothing needs to be modified when doing the install, and so that you retain all original parts and can revert back to standard if desired. I got them to do the install.

Agreed the bumper assembly covers some of the IC but it is still WAY bigger than standard, so it should have the intended benefit.
Any photos of this with bumper etc all fully fitted back on?