• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Experience with bigger intercooler

Hi, do somebody have experience with bigger intercooler? Im thinking about buying wagner and want to know if it bigger ic have any downsides or how it changes i30N.

NULLOBANDITO

Short version: i30N's stock intercooler is, uh, "undersized" (read: crap) and tends to heat-soak quickly. Even a stock car will gain an endurance/slight performance boost from a better intercooler.

Mingy

Hi, do somebody have experience with bigger intercooler? Im thinking about buying wagner and want to know if it bigger ic have any downsides or how it changes i30N.
Is the Wagner actually available yet? Thought it was still in production and not released yet? They keep postponing..

TarmoT

Hmm... I have Wagner IC on my car and I know one more car in Poland at least who has it too. Wagner is this type of company who is producing some amount of products to the stock and will start to sell them. Before stock runs empty, they does not produce more. If stock runs empty, they will start to produce another amount of products and it will cause moments when product will be not available 1,5-months.

Mingy

Hmm... I have Wagner IC on my car and I know one more car in Poland at least who has it too. Wagner is this type of company who is producing some amount of products to the stock and will start to sell them. Before stock runs empty, they does not produce more. If stock runs empty, they will start to produce another amount of products and it will cause moments when product will be not available 1,5-months.
Thanks TarmoT, funny because i just checked today and it's finally available in our country from supplier, they must have received it this week because when i checked last week it wasn't here.

How long did install take? Front bar off, remove existing and slot Wagner in? Have to do anything with the radiator support? I haven't experienced any heat soak at the track so I'm on the fence of whether or not the cost is worth it..

TarmoT

To Mingy - installation takes less than hour and there is one video in German, where you can see how it goes (you can start to look it from 10:00):

To Muflon - if price is the same, buy Forge because it comes with upgrade hard pipe too. If Foge is much more expensive, go for Wagner. They both are good and as I wrote before - our cars need it.

GazmaN

Just my advice - buy it and install. Our cars are bagging for colder air.
^This.

The more cold air we can feed this thing, the better. We don't have winter where I live but our 'dry season' has just kicked in. We just had a freakish 17 degree celsius morning the other day (considered positively polar here after high 20s / low 30s previous week) and almost no humidity. When I went for my pre-dawn run I could actually taste oxygen instead of having to 'chew' my way through the atmosphere. I performed so much better and knew the N would too...

So I got the other half to drop the kid off to school and drove into work early before the traffic and temp picked up. Aircon off, windows down, Sport+ everything and got stuck into it once I had some oil temperature. My N had not experienced ambient temps under 25 and humidity less than around 80% before this and WOW - very noticeable increase in throttle response and power, and the 'bark' from the exhaust was incredible. I honestly felt like it had gained 20+ hp, best she has ever performed by far.

No, I don't have an aftermarket intercooler, but colder air clearly = awesomeness. And for me there was no charge :).

We have the Forge Intercooler fitted to ours, its incredible it brought down the temperatures of the engine considerably meaning I can push harder for longer! anyone with the i30N must have seen how hot it gets especially when the sun is out! we offer a discount for n-cars.net! BTW the Forge one is better then the Wagner much bigger and better.

find it here https://potnshop.co.uk/collections/hyundai-i30n/products/forge-uprated-intercooler-for-hyundai-i30n

Over 71% increase in frontal area
Over 129% increase in volume
Larger inlet and outlet pipes.